Dr Bocci

thigh holster for when tshtf

The only advantage to a thigh rig is when you can't hip holster due to wearing a plate carrier that would be loaded with mags and other various tacticool shtuff getting in the way.

I shoot regularly with body armor, chest rig, and belt mounted holster.. no issues..

Thigh holsters were popularized by the SAS when everyone saw them in use at Princes Gate in 1980. By the late 80s early 90s they were accepted as "the thing to have". They are useful if you need access to your handgun while parachuting or rappelling. They also give you a place to have a holster if your waist is filled with ammo pouches or other gear. They suck for general purpose.

They do look cool though.

I carry in a drop rig fairly regularly for work. It is not my preferred carry but I make it work. I also train with this system the lion's share of the time because it demands more time to stay proficient with it. With consistant regular practice you can get pretty fast with them. A few friends and I shoot in the Steel Comps at OBRPC with them and do respectably.

Drop rig pluses and minuses

Pluses:

1) High CDI (Chicks Dig It) factor

2) Easier access to your pistol when jocked up in full kit and armor (Same problem can be solved with a Safariland 1.5" UBL)

3) Frees up a little space on a warbelt or the strong side of your armor for more gear

4) Frees the waist for a harness if doing rope work

Minuses:

1) Weak weapon retention

2) Slower draw stroke

3) Inconsistant drawstroke

4) Uncomfortable

5) Heavy

6) Hard to draw while seated

7) Hard to conceal

8) Hard to run when wearing one

9) Gets caught or bangs into everything, especially when you are trying to be sneaky-sneaky

10) Did I mention it is uncomfortable

11) Not useful with most asymmetric shooting positions

If you arent wearing full armor (soft armor under front, rear, and side rifle plates) or doing rope work while armed, you will be much better served with a belt mounted holster, especially in a SHTF situation.

Why would you carry a pistol in a manner that will slow you down, offers less ability to maintain control over your weapon, and allows everyone to see you are armed, if you have a choice?

If you are absolutely sold on getting one then Safariland ALS is the way to go. Get the following from Safariland and build your own:

6004-10 single strap shroud

6004-DFA Belt attachment

6365-83-132 Glock 19 ALS Holster Left handed

Also, wearing it as high as you can on your thigh will partially mitigate most of the issues with a drop holster. Don't wear it just above the knee, like I see so many people do. It should be just low enough that the single strap just fits under the crotch, no lower.

I hate drawing from leg holsters. It's not comfortable at all and for an every day carry Idk. Guess practice can make perfect.

I find drawing from the thigh much more intuitive. But yeah- the real reason is to keep it out of the way while wearing a pack or other accessories.

I don't remember where I got mine, it's ballistic nylon, and it was cheap. Just start with the cheap warehouses like Cheaper Than Dirt and Sportman's Guide... shouldn't be difficult to find one.

I may have a little bit of insight into this. About four years ago, I carried a Beretta M9 in a thigh holster every day. This lasted about two months. I switched to a belt holster and occasional shoulder holster when I was wearing pants that didn't have belt loops. I never looked back at the thigh holster.

The one thing that nobody here mentioned is that thigh holsters chafe... you need to wear under armor underwear or some kind of spandex shorts under your clothes if you want to wear a thigh holster.

#1. The S is never going to HTF.

#2. If the S ever HTF, we will still be subject to New Jersey law for a few days. If you are running around with a trauma plate and chest rig with a thigh holster, a police officer or National Guardsman is going to shoot you. Maybe this wouldn't be the case in Alabama, but it sure as hell would be here. Just because the SHTF doesn't mean that police are suddenly going to be okay with you walking around with a gun. If anything, they will be even more on edge about guns than they are now.

#3. Thigh holsters work really well for women or small men who are cops and simply don't have enough room on their waist for all of the crap their department makes them carry on their duty belt. A thigh holster frees up some room. It's still uncomfortable as hell, though. When you are sitting down and a lefty, the thigh holster usually flops to the left and pulls on your pants. You have to tighten it to get it to sit right, but it does it anyway.

#4. Don't be this guy:

k153503_nutnfancy.png

This is the type of guy who has a box of thigh holsters. Do you really want to be this guy? I think he is most likely to get killed by a cop in the first 11 seconds of SHTF while he is giving his righteous sheepdog speech.

All that being said... if you really want a thigh holster, look into a Safariland ALS Tactical holster. It will cost you about $150, but you can get one for the Glock 19 and it is very comfortable. It also has retention features, which is important when you are carrying gun that is now a mile away from your hand.

Best of luck, but in my opinion, that $150 for a thigh holster would be better spent donating to NJ2AS so one day you can buy an IWB holster and exercise your rights like a free man.

I have to +1 Mcbethr's post, I completely agree with everything you stated.

With that said, I am unsure the reason as to why you would want a thigh holster for some future situation. In my opinion, you're much better off with an IWB or even OWB that conceals your pistol well.

Why don't you just buy one of those $20 nylon "mil-spec" thigh rigs to find out if you really want/need a thigh rig?

Back 12 years ago when I bought my first handgun I wanted to be all tacti-cool. I bought a thigh rig. Waste of money. It chafed, it was ugly, it snagged on everything... it was a giant pain in the rear.

What i like about the blackhawk line up, you have all the options with a single holster. I would opt for a blackhawk strike rig or something similar, you can get the stike mount and put in on the vest or on your leg, or you can use the standard belt loop or paddle that comes with the holster. You can put gear on the drop down with the molle attachments, and move the pistol up. You can integrate soft and plated armor into it down the line. There is little strategic advantage having it on your leg.

holster on your chest might be best in a vehicle, and on your hip while on foot

You want to keep the weight of your gear placed on your body where there is little movement.

Thanks everyone for your responses. My thought was it would be better placed during the winter if I was wearing a coat or of I had a pack on. I've never carried so I really didn't know that these holsters were not liked. I figured if the military used them they did so for a reason that wasn't just because it looked cool.

You can use the MLS and QLS forks from Safariland to do the same thing as far as quickly moving the holster from thigh to hip to chest.

This is true and a great suggestion. I use the fork and receiver plate system so I can switch weapon holsters/platforms any time I want to. You can leave a receiver plate on a paddle, belt mounted, vest mounted, or thigh rig, and have the forks on all your holsters. This allows any holster to be attached to any platform in just a few seconds. Plug and play.

I also second the recommendation for the Safariland single strap shroud, and DFA.

I figured if the military used them they did so for a reason that wasn't just because it looked cool.

For the military... it does have a reason... generally our troops are carrying lots of stuff on their chest/belt (plate carrier, mags, camelback, radio, gasmask, first aid kit, etc, personal gear), or wearing a hardness or something. For our LEOs, there's different requirements (department requirments, or weapon retention priorities, for example). For us civilians, generally we'd be carrying for competition, training or CCW (in a free state), or even a mix of those, so it's another set of requirements entirely.

It's mainly a requirements-based decision, but personal preferences play heavily. I'm sticking to my suggestion that you start with an inexpensive one (or even the modular type, so you can convert it to a belt type without "wasting" a holster) until you know you want it and like it.

Seriously, SHTF? People really still believe this stuff I guess.

Its cool and mall ninja-ish and I can understand wanting to have it. Nice to play solider boy. Heck, I have one just for the heck. In a realistic disaster or calamity scenario you want everything concealed (non-mil or uniformed LEO). You'll probably live longer that way. But don't bet that one day you'll be running on streets with drop-leg holster with your AR in a lawless society or SHTF event. If you are in active duty then whatever your department gives you should do. Don't hate me, just keeping it real. ;-)