rdsmith3

Accuracy better at longer distance?!

I am relatively new to firearms. I have been shooting less than a year. Also, due to some personal events, I have not been to the range in a few months. (This is just a long-winded way of saying that I am not a great shooter.) The other day, I took my Walther PPQ 9mm to RTSP to practice. I was shooting at small 18"x12" targets at 5, 7, and 10 yards. It looks to me like I was more accurate at 7 yards than at 5, and maybe even more accurate at 10 than at 5. I did not shoot the same number of rounds at each target, and the targets are slightly different, so it is not an easy comparison.

I have noticed this before. It is a problem with the gun, or is it something I am doing wrong?

5 yards

i-kZb6pVw-L.jpg

7 yards

i-9sRbW6h-L.jpg

10 yards

i-8D2rCWM-L.jpg

Most likely you are simply concentrating more carefully at longer distances. Larry Vickers coined the phrase "aim small, miss small." At close distance the bullseye seems so large it is tempting to aim generally for all that red space rather than a specific point. Next time try to aim for a very specific point rather than the general bullseye area, and concentrate as hard as at longer distance.

Most likely you are simply concentrating more carefully at longer distances. Larry Vickers coined the phrase "aim small, miss small." At close distance the bullseye seems so large it is tempting to aim generally for all that red space rather than a specific point. Next time try to aim for a very specific point rather than the general bullseye area, and concentrate as hard as at longer distance.

+1

Sorry, they all look like basically the same group with some targets having more rounds shot at them and 7 and 10 yards having more flinching rather than just technique issues. I doubt it is the gun as there is no significant difference between 5, 7, and 10 yards that would make a mechanical issue become apparent, go away, and become apparent again.

Since you used 2 different sized targets (it looks like the red portion on the 5yd target appears larger than the red portion on the 7 and 10 yard targets) and fired a different number of shots at each range, it is hard to diagnose any issues you may be having. However, looking at your targets, I would say that your best group is at the 7.

Looks like warming up at the 5 you had some anticipation issues, and at the 10 I would bet trigger control is the culprit.

I would work on some trigger control/trigger reset drils next time at the range and practice the Wall Drill (http://pistol-training.com/drills/wall-drill) while at home. (I also like to do the Wall Drill at the range with a live-fire twist. I go 15 dry fire, then 5 live rounds shooting for the smallest possible group you can manage. I repeat this 3 times. Once at the 3, then 5, and finally 7 yard line)

I would also start my next range session by running targets at 5, 7, and 10 again and then shooting the same number of shots at each target. The next range session I would do the same, except start at 10, then move in to the 7, and 5yd line, just to get a baseline and see what you need to work on. Have a plan when you go to the range and set aside 50-100 rounds for pure training at the beginnning of each session before you shoot for fun or test yourself with something new. Take notes on your progress and log the drills you do and how well you do on them.

Finally, save some cash and get some training. There is nothing like having and experienced trainer watch you shoot and making little corrections to jumpstart progress.

Good Luck!