leahcim

Plate scanners--again

I love these arguments about how getting stopped for expired reg/dl is nothing but bored overpaid cops messing with people for fun..until you get hit by someone with expired or no reg/dl/insurance then its why dont cops enforce the law..people love to have it both ways..and for the finale comes the standard talking point of "I pay your salary and youre overpaid and you guys are the reason for the financial collapse"...

Which is pretty much why we just poitn and laugh now. Mind over matter.. I dont because in the grand Scheme of things, The Cop haters dont.

I love these arguments about how getting stopped for expired reg/dl is nothing but bored overpaid cops messing with people for fun..until you get hit by someone with expired or no reg/dl/insurance then its why dont cops enforce the law..people love to have it both ways..and for the finale comes the standard talking point of "I pay your salary and youre overpaid and you guys are the reason for the financial collapse"...

This is the standard argument for those that can't think for themselves and hear others argue this mindless babble. What most people don't realize is that much bigger things start off very small.

My posts have more to do with the bigger picture and less to do with the cops. Imho they tend to be biased towards the scanners because they use them.

Fact of the matter is that innocent law abiding citizens are being tracked and monitored. A lot of the information is being stored indefinitely. The potential and inevitable misuse goes against what the founders of this country stood for.

It says a lot that some towns and police departments are against this stuff.

Do you think the cops and politicians would be happy if we started monitoring them? I guarantee they wouldn't. Laws would be enacted very quickly if we started doing that.

I also take issue to the repo companies using this technology as well. The one owner said he hopes to be dealing in information only in a few years. He wants a nationwide web of these things. I say no thanks.

my town is looking into the real time alpr systems....they are looking to be VERY good from a town standpoint. We have problems with drugs. The drug dealer types more often then not seem to forget the inspections, the bench warants etc....it looks like a very good tool to take the criminal element off the streets.

its also a very large commter artery that runs thru the town that makes it viable

My posts have more to do with the bigger picture and less to do with the cops. Imho they tend to be biased towards the scanners because they use them.

Fact of the matter is that innocent law abiding citizens are being tracked and monitored. A lot of the information is being stored indefinitely. The potential and inevitable misuse goes against what the founders of this country stood for.

It says a lot that some towns and police departments are against this stuff.

Do you think the cops and politicians would be happy if we started monitoring them? I guarantee they wouldn't. Laws would be enacted very quickly if we started doing that.

I also take issue to the repo companies using this technology as well. The one owner said he hopes to be dealing in information only in a few years. He wants a nationwide web of these things. I say no thanks.

To a certain extent, I agree on infringing on your rights. Only to an extent though. Driving is a privelage that can be taken away at any point. This is the first thing you are told when taking your driver's license test. If you don't like the rules, don't play the game. Ride a bike, take a bus, train, or walk.

As for repo guys using the technology; what's the problem with that? The people getting their cars repoed, are no longer the owners of the cars because they have defaulted. It is in the lease/loan contract that if you default, the car will be repoed by all means neccessary. After being on a few repo missions myself, I can tell you that there are a lot of times where you drive by the owner sitting in a store parking lot on the way to their home, and don't even realize it. Scanners would prevent the repo from failing, or wasting time.

As much as technology can suck sometimes for the average joe, just play by the rules and you have nothing to worry about. The officers here have already stated that they aren't given any personal information from the scanners. I trust them for what they are saying. If you're lawful with your vehicle, there shouldn't be a problem.

Awesome idea!

We should make a law that anyone who is a sworn officer must have a GPS device mounted on all personal vehicles that they use. It should generate an automatic traffic citation any time they drive above the speed limit.

As law enforcement and politicians like to say, there is nothing to worry about if you don't break the law.

Awesome idea!

We should make a law that anyone who is a sworn officer must have a GPS device mounted on all personal vehicles that they use. It should generate an automatic traffic citation any time they drive above the speed limit.

As law enforcement and politicians like to say, there is nothing to worry about if you don't break the law.

Mount one in your car too. I'm sure every time you speed you get a summons.

To a certain extent, I agree on infringing on your rights. Only to an extent though. Driving is a privelage that can be taken away at any point. This is the first thing you are told when taking your driver's license test. If you don't like the rules, don't play the game. Ride a bike, take a bus, train, or walk.

As much as technology can suck sometimes for the average joe, just play by the rules and you have nothing to worry about. The officers here have already stated that they aren't given any personal information from the scanners. I trust them for what they are saying. If you're lawful with your vehicle, there shouldn't be a problem.

Yes driving is a privilege--which is why I do not have a problem with point-of-use type APRs. It basically just does the same job a patrol officer could do, but much easier, quicker and efficiently and allows the officer to work on other things. My problem comes in when municipalities are retaining all of this data and pictures in a database, maybe merging it with other municipalities, creating a huge record of peoples movements and keeping it indefinitely. This is not legal in NJ, but it is legal in other states. An eternal record of where and when one has been and for how long has nothing to do with one's driving privilege. From a constitutional perspective It may be a gray area or penumbra, but I believe these types of usage may pose a 4A issue.

I got pulled over a few months ago driving my fathers truck, saw the cop sitting on the side of the road, drove past him doing the speed limit not swerving it was the middle of the afternoon on a local side street. 30 seconds later in my rearview I see the cop FLYING up behind me(very unsafe) pulls me over. Comes up to the window tells me the owner of this cars license has expired, 2 questions

Same this happened to my sister in law. Cop was coming from the opposite direction, she was in a turn lane, he proceeded to do a hostile take down by cutting behind the line of traffic, cutting people off, nosing in front of her car, got out, stood by the back door and ordered her out of the car with his hand on his gun. It was Monday, her license expired on the prior Friday. I guess he thought she was a drug kingpin or something instead of a Suburban mom with a young daughter in the back of a late model Acura.

Yes driving is a privilege--which is why I do not have a problem with point-of-use type APRs. It basically just does the same job a patrol officer could do, but much easier, quicker and efficiently and allows the officer to work on other things. My problem comes in when municipalities are retaining all of this data and pictures in a database, maybe merging it with other municipalities, creating a huge record of peoples movements and keeping it indefinitely. This is not legal in NJ, but it is legal in other states. An eternal record of where and when one has been and for how long has nothing to do with one's driving privilege. From a constitutional perspective It may be a gray area or penumbra, but I believe these types of usage may pose a 4A issue.

Bingo. The problem is most people don't think that deep. They just see the surface of the whole situation.

My cousin recently started using Digital Recognition Network's LPR service on all of his trucks. This service logs plate numbers and GPS data for every vehicle it passes. If he enters a number for a plate he is looking for and any other camera connected through the system has ever seen that plate anywhere it will provide him with the date time and location where that plate was last seen. While it is cool, it is technology that can be very easily abused.

Mount one in your car too. I'm sure every time you speed you get a summons.

Nor do I pull other people over when they do.

With great power comes great responsibility. You don't think that as agents of the law, law enforcement personnel should be held to higher standards?

My cousin recently started using Digital Recognition Network's LPR service on all of his trucks. This service logs plate numbers and GPS data for every vehicle it passes. If he enters a number for a plate he is looking for and any other camera connected through the system has ever seen that plate anywhere it will provide him with the date time and location where that plate was last seen. While it is cool, it is technology that can be very easily abused.

I can imagine a kidnapper or something of the likes, which had a reported plate number, being caught because of this tech. To me, THAT outweighs people picking another "constitutional" fight over a privelage. With higher numbers of drivers, a system is needed to keep up. APR's are that answer.

When concerned with privacy and the likes, read this: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-fbis-nationwide-facial-recognition-system-2012-9

All of a sudden, automatic plate readers aren't such a big deal; in the scheme of things.

I bet that most of the people who are real worried about these plate readers also believe those strange helicopters overhead are following them....lets be real...these readers are intended for stolen cars...cars involved in crimes....silver/amber alerts...terrorism etc...amazing how many people think they are important enough to be followed by the govt.

I bet that most of the people who are real worried about these plate readers also believe those strange helicopters overhead are following them....lets be real...these readers are intended for stolen cars...cars involved in crimes....silver/amber alerts...terrorism etc...amazing how many people think they are important enough to be followed by the govt.

You mean the helicopters aren't real. Maybe those that fear plate readers should just take the ticket for obscured plates and wrap the plate in tin foil. That way they have an accessory that matches their hat.

What I have a problem with this is lazy cops trying to use technology to solve their problems without a requisite application of common sense.. Like what Maryland did back during the DC sniper attacks. They fell back to their database of AR-15 owners and started knocking on doors talking about performing ballistic tests on everyone's guns to find the sniper. How many times do cops now turn to things like EZ pass records to see if someone has been in a specific place at a specific time etc. All this data being readily available does nothing more that make fishing expeditions easier, faster and more common with little regard for privacy or the fourth amendment. If they want access to someone's information they should have probable cause and a warrant to have access to it.

What I have a problem with this is lazy cops trying to use technology to solve their problems without a requisite application of common sense.. Like what Maryland did back during the DC sniper attacks. They fell back to their database of AR-15 owners and started knocking on doors talking about performing ballistic tests on everyone's guns to find the sniper. How many times do cops now turn to things like EZ pass records to see if someone has been in a specific place at a specific time etc. All this data being readily available does nothing more that make fishing expeditions easier, faster and more common with little regard for privacy or the fourth amendment. If they want access to someone's information they should have probable cause and a warrant to have access to it.

Oh those lazy cops did everything in their power to stop a psych from slaughtering innocent people..silly them...get real

My ....using readily available info in an effort to solve a crime is just being silly and lazy. Maybe you should write a book and inform all agencies across the country how police work is done

I can imagine a kidnapper or something of the likes, which had a reported plate number, being caught because of this tech. To me, THAT outweighs people picking another "constitutional" fight over a privelage. With higher numbers of drivers, a system is needed to keep up. APR's are that answer.

When concerned with privacy and the likes, read this: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-fbis-nationwide-facial-recognition-system-2012-9

All of a sudden, automatic plate readers aren't such a big deal; in the scheme of things.

So one criminal caught equals millions of peoples rights being violated? No thanks. Spare me the "if it was your kid..." speech

Specifically, what rights do you feel are being violated by the use of APR on public roads as you exercise your privilege to operate a motor vehicle on the roads?

You obviously dont get it. Read up on the previous posts. I would have zero issues if the only thing happening was people getting ticketed for things like expired registrations or stolen vehicles. It's about all the other bs going on or will be going on with this information. If you can't see or understand that on your own I'm not going to explain it to you.

Specifically, what rights do you feel are being violated by the use of APR on public roads as you exercise your privilege to operate a motor vehicle on the roads?

I suppose you are all for NYPD's stop and risk. Whats the big deal about being questioned for exercising your privilege to operate your legs on the sidewalks?

It isn't about surveillance or law enforcement. It's about revenue. The towns have a notion they can somehow make money in this deal, just like the red-light cameras. For every "real" crime the readers help with, they will rack up hundreds of fines for petty stuff. Little piggies like BlueLine have basically degenerated into a de facto collection agency for the state.

So now we are going to start with the insults. That's fine. I will take it for what it's worth when some tough guy hurls insults from the safety of the computer. If it bothers you tha much stay off the roads. You won't get fined nor will your plate get read. Oh and I don't mind collecting for the states I work for. I feel good locking up a scumbag who has thousands in warrants for not paying child support. So yes I am a collection agent at times. Try hard next time. Oh and the piggie cop reference was a good one too. Haven't heard that from degenerate scumbags my whole career. I can just lump you in with them like you want to generalize me. Gonna have to try harder again.

It isn't about surveillance or law enforcement. It's about revenue. The towns have a notion they can somehow make money in this deal, just like the red-light cameras. For every "real" crime the readers help with, they will rack up hundreds of fines for petty stuff. Little piggies like BlueLine have basically degenerated into a de facto collection agency for the state.

Seriously? And this is helpful how?

You obviously dont get it. Read up on the previous posts. I would have zero issues if the only thing happening was people getting ticketed for things like expired registrations or stolen vehicles. It's about all the other bs going on or will be going on with this information. If you can't see or understand that on your own I'm not going to explain it to you.

Oh no, I most definitely get it. Do you? Did you read how the APRs are being used in this state. NO PERSONAL INFO IS DISPLAYED OR RECORDED BY THE APR. IT IS LICENSE PLAYE CHARACTERS ONLY.

You are under more surveillance by your cell phone, Internet, TV, iPad, radio, credit card, ATM Machines, Key Fobs, On Star etc... way more often and way more accurately through these means everyday. And the data collected be these methods are being sold to the highest bidder. It is owned by private companies with no responsibility to protect it be abuse you signed on the dotted line to accept this in exchange for the use of their services. Data regarding your life and personal choices in entertainment, shopping, books, vacations etc.. All recorded and sold by private companies in the name of commerce, marketing, and advertisement.. These private company records are all obtainable by court order by the way.

This is all OK but the APR, which may actually do some good, is one step too far?