mattio41

Back Packing/Camping/Bugout - What to duplicate?

All my camping gear from a youth is long gone, and if so, outdated. My wife and I are starting to do trail hikes. And we want to prepare BOB Bags. Now, I have experience from scouting and doing some camping on my own, My wife has absolutely ZERO experience. So while we are gearing up, and buying what we need, The question I keep having for myself. Is what gear should we both have in our different bags. What should be duplicated. In a GET THE HELL out of Dodge scenario, if we were to get separated for any reason, It would do neither one of us any good, if they other had the equipment that was needed? And in a hiking situation, one of us gets lost? Who knows, Shit happens?

As an Example. We both should have Survival knives. We both should have a way of making a fire. Both should have some form of Emergency Blanket and signaling device in our bags. But what about Medical Supplies? Cooking Materials? etc...

Any thoughts as to what items, you would both need a duplicate of in each bag??

To reiterate the blindingly obvious - backpacking, camping and survival are completely different activities, and as such ideally require different gear. You're not going to enjoy backpacking with 60 lbs of survival/old school camping gear on your back - you want to go reasonably light while retaining the essentials.

-

My wife & I have GHB's we carry everyday that, when put together with some packs at home, we have an INCH system.

Some duplicates in me & mines GHB's:

TP, multi tools, Gorilla Tape, 550 cord, poncho's, Rite in Rain pads, "space" pen, sharpie, eat-n-tools, flashlights, Cliff bars (or other long lasting snacks) etc...

As far as a FAK, we started with off-the-shelf Adventure kits, and added what we needed (stuff to make you poop, stuff to stop making you poop, feminine hygiene products, prescription meds, etc...)

I just ordered a Biolite stove to keep in our main packs at home with a small mess set, but we have MRE's for on-the-go meals.

To reiterate the blindingly obvious - backpacking, camping and survival are completely different activities, and as such ideally require different gear. You're not going to enjoy backpacking with 60 lbs of survival/old school camping gear on your back - you want to go reasonably light while retaining the essentials.

-

yes, While Blindly obvious.. Do you get one for each person? Or designate one person to carry??

liteMax.jpg

My question is. What items would you duplicate for each person? In the sense of what should each INDIVIDUAL person have in their Packs...

My question is. What items would you duplicate for each person? In the sense of what should each INDIVIDUAL person have in their Packs...

This depends entirely on your goal and the location of your adventures. I was only pointing out that gear creep will surely impact your ability to enjoy the outdoors. A honest, realistic assessment of what you want out of being on the trail will go a long way. Don't be that guy that carries an 8 person tent and the kitchen sink.

When backpacking in the wilderness in a group of 4, we will normally have 2 stoves, 2 water filters, everyone carries headlamps and backup batteries, minimalistic medkits and the standard essentials. Day hiking on the east coast is a different affair, and we often take little else aside from the bare minimum (water, map, some bandaid).

-

yes, While Blindly obvious.. Do you get one for each person? Or designate one person to carry??

liteMax.jpg

A stove is nice for camping or backpacking but something I wouldn't consider in a bug out situation. Unless you are carrying fuel (more weight) the stove will soon become useless. You're better off carrying a butane lighter, matches, a flint, and a magnesium fire stater. Far less weight and size and a redundancy that's important. The flint and magnesium firestarter burn at a few thousand degrees and make starting damp tinder easier. You can boil a lot of drinking water with that firestarting kit.

For a bugout you might consider what the SAS refer to as a belt kit. A small bag containing essentials that can stay with you if you have to ditch your ruck. Firestarting material, space blanket, and other barebones supplies. A couple of cans of sweetened condensed milk can provide emergency rations. A small can provides about 1200 calories and that's what youlln need to survive.

First is for you to determine how much you want to/can carry. Then look at what you each need to be safe and comfortable.

For me the first level is small fanny pack with a gps,led flash lite, batteries, golf pencil, paper, small first aid kit, and a small bottle of Tylenol and Alieve. And there is still room for a few more things if I need.

Next is a small bag that I can carry over my shoulder(s). In that will be some dry foods that I like, extra water ( I still need to get a good travel filter.), maybe a light jacket, rain poncho, addition item for fire starting, and some cordage of some sort.

The 2 items i started with are what I carry any time I go hiking with my 2 girls. If I was going to do a long term hike then I would break out my large frame pack and load it more food, a tarp, more rope, a blanket, and hammock.

Now back to the question you asked I say duplicate every item that you can afford to but build your system so that as you stack them together nothing is duplicated on one person more then necessary.

Here is a good site I found with loads of info www.alpharubicon.com