BluesTele

Problem with Dick's

Today (Sunday) went to Dick's Sporting Goods in East Brunswick.

I've been there before usually weekday mornings to purchase ammo and never had any problem.

Always dealt with an older guy who I think is the department manager.

Today I go there and want to look at a Marlin rifle. The salesman a young kid, asks me for my ID card and Driver's license.

I show it to him and he goes to unchain the rifle. He turns around with it and I reach for it and he pulls it away

and says my ID and license have to be left on the counter. I said no that's personal info and alot of shoppers are around the counter.

He said you don't leave it on the counter you don't see the Marlin.

I walked away and went to complain to the store manager.

The store manager said the same thing I don't leave it on the counter then I don't see a firearm.

I asked her for the Regional Manager's name and number and she said.... no.

I said you're refusing to give me the Regional Manager's name and number,

She replied.... that's right.

I'm still having a hard time believeing this...

Look up their corporate executive staff online and send and email to the CEO, Legal Counsel, Operations, District Manager, Public Relations, VP, everybody except procurement and accounting. All in the "To:" line.

I've done it. I've always been successful.

Dicks is not only in jersey. Dicks is not based in jersey. Don't think like since you are in jersey you have to take it. Here in America, we don't take it. And there is no reason you should, either.

That is actually the policy at a lot of places you shouldn't get your panties in a bunch

In my personal experience and in admittedly new to firearms but the 3 places I've been so far have all required it

:facepalm: :facepalm:

I've only been to three gunshops rtsp heritage guild and effingers all required this. I would say they are all reputable shops but seriously was it that big a deal that your going to make an angry call or right a letter? Man I wonder what happens if a waiter messes up your order....

The only place that I've been in that practiced that procedure was Rayco. I don't believe they asked for my license though. Just my FID and left it on the counter where other stores just looked and gave it right back. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me but to each their own. But the store manager does seem rather ignorant in not providing the info you requested. The best thing about this situation and country is you can just simply go elsewhere.

It's their store, their policy. You complained to the manager, he confirmed this. If they want you to wear pink gloves when handling the gun, they can do that. That's what the manager does, sets & enforces policies. If you don't like their policies, shop elsewhere. They are a big chain that hires inexperienced people, so they have CYA policies that go beyond what's required by law. If you want a more personalized experience with someone more qualified then you probably shouldn't shop at big chain stores.

if that is their policy and it bothers you that much then move on. its a shrug to me...if they have the gun i want then i leave my id on the counter.

i like the t-shirts the employees wear at Ramsey Outdoors by me...the back reads"We are not Dick's"

Same thing happened to me at the same store, on a Marlin during the $25 rebate deal last year. Mildly annoying, but I just set them on the counter and turned my license upside down and set it on top of the ID card, and purchased the rifle then got my rebate. Marlin 795, $100, brand new.

If it's such a big deal, find a shop that, when you walk in and say, "I'd like to look at..." they have five models on the counter before you can finish your sentence. That's why Caso's is my go-to place.

I've only been to three gunshops rtsp heritage guild and effingers all required this. I would say they are all reputable shops but seriously was it that big a deal that your going to make an angry call or right a letter? Man I wonder what happens if a waiter messes up your order....

I hate to disagree but I've been to RTSP and Heritage, both Rahway and Branchburg, many times. Once I've presented my FID they were satisfied, I returned my FID to my wallet and they have let me check out anything I've asked to see.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, and I NEVER shop at Dick's because they are.....well......Dick's.

Is the OP upset cus they requested it stay there on the counter or the fact that they wouldn't give him the name of the regional manager?

Both Heritage Guild in branchburg and Bullzeye required I leave my ID on the glass while I was handling the firearms.

these days you CAN'T be too careful. i would have done the same thing and been outraged if the GM didn't give me their superiors contact info.

i WORK in the service industry - i am a mechanic at a large volume honda dealer in DE and if the customer isn't happy i hear about it. then on top of that they give the customer a free oil change and coupons and who knows what else. i strive to make sure the customer IS happy because its my job and its what my boss wants. when you do that day in and day out you better damn well believe i expect that kind of service when its ME thats the customer.

another note, i used to go to the same gas station every week for 2 reasons. they were the cheapest in town, they actually ran your card inside and had you sign (meaning the money comes out right away instead of that $1.00 crap for almost a week in some cases). they had their pumps updated recently and now they can run the card at the pump, resulting in the $1.00 charge for 5 days before the money actually comes out. didn't like that but they were still cheap. then the attendant left my card sticking out of the pump instead of giving it back to me right away. after 2 or 3 weeks i said something about it and he gave me an attitude. i don't go to that gas station anymore.

my two cents but with the economy the way it is and the price of everything going up bad customer service is a great way to go out of business.

It's their store, their policy.

That's basically the jist of it.

Considering the dwindling number of places you can buy guns and ammo in NJ I've resigned myself to build up a callous if I'm going to look at guns, or ammo, at Dicks. Forget the FID and DL for a second, how annoying are the trigger locks they require? Or the walk of shame?

I remember just this summer getting all bent out of shape that Dicks required my FID number, date of birth and to respond y or n to a question on the point of sale asking "Are you a US citizen??" This was for shotgun shells mind you.

They are entited to make corporate policy and we are entitled to support it, or not.

This thread is funny. Not too long back somebody posted a thread about a bad experience at a local gun shop, and had all kinds of support, and people mentioning how unprofessional it was, etc. But because this is about a larger chain store it is okay, and you should just go elsewhere?

Unless I am misunderstanding, it seems like the OP was upset at how the situation was handled, and NOT the policy. Asking for the individuals manager, and them refusing, is unprofessional, and terrible service. You usually don't make it long in a retail business when you do things that specifically hinder people from buying things and additionally giving them a proverbial eph you...

It's not a policy. Ask the Dm. I had a simular issue with ammo in the past. Kid at brick didn't want to walk me up front so he said I'll hold onto ur info and come back with a receipt to get ur stuff back. Left the ammo on the counter. Called the corporate number got a call back from the Dm asking me what exactly happened. Was told by the Dm that they only need to verify and that once verified and written in the book it was to be returned to me immediately. I have the dms number somewhere if I can find it I will pm it to u