BluesTele

Problem with Dick's

I do believe that firearms enthusiast in this state are so attuned to anything that can even remotely be considered a violation of our rights or having been singled out because of our sport that we indeed become "Hyper sensitive lunatics". I for one don't consider it to be a totally bad thing. From what I understand gun enthusiast in NJ were complacent in the past and are now attempting to regain what other states take for granted. We don't want anything to slip past us again and at times little seemingly understandable policy's will get nit picked to death in an attempt to see if we're once again being discriminated against.

Extreme,oversensitive,trivial...even a little crazy? Yes...at times but I do understand why. Butthurt? I think not always.... It's just that we don't want to be butt f#@ked any more.

Agreed, I think we are all just tired of being treated like second class citizens for wanting to exercise rights that are honored almost everywhere else in America but here. Any additional burden or requirement that even slightly increases the already substantial infringements required in this state to exercise those rights is met with severe trepidation and contempt for the requirement, policy and enforcing entity.

I don't think they are loss prevention devices, not at least to prevent theft. First off, you've already given your name and address by way of the FID and DL. No, nobody is steeling ammo.

They are locked boxes to prevent you from touching the ammo inside the store. The first time I bought ammo at Dicks, the clerk was having a hard time unlocking the box, and I commented to her that "those are the stupidist htings I've seen." Her reply was "It's for your safety." Right. She was confused when I told her the only way that box of ammo was going to hurt myself, or anyone else in the store, was if I dropped it on their foot. Then she chuckled.

I will allow that it is, to an extent, a loss prevention device, but not for theft as you alluded, but rather liability (lawsuit).

It would be substantially ignorant to think a locked plexiglass box is keeping anyone safe. There are hundreds of items sitting on the shelves out in the open that are far more dangerous then a box of ammo including cans of propane, knives, bows and arrows and even hatchets and machetes. Hell all one would need to do is take the big stupid box over to the hatchet display and smack that sum-bich open to get the ammo if they had ill intentions. I fail to believe from a common sense perspective that those boxes have any practical safety function.

It would be substantially ignorant to think a locked plexiglass box is keeping anyone safe. There are hundreds of items sitting on the shelves out in the open that are far more dangerous then a box of ammo including cans of propane, knives, bows and arrows and even hatchets and machetes. Hell all one would need to do is take the big stupid box over to the hatchet display and smack that sum-bich open to get the ammo if they had ill intentions. I fail to believe from a common sense perspective that those boxes have any practical safety function.

We agree.

You forgot to include baseball bats and hockey sticks.

It's a stupid policy that accomplishes nothing but "It's for your safety," or so I was told by the dicks employee's.

I think the box is a dumb idea. It doesn't serve any purpose, really. I'm also not fussed about displaying my FID at the counter. Though, it is odd and annoying that I have to show it AGAIN at the register. The big thing I was pissed about with Dick's was buying a box of ammo (Critical Defense), not being allowed to open it, and then getting home to find a round missing. When I called the manager, his nonchalant reaction was annoying.

Also, one time I went to the register, and the clerk unboxed my ammo (2 boxes of 9mm, 2 boxes of 38 special and a box of 357), then announced aloud to the line, "Well nobody better mess around on Main Street (Insert the name of MY street read off my FID)"

I was thinking, just because the store is called Dick's doesn't mean you have to BE a dick. Very irresponsible, in my opinion, to advertise my street to a retail line of customers. Also, making the implication that I'm dangerous really pissed me off.

Also, one time I went to the register, and the clerk unboxed my ammo (2 boxes of 9mm, 2 boxes of 38 special and a box of 357), then announced aloud to the line, "Well nobody better mess around on Main Street (Insert the name of MY street read off my FID)"

I was thinking, just because the store is called Dick's doesn't mean you have to BE a dick. Very irresponsible, in my opinion, to advertise my street to a retail line of customers. Also, making the implication that I'm dangerous really pissed me off.

The clerk should have been fired for that. # 1 Being rude to a customer. # 2 Embarrassing the customer. #3 Giving out private information to the public. #4 Making negative prejudice assertions about a customer, just about amounts to slander.

I would have demanded to see the manager, contacted company headquarters and threaten to sue the bastards on the privacy issue alone. Where was the store and how long ago was it? You still might be able to lodge a complaint.

Woodbridge. Sometime this summer. I didn't make a federal case out of it. I just rolled my eyes and left. I don't particularly like to shop there, but they're open on sundays and they are open late. If I get a chance to go to the range and don't have ammo on hand, it works in a pinch since both Bullseye and Heritage Rahway close at 6....Plus, Dick's ammo is cheaper by a bit. I'd prefer to buy online, of course. But, it's been there as a last resort. I havent been back there since.

The clerk should have been fired for that. # 1 Being rude to a customer. # 2 Embarrassing the customer. #3 Giving out private information to the public. I would have demanded to see the manager, contacted company headquarters and threaten to sue the bastards on the privacy issue alone. Where was the store and how long ago was it? You still might be able to lodge a complaint.

With all due respect Midwest.....None of the above would have made a least bit of difference. This is the Tristate area and what passes for a serious slight in middle America is but a shrug here. Managers,DMs and above have different procedures and complaint resolutions for our demographic.

With all due respect Midwest.....None of the above would have made a least bit of difference. This is the Tristate area and what passes for a serious slight in middle America is but a shrug here. Managers,DMs and above have different procedures and complaint resolutions for our demographic.

The laws/Dicks policy of asking for the FID and having it boxed up is one thing and it is what it is.

But to imply that a law abiding customer is a dangerous person purely for buying a legal product and then go on to reveal the street the customer lives on is not just rude. The clerk crossed a line of just being rude and upper management in the company chain should be made aware of what goes on in its stores and why they lost a customer for good over practices that they allow to go on in some of their stores.

That $75 to $100 every few months that the customer would have spent in that store in this economy is gone and will now be spent elsewhere. Couple that by a several other customers who might not shop there either because of that same clerk, now we are talking a good chunk of change over the next couple of years that Dick's will not be getting. It all adds up, when an employee becomes a liability to the company like in this case. They need to be replaced.

The laws/Dicks policy of asking for the FID and having it boxed up is one thing and it is what it is.

But to imply that a law abiding customer is a dangerous person purely for buying a legal product and then go on to reveal the street the customer lives on is not just rude. The clerk crossed a line of just being rude and upper management in the company chain should be made aware of what goes on in its stores and why they lost a customer for good over practices that they allow to go on in some of their stores.

No arguments there. It was wrong and a violation of the customer's privacy but Woodentoe can back me up here,In this part of the country to do as you suggest would have resulted in at best a form apology letter and a $10.00 coupon.... which in my estimation is hardly worth the time,effort or rise in blood pressure.

It's not right it just is.........

If I'm reading correct the issue isn't so much showing the License and FID but the fact that they want you to leave it on

the counter which I guess could get construed as a privacy issue. But couldn't you just turn the License and FID upside

down? Or maybe cover it with a piece of paper? Problem solved right?

I usually won't take a matter/complaint that far unless it was a matter of significant money. These type of things I just take

my business elsewhere.

I know three of the guys that work in the Lodge in the EB Dicks store, none of them are dicks. I also know one of the female managers there, she is also cool. Just like eating at a bad restruant, if you don't like it don't go back.

I know three of the guys that work in the Lodge in the EB Dicks store, none of them are dicks. I also know one of the female managers there, she is also cool. Just like eating at a bad restruant, if you don't like it don't go back.

I never have any issue with Dave in Lodge and the young Female manager even adjusts the prices of my ammo purchases in order for me to take advantage of my coupons. I guess we're lucky to live so close to the EB branch.

Dicks and Ramsey Outdoor in Paramus are a bunch of unhelpful don't care guys. I can't believe they sell guns and ammo with such little product expertise. I'm praying for Amazon to get in the game if FBI NICS continue its upward trend. Once AMZN is involved these clowns can focus on what they do best - fill out paperwork on a gun purchased elsewhere.

I don't think they are loss prevention devices, not at least to prevent theft. First off, you've already given your name and address by way of the FID and DL. No, nobody is steeling ammo.

They are locked boxes to prevent you from touching the ammo inside the store. The first time I bought ammo at Dicks, the clerk was having a hard time unlocking the box, and I commented to her that "those are the stupidist htings I've seen." Her reply was "It's for your safety." Right. She was confused when I told her the only way that box of ammo was going to hurt myself, or anyone else in the store, was if I dropped it on their foot. Then she chuckled.

I will allow that it is, to an extent, a loss prevention device, but not for theft as you alluded, but rather liability (lawsuit).

if you need a good laugh ask for a box or 2 of 3.5'' shotgun shells lets see them try to stuff them in that plastic box.

It sounds like a stupid rule, but any store can set their own policy. Dick's may have a bunch of amateurs working there and their customer service needs work, but their prices are very competitive. Go look for what you want elsewhere, and then price it at Dick's. If the locals stores can't compete with their prices, then buy at Dick's. There sure are a lot of other things to get worked up about in this gun hating state, so why take it out on a retailer like Dick's? It is the environment that we live in here that makes them come up with those rules that they impose to protect themselves from the NJ laws. They are all gun paranoid...

I never have any issue with Dave in Lodge and the young Female manager even adjusts the prices of my ammo purchases in order for me to take advantage of my coupons. I guess we're lucky to live so close to the EB branch.

I am very good friends with one of the guys that work back there, and have never had an issue with anybody that works there. Most of the cashiers let me use coupons i dont even have. haha

Just bought a .22lr rifle from Dicks in Freehold.. actually went well. Sales guy (i think bob) was very friendly and helpful. I did stop over at the one in woodbridge and waited 20 minutes for someone to come help and then the idiot ignored me as he walked to the backroom.. so f*&% that dicks.. but Bob at Freehold was cool.