Sign in to follow this  
usnmars

Where to buy 90 cal lead balls

Well YES I did say 90 cal it isn't a goof up. A friend just bought a hell of a cannon that is supposed to be a rifle. It is an antique muzzle loader and the bore measures out to .899 and is rifled. We were joking about shooting it and honestly, I want to shoot it. I figured i would surprise him and get some balls so we could actually go out and have fun. Is there any place that sells off the wall caliber balls? This thing has to weigh almost 50lbs so it must be like a cannon, I just want to experience it.

You need to get undersized balls and use a Patch wet with spit or bullet lube. I'd call Dixon Muzzleloading in Kempton, PA to ask if they sell them that big. For a .899, you'd want to get a ball at least .010 less than bore diameter, and then to use said patch of at least .010 thickness, or greater, so it wouldn't burn-through during firing. You could even go .020 under size on the ball and make up the difference with thicker, burn-resistant wet patching.

Then I'd make damn sure that the gun is actually fire-able, and not just a fluff piece. You don't want to blow it apart by accident.

Hope that this helps!

Dave

Yeah, the guy that has it is a well known gunsmith and he gave it a good looking over. I just wanted to surprise him with the balls. I will see if I can get a pic of the "beast" tomorrow. Thanks for your help, I will admit I know absolutely jack about BP rifles.

Yeah, the guy that has it is a well known gunsmith and he gave it a good looking over. I just wanted to surprise him with the balls. I will see if I can get a pic of the "beast" tomorrow. Thanks for your help, I will admit I know absolutely jack about BP rifles.

Sounds really neat. Remember to have him use only single-F or Cannon Powder. Keep the pressure down by NOT using something like 3Fg Pistol Powder! A friend of mine owns a 5-pounder in smoothbore, complete with carriage, so let me know if you need some cannon powder!

Take care and have fun!

Dave