Hey all I was just wondering I know people plastidip their grips and stocks but would it be okay to do say an entire ar15? In looking to do a custom tiger stripe and the ease of use and increased texture is appealing to me. Thanks in advance!

Patrick

I use Brownells Alumahyde quite a bit and love the stuff. It is very durable and easy to use and it is made for guns. The only drawback is the VERY long cure time. Here is a tiger striped Mosin that I did a while back. First you paint the entire gun black. Once it cured I shredded some masking tape and layed down my stripes and painted green. Remove the masking tape and do a couple of highlights with a lighter color for some depth and contrast. Its an easy project and the results are great.

DSC00304.jpg

great job usnmars, did you cut the barrel down or is it replaced?

What stock is that?

That was my custom "Monster Mosin" that I built. I made the stock and the barrel was a unissued machine gun barrel that I slapped on. The barrel is friggin stout..

DSC00272.jpg

lowslowmiata, I would Start with a solid base coat personally.

That was my custom "Monster Mosin" that I built. I made the stock and the barrel was a unissued machine gun barrel that I slapped on. The barrel is friggin stout..

DSC00272.jpg

lowslowmiata, I would Start with a solid base coat personally.

love it... may have to do a project myself over the winter...

Hey all I was just wondering I know people plastidip their grips and stocks but would it be okay to do say an entire ar15? In looking to do a custom tiger stripe and the ease of use and increased texture is appealing to me. Thanks in advance!

Patrick

I'm sure it could work, the nice thing about plasti dip is that it is reversible. The only caution I would mention is that the upper end for temp is 200 degrees and that may not bode well for use on the barrel.

BTW usnmars, that is one beautiful job you did on that rifle! :good:

I use Brownells Alumahyde quite a bit and love the stuff. It is very durable and easy to use and it is made for guns. The only drawback is the VERY long cure time. Here is a tiger striped Mosin that I did a while back. First you paint the entire gun black. Once it cured I shredded some masking tape and layed down my stripes and painted green. Remove the masking tape and do a couple of highlights with a lighter color for some depth and contrast. Its an easy project and the results are great.

DSC00304.jpg

I must say that rifle looks outstanding...