Sign in to follow this  
TheDon

Legal Muzzle Devices

What makes a muzzle device an evil "flash suppressor"?

Can I simply trust the manufacturer's description or are there specific criteria?

i.e., I am looking to get rid of the AK74-style break that comes on the Saiga SG21 series. I was thinking about something with a little more cool factor like this. But am worried that it might be a little to cool for NJ.

TINAK0689-2.jpg

Advertize as a break.

So, as long as I file away the advertisement and packaging just in case, I should be OK. Right?

Thanks

I would also shoot it at night to show that there is a flash. Record it and save it.

I had a rifle shipped to me with this brake installed. inspected it pretty closely, because I was unsure of its legality. Mostly you'll see it advertised as the razor "brake"

Although, you'll also see this advertised as a brake with an integral flash hider...

I didn't want to be the test case on this one

Conventional wisdom regarding brake/comp vs hider seems to be that a hider will have an open end, and a brake/comp will be approximately the same width as the bore.

This device certainly did not seem be significantly larger from the bore to the end if the device, which would indicate its a brake/comp, but I couldn't be sure, plus the aesthetic wasn't for me, in the end I swapped it out.

This was just an example. I need to see it on an AK before I buy. I am also a little reluctant to deal with all the "is THAT legal?!?!" banter at the range.

I am still looking. Nonetheless, I appreciate the answers. I is good to know that it is manufacturer's marketing that counts.

Thanks

This was just an example. I need to see it on an AK before I buy. I am also a little reluctant to deal with all the "is THAT legal?!?!" banter at the range.

I am still looking. Nonetheless, I appreciate the answers. I is good to know that it is manufacturer's marketing that counts.

Thanks

If that were indeed the standard I would be sooooo tempted!

http://dpmsinc.3dcartstores.com/A2-Compensator_p_600.html

Well I'll give you my take. It's not a flash hider, nor is it a brake. It's a stupidly designed pokey bit for the front of your gun.

It appears to have a high pressure chamber with four vents, and then the four tines. Regarding flash, what should happen is you get a jet of flame out of each nozzle which line up with the tines, and then flash from the gap in each tine. this basically means that you get an eyeful of flash with each bang, so it doesn't help preserve the night vision of the shooter. It also doesn't do much to prevent detection because the vents at 2, 4, 8, and 10 o'clock are going to create nice rooster tails of flash in profile and head on. That's why it's not a flash supressor IMO. Unless the ammo is low enoguh pressure that the high pressure chamber doesn't work. In which case it may actually suppress flash a bit.

Then you have the muzzle brake part. It has the four vents. They do not appear to be vectored rearward, so they won't check rearward recoil. The vents are also symmetric top to bottom and left to right, which basically means that in the face of even and symmetrical forces (i.e. a rifle magically floating in mid air), they might anchor the muzzle a bit, they won't do so once you put an actual skeleton behind it. So at best, you get a little bit of a recoil check by the gasses hitting the baffle at the front of the high pressure chamber, but likely not as much as if the baffle had large open ports to vent it. Add to that that 7.62 isn't that high pressure and it may not even do that.

+1 what raz said.

My first thought would be to tell you to find something else. While this may be NJ legal, it provides no benefit, except making your Saiga a bit more stabby.

There are plenty of decent brakes/comps out there that will provide functionality AND will be much less murky, legally.

I would assume flash reduction = flash hider?

https://danieldefens...zle-device.html

Thing is, a TRUE "Flash Hider" served one purpose..to allow the shooter to use his firearm at night without Blinding HIMSELF..... the Grabbers took the adjective "Hider" to mean "Hiding the flash from others to shoot from stealth" Not the first time people whore legislation without knowing WTF they were speaking of, and it wont be the last.

I would assume flash reduction = flash hider?

https://danieldefens...zle-device.html

For that one... yes. IN general, the BATFE permitted some flash reduction and had some mystery threshold for it being a flash suppressor. During the federal AWB, the smith comp reduced flash significantly over an open muzzle, the PWS 556FC or whaterver a bit less so. However, they both passed the BATFE test as both were sold on post ban configurations.

Thing is, a TRUE "Flash Hider" served one purpose..to allow the shooter to use his firearm at night without Blinding HIMSELF..... the Grabbers took the adjective "Hider" to mean "Hiding the flash from others to shoot from stealth" Not the first time people whore legislation without knowing WTF they were speaking of, and it wont be the last.

Intellectual honesty is somewhat of an elusive quality when it gets in the way of a liberal agenda. Don't forget the whole barrel shroud shoulder thing that goes up comment, they are morons. You can't have a barrel shroud on a pistol because it protects the shooter from getting burned? Really? You cannot have a pistol grip on a rifle because somehow having a more ergonomic design makes the weapon less accurate to fire? Really? They are all dumb-asses, pure and simple.