Sign in to follow this  
SgtToadette

Pinned vs. Pinned+Welded Muzzle Devices

I'm pretty sure I missed the memo on this one. I see a bunch of mentions that people have their muzzle devices both pinned and welded to their barrels for the purpose of making their semi-auto rifles compliant.

Is simply having the muzzle device pinned not enough? I find that strange since we don't need to have our stocks welded and pinning seems to be the acceptable means by which 14 inch barrels with 2 inch muzzle devices are not considered SBRs in free states.

For context, the reason I ask is because I've finalized my decision for what AR upper to slap on my lower. The upper will have a 14 inch barrel with a pinned compensator when it arrives on my doorstep. Would I need to have additional work done so I'm not lugging around an Assault Weapons as per NJ State law? Is there some statute that defines what permanently affixed means or is welding just done as overkill to remove all doubt?

Some people just blind pin, because NJ statutes don't define what is permanent, and the reality is that it takes basically the same tools and effort to undo it as pinning and welding. Some people pin and weld because the BATFE has declared that to be a permanent attachment method, and should one need to argue it in court, it can be argued. Which argument would you like to have if it comes down to it? Myself, I don't like the fact that the BATFE sasy a blind pin alone is not considered permanent for extending a short barrel to 16". SO I see it as I can argue a blind pin, and they can argue back that it would unambiguously be illegal on a 14.5" barrel by BATFE standards. Or I can argue I followed BATFE guidelines for permanently extending a short barrel, and they can argue that it's not sufficient and then try to argue non-existent guidelines to a jury.

Pin plus a spot weld and a clean up is harder to screw up with regards to preventing removal IMO. I suspect that is the reasoning for the BATFE considering a blind pin only less than permanent for extending a short barrel.

If the vendor is willing to ship it to you, with no tax stamp needed, it tells me the vendor has faith that the modification is "permanent" and will pass scrutiny with the BATFE. Their literature may just say pinned, but chances are it is pinned & welded - and that may not mean welded to the barrel, it can mean the the hole for the pin is welded over. Not just free states, NJ also - anything less than a 16" barrel is NFA SBR country - by permanently affixing the muzzle brake the barrel length now includes it and brings it to a non-NFA legal 16" or greater.

Just make sure it is a brake and not a FH - discussed in another thread here, but commonly held definition is that if it is open muzzle, it is a flash hider. If the exit hloe is close to bore diameter, it is a brake.

So, what upper have you decided upon?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks for the clarification guys.

I decided to go with the PWS MK114 upper for the reason's outlined by DMack over on Sniper's Hide. He really ran it hard and put well over 10k rounds through it over the course of one year. Hopefully I can grab one without much trouble. PWS recently stopped taking orders because they were overwhelmed and wanted to catch up. If all goes as planned, I'll either be able to grab one from a vendor or place an order with PWS when I get the money to actually buy it (within the next 6 months).

PWS does provide documentation from the BATF&E (.pdf warning) where the muzzle device is declared not a flash suppressor. How very nice of them!

Worst case scenario, PWS does offer a 16" barrel upper and i could always go with that.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By Rick_F
      Hi there,
      I was wondering what muzzle brakes/comps everyone is using.  I have a Battle Comp on one of my rifles and a KVP on an "other."  I'm looking for an option to pin on a 14.5" barrel to exceed 16'.  I was hoping for something milder than the Battle Comp, which exhibits too much concussion for my tastes.  A few people recommended the VG6 Gamma, but I would need the EX for length, and it looks to be discontinued.  The Epsilon has the length but VG6 said it's not NJ legal.  The Bravo Comp looks good, but on some old threads here it wasn't clear if it was GTG from a legal standpoint.  Please let me know what you would recommended for shooting in an indoor range.  Thanks.  
    • By Porthole
      As pictured, slip on muzzle device. Flash suppressor? Muzzle brake? The vents do not go 360, no vent on the bottom.
      Not sure how to qualify it but with the full size opening I'd venture flash suppressor. 
      Slip on and then pinned with a roll pin and an allen screw on the bottom.
      I had an older model stainless mini (180 series I think), used it on that, don't know about fitment on current models.
      $50 shipped priority mail CONUS.
      Location Delaware
      The first to post "I'll take it" establishes the buyer, PM after that.

• By roxxer69
      First post on the forum, be gentle...
      Building my first NJ compliant AR15. I am aware that muzzle breaks / comps & the word "quiet" do not go together, however I would like to find a muzzle break / comp that does not annoy the shit out of me or the person next to me in terms of noise and muzzle blast. (Yes, I know it's a gun range and things go boom man up etc...) But I am a sucker for being considerate.
      Scouring the internet, I have been led to the Battle Comp (Expensive), Troy Claymore, Carlson Comp Mini (Illegal?) as my choices for reasonable breaks. Would any of you kind, fellow oppressed New Jerseyans enlighten me on what muzzle break you use that isn't totally obnoxious? Thanks!
    • By Sig
      Hello everyone, brand new to the board so let me know if I'm in the right subforum or if I can have this better answered elsewhere. pagunforums.com anyone? lol
      Can anyone recommend an FFL in Pennsylvania that will pin weld breaks, pin stocks, and also accept transfers. I live in North Jersey so anything in North PA with low FFL and gunsmithing fees are preferable. I am running into problems with a shop refusing to send complete AR 15s to NJ FFLs. Any help is appreciated.
    • Boom! Today all Newton is in the high $3.60s. All hail Bidenomics! And all that Alaska land he just took off the list of oil prospects.
    • I have a like new (only zeroed) PSA Sabre KAC M110 Clone in 7.62x51mm. This is PSA's clone version of the infamous Knights Armament M110. Very high quality, excellent 2 stage trigger, 20" chrome lined barrel, adjustable gas block, and is NJ legal with a pinned Surefire SOCOM muzzle brake.  Radian Raptor charging handle and Radian ambi safety. Upper and lower are billet receivers compatible with all KAC SR-25 and LMT MWS/MARS-H pattern receivers.  Im no where close to being a long range shooter but ive been able to get 0.7 MOA out of it with 175gr federal gold medal match ammo and Im sure the rifle is capable of much better accuracy. Asking $1650 (which is a steal for what you get) at any FFL thats a reasonable distance from Jersey City. I can also ship but that would be on your dime.  Optic/bipod etc not included but can be purchased if interested. Vortex Razor Gen-II HD 3-18x50 FFP with the new EBR-7C MRAD illuminated reticle in a 1.54 reptilia mount. Id include the optic for another $1700. Happy to answer any questions or provide more pictures. Not interested in any trades. Thank you.
    • Selling 1 sealed spam can Romanian 7.62x54r ammo containing 440 rounds. 1982 manufacture.  Steel core light ball, copper washed steel case.  Not reloadable.  Corrosive primer. The rust you see on the top is light surface rust. Can is intact.  Comes with opener. $285.00 cash.  I live in NW Burlington County, and work in Trenton.  I can meet you at a reasonable distance to make sale.   The first to reply “I’ll take it” wins the sale. 
    • Still want to put your dog in kennel? https://newjersey.news12.com/police-crews-rescue-46-dogs-from-fire-inside-pio-costa-industrial-complex-in-fairfield