Sign in to follow this  
SgtToadette

Pinned vs. Pinned+Welded Muzzle Devices

I'm pretty sure I missed the memo on this one. I see a bunch of mentions that people have their muzzle devices both pinned and welded to their barrels for the purpose of making their semi-auto rifles compliant.

Is simply having the muzzle device pinned not enough? I find that strange since we don't need to have our stocks welded and pinning seems to be the acceptable means by which 14 inch barrels with 2 inch muzzle devices are not considered SBRs in free states.

For context, the reason I ask is because I've finalized my decision for what AR upper to slap on my lower. The upper will have a 14 inch barrel with a pinned compensator when it arrives on my doorstep. Would I need to have additional work done so I'm not lugging around an Assault Weapons as per NJ State law? Is there some statute that defines what permanently affixed means or is welding just done as overkill to remove all doubt?

Some people just blind pin, because NJ statutes don't define what is permanent, and the reality is that it takes basically the same tools and effort to undo it as pinning and welding. Some people pin and weld because the BATFE has declared that to be a permanent attachment method, and should one need to argue it in court, it can be argued. Which argument would you like to have if it comes down to it? Myself, I don't like the fact that the BATFE sasy a blind pin alone is not considered permanent for extending a short barrel to 16". SO I see it as I can argue a blind pin, and they can argue back that it would unambiguously be illegal on a 14.5" barrel by BATFE standards. Or I can argue I followed BATFE guidelines for permanently extending a short barrel, and they can argue that it's not sufficient and then try to argue non-existent guidelines to a jury.

Pin plus a spot weld and a clean up is harder to screw up with regards to preventing removal IMO. I suspect that is the reasoning for the BATFE considering a blind pin only less than permanent for extending a short barrel.

If the vendor is willing to ship it to you, with no tax stamp needed, it tells me the vendor has faith that the modification is "permanent" and will pass scrutiny with the BATFE. Their literature may just say pinned, but chances are it is pinned & welded - and that may not mean welded to the barrel, it can mean the the hole for the pin is welded over. Not just free states, NJ also - anything less than a 16" barrel is NFA SBR country - by permanently affixing the muzzle brake the barrel length now includes it and brings it to a non-NFA legal 16" or greater.

Just make sure it is a brake and not a FH - discussed in another thread here, but commonly held definition is that if it is open muzzle, it is a flash hider. If the exit hloe is close to bore diameter, it is a brake.

So, what upper have you decided upon?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks for the clarification guys.

I decided to go with the PWS MK114 upper for the reason's outlined by DMack over on Sniper's Hide. He really ran it hard and put well over 10k rounds through it over the course of one year. Hopefully I can grab one without much trouble. PWS recently stopped taking orders because they were overwhelmed and wanted to catch up. If all goes as planned, I'll either be able to grab one from a vendor or place an order with PWS when I get the money to actually buy it (within the next 6 months).

PWS does provide documentation from the BATF&E (.pdf warning) where the muzzle device is declared not a flash suppressor. How very nice of them!

Worst case scenario, PWS does offer a 16" barrel upper and i could always go with that.