ruger9

Sights/scopes for "zombies", out to 100yds, rifle

I'm totally new to the world of rifle optics, so cut me break if I seem like I don't know what I'm talking about, because I don't... yet.

Looking for opinions on best sights/scopes for quick re-acquistion/multiple targets, up to 100 yds (more realistically within 50yds)...

Iron sights?

Something like a Red Dot, Eotech (both eyes open)?

Scout scope (like Burris)

...from what I have gleaned, I don't think I'm looking for a scout scope, i like the idea of "both eyes open" for situational awareness/peripheral vision, and at the distances I'm talking, a scope would be overkill, I think.

...I'm a good shot, and have no problem at all with iron sights at 100yds. But again- thinking of quick re-acquistion/multiple targets, it seems something like a red dot or reflex or similar might be a better option? Something more... intuitive?... than than the iron sight squint?

I'd love to hear you opinions/observations. And after listing your favorite sight for this application, add this filter: does anyone make an AFFORDABLE version?!?!? I'm not real keen on putting a $1300 scope on an $800 rifle. For chrissakes, I'd just use irons and buy more ammo instead!

First, I will say that many people spend as much if not more on their optics than their rifle.

For quick acquisition, my choice is Aimpoint. I have had an Eotech, an Acog, and a few Aimpoints. For me, they are the quickest to get back on target and the battery lasts for years.

Red dots/holo sights enhance target acquisition. I have a primary arms red dot that I got new for under $100. There are many different styles and configurations so you'll have to do some research to see what's right for you.

Personally I don't like just a dot so an eotech reticle or a red dot with multi reticles is my preference.

What kind of shooting do you plan to do? Heavy use? Range toy?

Red dots/holo sights enhance target acquisition. I have a primary arms red dot that I got new for under $100. There are many different styles and configurations so you'll have to do some research to see what's right for you.

Personally I don't like just a dot so an eotech reticle or a red dot with multi reticles is my preference.

What kind of shooting do you plan to do? Heavy use? Range toy?

Not heavy use. Range toy, but I'm fine with irons at the range as well. The sight's primary function will be SHTF. However, for all I know I may come to love optic-assist shooting and use it all the time...

Saw another thread on the Lucid HD7, looks very interesting and affordable, good reviews all-around.

Oh- and it'll be forward-mounted, but that seems to be the norm for these types? (actually, I see with these types "forward mount is not necessary, due to their size & design... see- I'm learning!)

Like I said. I have the PA dot and love it. Many others have good things to say as well. I have never used the lucid bit specs look pretty good. I use my setup with a 3x magnifier. I assume you can use one with this as well. I have also been looking at the burris 4x scopes lately.

I dig the aimpoint knockoffs for range fun. If you plan on taking any type of training or fighting with your rifle, I would recommend shooting both an Eotec and Aimpoint, and picking which one you like more. A dead optic in the middle of a $200+ class would SUCK. There is no need for a magnifier inside of 100yds.

Also, the S will never HTF. That is all.

Also, the S will never HTF. That is all.

Well- that is certainly what most of us hope. I also hope my house never burns down, but am glad I have homeowner's insurance in case it does.

It seems the Lucid HD7 is very similar to Aimpoint, and I found some cheap Eotech knock-offs... perhaps I'll buy both, and decide if I like either, or if I'll just stick to irons.

Interesting...I did some digging and found out SEALS, for CQB, while given much leeway in their gear choice, seem to go Aimpoint M68 or Eotech 553.

BDC reticle... ok, just learned something else...

Am I mistaken, or does the BDC seem out of place on a non-magnifying optic? At those ranges, wouldn't a scope be preferable to a red dot or reflex/holo? A BDC on a scope seems like it would be a great thing, at longer distances.

BDC reticle... ok, just learned something else...

Am I mistaken, or does the BDC seem out of place on a non-magnifying optic? At those ranges, wouldn't a scope be preferable to a red dot or reflex/holo? A BDC on a scope seems like it would be a great thing, at longer distances.

An eotec doesn't have a true BDC reticle, but if you look at it...

EOTech-EXPS3-0-Holographic-Weapon-Sight-65-MOA-ring-and-1-MOA-dot-Reticle-EXPS3-0-Pic2.jpg

...you can use the top of the 65moa circle as a POA, in addition to the dot, and bottom of the circle. It's not a true BDC, but can be used as one.

TBH under 100 yards (and even 200 yards) a red dot is quite sufficient. Before you spend money on a Eotech, find one to look through. If you have any kind of astigmatism the odds are that the reticule will look a mess, basically not a clean circle and dot, but a cloud of messy dots in orbit of a another bunch of dots. I've also seen multiple Eotech die (mostly because of battery compartment issues) but not Aimpoints. If you don't want to spend that kind of money the PA dots are pretty nice.

I have a Vortex SPARC i got for about $175 on sale at PSA. I have only used it for one range trip on my AR so far, but it seemed pretty damn accurate out to 100 yards and it came with a x2 magnifier as well. It obv isnt the best on the market, but i have read lots of reviews on them, and its pretty decent quality for the money.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-sparc-red-dot-scope

Also comes with multiple riser hights for different mounting options.

100 yards and in - Aimpoint PRO or T-1/H-1 all the way. I have seen too many EOTurds crap out and L3 CS is non-existant anymore to recommend them. I also find the EOTech reticle busy compared to the single dot of the Aimpoints. The difference in battery life alone make the Aimpont stand out. The T-1/H-1 will run 50,000hrs (5 years)without ever turning it off on setting 8 of 12. My EOTech runs for an average of 190 hours on one set of batteries.

The hashmark at 6 O'clock on the EO Reticle is not used as a BDC per se. It is an aiming point to compensate for mechanicial offset on an AR type rifle inside of 7 yards. The 65 MOA circle and hashmarks at 9 O'clock and 3O'clock are also advertised as being useful for engaging moving targets as well, but I have found I have no problem hitting moving targets without them, and they are only useful at a particular range and specific direction of movement.

You will want to mount a Red Dot sight over the center of balance of your rifle - in the case of an AR that will be right over the magwell in the front portion of the upper receiver. This way the weight of the optic (regardless of how slight) won't affect how you drive the rifle or how the rifle handles.

I have both a scope (leatherwood cmr) and a holographic sight (burris fastfire 3). Both give you something different. The cmr is a 1-4x scope.. great out to 150-200 yards in the right hands. The fastfire is a holographic so great for point and shoot at to 100 yards.. so each does good for its intended purpose. Now for a price point burris fastfire 3 can be had for 225 shipped.. cmr for 340 with a burris pepr mount. So combined 565. About the price of a aimpoint and eotech. Take the fast fire and mount it ontop of your cmr.. best of both worlds!! You get a point and shoot optic with the fastfire and the cmr for your long range shots.

I have both a scope (leatherwood cmr) and a holographic sight (burris fastfire 3). Both give you something different. The cmr is a 1-4x scope.. great out to 150-200 yards in the right hands. The fastfire is a holographic so great for point and shoot at to 100 yards.. so each does good for its intended purpose. Now for a price point burris fastfire 3 can be had for 225 shipped.. cmr for 340 with a burris pepr mount. So combined 565. About the price of a aimpoint and eotech. Take the fast fire and mount it ontop of your cmr.. best of both worlds!! You get a point and shoot optic with the fastfire and the cmr for your long range shots.

aimpoint pro $400 + 3x magnifier $100ish

$500 setup easily good to 300.... in close quick detach magnifier... one optic you are not constantly taking on and off gun..

TBH under 100 yards (and even 200 yards) a red dot is quite sufficient. Before you spend money on a Eotech, find one to look through. If you have any kind of astigmatism the odds are that the reticule will look a mess, basically not a clean circle and dot, but a cloud of messy dots in orbit of a another bunch of dots. I've also seen multiple Eotech die (mostly because of battery compartment issues) but not Aimpoints. If you don't want to spend that kind of money the PA dots are pretty nice.

I have an EOTech and astigmatism. It's a bloody mess of dots. Go with an Aimpoint or ACOG if you have the coin for it.

U don't have to take anything off the gun. You mount the red dot to the pepr mount it has rails on top

Assuming this setup is being used on an AR platform, you just have to use an atrocious chin weld on the stock and calculate a rediculous mechanical offset for CQB when using the MRDS.

With the magnifier behind the RDS setup, you get a consistent cheek weld and a standard offset adjustment.

Assuming this setup is being used on an AR platform, you just have to use an atrocious chin weld on the stock and calculate a rediculous mechanical offset for CQB when using the MRDS.

With the magnifier behind the RDS setup, you get a consistent cheek weld and a standard offset adjustment.

correct....

AND if you want it to be REALLY fast.. you can just use a swivel mount on the magnifier..

I'm new new to optics too. I'm looking for similar setup and been oggling Redfield Revolution 2-7x32mm wide view scope. Theyre selling for $169 before $30 rebate all over web. Is 32mm a wide enough FOV that one doesn't need to close one eye? Would this work well enough on rings at traditional factory location? Forward mounted? Really more for a different use scenario?

The optic is for a Ruger PC9 that's not much good out past 125-150 yds

Again sorry for obvious noob-ness of this question

Didn't like the Eotech I demoed, was considering a red dot, but I think I'm just gonna' stick with irons. For one, they're more challenging at the range (and at the ranges this gun/caliber is designed for), and if I want a tack driver I'll buy something else and scope it.

I've always been a fan of "instinctive shooting" (point-and-shoot), which is what carbines were designed for, really. The only wrinkle is it takes alot of practice. I need to get a .22lr to put a bunch of rounds downrange affordably...

Didn't like the Eotech I demoed, was considering a red dot, but I think I'm just gonna' stick with irons. For one, they're more challenging at the range (and at the ranges this gun/caliber is designed for), and if I want a tack driver I'll buy something else and scope it.

I've always been a fan of "instinctive shooting" (point-and-shoot), which is what carbines were designed for, really. The only wrinkle is it takes alot of practice. I need to get a .22lr to put a bunch of rounds downrange affordably...

A magnified optic doesn't help you shoot any better. They only help you see better. If you are a poor shooter, the magnified optic will just let you see your misses better. If you are a decent shooter, the magnified optic may halp a little. In other words, the scope doesn't make the gun a tack driver. The shooter working with the gun does.

As far as your penchant for "instinctive shooting" is what carbines were designed for, where did you get that idea? I have never heard that and have a hard time believing that is true.

"Instinctive shooting" is black magic wrapped up in snake oil. Use your sights, you will get better hits that way.

ETA: re-reading my post, it seemed as if I was telling the OP that he was a poor shooter. Not my intention. Edited to fix any comments that could have been taken the wrong way. Apologies.

Edited by High Exposure

As far as your penchant for "instinctive shooting" is what carbines were designed for, where did you get that idea? I have never heard that and have a hard time believing that is true.

"Instinctive shooting" is black magic wrapped up in snake oil. Use your sights, you will get better hits that way.

Completely disagree. It's all repetition and muscle memory, just like playing a musical instrument. I can hit ONE string out of 6 on my guitar, not because I'm looking at it, but from repetition and muscle memory. You look at what you want to hit, you point, and you fire. Now... I'm not saying that negates sights... not at all. You obviously need sights to get you there. But after awhile, it does become second nature. No way are those competition guys actually lining their sites up for every shot every split second.

As far as carbines being designed for that, I'll admit that might be taking it a bit far, but- a light, short, points-like-a-finger carbine definitely lends itself to that kind of shooting. And in combat, again- no way did all those M1 carbine shooters line up their sights when a charging enemy was 20ft away... they pointed, they fired. Sure it was hit and miss, and sheer volume of fire, but again, point being put a few thousand rounds out that way, and muscle memory begins to develop. Instinctive shooting is most definitely not "snake oil", but to each his own.

You always aim, you just aim just enough to make the shot. Muscle memory does nothing for you unless all you do is exactly the same kind of shooting from fixed positions at fixed target presentations. A guitar or a computer keyboard are usually used in a consistent position, try playing your guitar while prone or leaning or whatever.

Aim, just enough to make the shot. Gangsters during drive by's don't aim and mostly miss. Armies may or may not put thousands of rounds over yonder but doing that in any sort of populated area is remarkably irresponsible and that point you might as well buy a smoothbore musket, why bother with modern firearms?