ruger9

Sights/scopes for "zombies", out to 100yds, rifle

When engaging a threat in CQB/CQC conditions there is deliberation and precision from 0" all the way to the maximum effective range of your weapon system. There is threat ID, sight alignment, sight picture, decision to fire or not, appropriate post engagement sequence, move, and communicate. Every step takes thought and deliberation.

Competition guys may have a different take on this, and that is fine. They can afford to use "instinctive fire", "point shooting", "FAST fire" or whatever they want to call it. They shoot for money. If they shoot a no shoot target, no big deal, they lose a few points. I can not afford to be sloppy or imprecise.

Actually we don't have a different take, we do EXACTLY the same thing as competition shooters. We identify the target, bring focus on the sight system (or not if optics, but assume irons here), verify sight picture, is it good enough, break the shot, immediately play back the tape inside the head, was the sight picture still good enough when the shot broke, if yes do the next thing you need to do if not got back to the beginning and do it over again, this time do it right.

People see competition shooters shoot really fast, with that whole loop often taking less then a 0.2 of a second and assume we don't actually aim. In reality most of our training doesn't go into shooting fast, it goes into thinking fast while shooting. We just work on making that loop work faster and faster and faster, because unless you are in some way handicapped your body can act that fast, the limitation is seeing, where seeing means the your brains ability to receive outside stimulus, process it, and make decisions based on it.

When we do it right, time really slows down. Everything seems to move in slow motion, and we think we took forever to shoot the stage. This is when we get our best scores, because time didn't slow down, our brain was working overtime. For most of us its hard, the top shooters got this down.

It's a shame that there isn't a source to rent scopes and red dots, so you can experience them first-hand before you commit to buying one.

I was actually thinking about something along these lines.

Far to many choices when it comes to optics...the idea I had was to plan a meet-up at whatever range we all prefer. And everyone brings their optics they have.

Let's talk optics on ARs. If we could get someone with an ACOG, Aimpoint, Vortex, Eotech, etc....we could put together a nice little sampling of optics. That way if someone is looking for a new sight system they could get a feel for it before dropping $$$ on the internet.

Just a thought I had....

Funny actually, is you shoot matches you sorta have that already. I have yet to meet a competitor, at any level, that wouldn't show of his gear if asked. Looking back, probably 95% of the scopes I've played with were probably at a match somewhere after a "Hey, do you mind if I take a peak through your scope?"

I have both a scope (leatherwood cmr) and a holographic sight (burris fastfire 3). Both give you something different. The cmr is a 1-4x scope.. great out to 150-200 yards in the right hands. The fastfire is a holographic so great for point and shoot at to 100 yards.. so each does good for its intended purpose. Now for a price point burris fastfire 3 can be had for 225 shipped.. cmr for 340 with a burris pepr mount. So combined 565. About the price of a aimpoint and eotech. Take the fast fire and mount it ontop of your cmr.. best of both worlds!! You get a point and shoot optic with the fastfire and the cmr for your long range shots.

Get the Bolt-on mount if you go this route, not the QD one from burris..it has a tendency to loosen up. There are a couple of mounts out there now with a small Pic rail at 45deg to mount a mini-reflex sight.