Jp10127

80% ar lowers legal in jersey?

Basically my question is as stated above. I have been looking at an 80% lower that will need the trigger group and hammer and sear pin holes machined out still. Being that this is not technically a firearm it can be bought and built without having been serialized and registered. Now I could care less about the registering part just seems like a fun way to do a build. My question is..... Is that even possible to do in New Jersey? And has anyone tried it? According to the stipulations I saw, as long as this is purchased and built for yourself and never transfered to another owner it is technically legal, but does new Jersey still follow that rule of thumb.

Buy it, sure it's a hunk of metal. Finishing it makes you a manufacturer in nj and you need to be licensed as such. So, no, it isn't legal to build unless you get set up as a manufacturer.

Illegal, based on the grounds you are manufacturing a firearm, and therefore require a state license to do so.

Honestly, if you don't have the setup to do it anyway, you're going to end up spending more money to do it, than going to an FFL and buying a stripped lower.

Honestly, if you don't have the setup to do it anyway, you're going to end up spending more money to do it, than going to an FFL and buying a stripped lower.

[Tommy Chong] But then you're on "the list" man. [/Tommy Chong]

• Like 1

I came across a video for an ar lower that still needs the trigger group and pin holes cut out. Aparently according to current statues this is a perfectly legal way to build an ar-15 but it isn't serialized or registered as a weapon. I don't care about the registering part that's not important to me but as long as the weapon is made by one person and never transfers ownership then it seems to be perfectly ok to do a build this way. I guess my question is, does anybody know if this is even true and possible in the lovely state of new Jersey? It seems like a fun way to build a firearm, it's a bit more than just slapping parts together. I don't plan on building it in a way that is illegal to Jersey rules and all, it would follow all rules as a regular stripped reciever build as afar as barrel length pinned stock, and what ever else.

I don't want to spend the money and not be able to posess this if its not legal but I'm not sure where to turn to for info so I figured I would start here. The company gives the statutes by the atf stating where you are legaly aloud to build a firearm for personal use so long as it is only for that person and not being produced for sale.

If anyone has done this or has any info pertaining to this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks I wasn't sure as far as new Jersey itself. I figured it would be an issue because of coarse it is new Jersey. But hey one can wish can't they. A few friends where thinking about splitting cost on the jig and all, but I guess I'm stuck finding a lower. Missed out on a blemish run for 60 bucks! Oh well time to move out of Jersey

I guess one question that has not been addressed is what is the legality of finishing an 80% receiver in PA and then transporting it back to NJ? I think that would be as legal as moving into NJ with one you had already built? No?

I guess one question that has not been addressed is what is the legality of finishing an 80% receiver in PA and then transporting it back to NJ? I think that would be as legal as moving into NJ with one you had already built? No?

Tehcnically it would, SHOULD be Lawful the way the statute is written, since you are acquiring the Receiver in a lawful manner..That said, if you should ever get jammed up, even for anything minor, having an AR with no Manufacturer Info, or Serial Number WILL cost you way more hassle than the $100.00 or so to just buy a finished lower in My Opinion. Now, that said, if you want to Stamp it, and Serial It when you build it, while not a Requirement under ATF rules, it would probably make things look better here at Home.

2C:39-9d.

No manufacturing of ANY weapon.

thanks. been having a discussion with a friend that says a lawyer told him that as long as he's building it for himself, it's ok....that it's only illegal if you're doing it to sell or transfer it......

thanks. been having a discussion with a friend that says a lawyer told him that as long as he's building it for himself, it's ok....that it's only illegal if you're doing it to sell or transfer it......

In any other state, sure.  But not NJ.

On 10/17/2012 at 11:35 AM, Jp10127 said:

I came across a video for an ar lower that still needs the trigger group and pin holes cut out. Aparently according to current statues this is a perfectly legal way to build an ar-15 but it isn't serialized or registered as a weapon. I don't care about the registering part that's not important to me but as long as the weapon is made by one person and never transfers ownership then it seems to be perfectly ok to do a build this way. I guess my question is, does anybody know if this is even true and possible in the lovely state of new Jersey? It seems like a fun way to build a firearm, it's a bit more than just slapping parts together. I don't plan on building it in a way that is illegal to Jersey rules and all, it would follow all rules as a regular stripped reciever build as afar as barrel length pinned stock, and what ever else.

I don't want to spend the money and not be able to posess this if its not legal but I'm not sure where to turn to for info so I figured I would start here. The company gives the statutes by the atf stating where you are legaly aloud to build a firearm for personal use so long as it is only for that person and not being produced for sale.

If anyone has done this or has any info pertaining to this it would be greatly appreciated.

I just got one from a PA show. You can go to a range or gunsmith there and they will build it for you. I built mine myself and it was a bit of a bitch without having proper tools

Id seek a different lawyer and if it were me that lower would be making a quick trip through the band saw.

One of the few laws in NJ that is not ambiguous. Notice it does not say business, it distinctly says person. This is the specific language that leaves most in agreement, including  the FIU, that it is illegal to finish an 80% lower in NJ and constitutes manufacturing.

13:54-1.2 Definitions

"Manufacturer" means any person who receives or obtains raw materials or parts and processes them into firearms or

finished parts of firearms, except a person who exclusively processes grips, stocks, and other nonmetal parts of firearms.

The term does not include a person who repairs existing firearms or receives new and raw materials or parts solely for

the repair of existing firearms.