343gremlin

first gun info

Hey guys, handing in my FID paperwork tomorrow, would like to hear some opinions on first gun selection. I have fired a glock, 1911, and springfield xd. Was honestly thinking about a cz75b. Like the feel of a all steel gun, but nobody around has a cz to fire at the range.... Any input would be appreciated. Looking for a 9mm no more than 6 to 700 bucks. Thanks

If your considering the cz-75 in 9mm I would suggest looking at the magnum research baby eagle II its all steel I have it in .45 and there is very minimal recoil and I hear in 9mm its even better. Definitely a tough built gun and will last you, best part is price, you can pick them up for around 500 dollars maybe 550 tops. I bought mine from shore shot for around 550, they are right in lakewood which is close to you because I live in jackson aswell. Just look them up on gunbroker and you will see price is very reasonable. Another gun to consider that I kick myself for not buying is the stoeger cougar its the metal version of the beretta px4 great gun all around, when I get around to filing for permits again I think I am gonna get one.

Check out the Beretta 92FS. Very easy to shoot. All metal pistol. Easy to take down and clean.

My first pistol was a Beretta 96 Vertec (I like the .40), but I sold that due to the grip, and got a regular Beretta 96. I still have it, over 10 years.

You must not go the right ranges.......

The CZ will do you fine!

OR, you could always start with a wheelgun......because on single-action you WILL hit what you aim at! 44 years of shootin' have taught me that!

Check out the Beretta 92FS. Very easy to shoot. All metal pistol. Easy to take down and clean.

My first pistol was a Beretta 96 Vertec (I like the .40), but I sold that due to the grip, and got a regular Beretta 96. I still have it, over 10 years.

+1

My first pistol was an M9. Very easy to use and clean. Accurate. Definitley recommended

What ranges that you know of have one as a rental Smokin? Would really love to try one out. Next tme I hit the range, Ill try the beretta out, honestly for whatever reason, Ive been more drawn to the CZ, but will still keep my options open until the time comes. I was quoted at 575 for a CZ75b, so thats right in the price range that im looking for, the whole thing is I would rather try before i buy

at what ranges that you know of have one as a rental Smokin? Would really love to try one out. Next tme I hit the range, Ill try the beretta out, honestly for whatever reason, Ive been more drawn to the CZ, but will still keep my options open until the time comes. I was quoted at 575 for a CZ75b, so thats right in the price range that im looking for, the whole thing is I would rather try before i buy

I don't frequent public ranges, and I've never rented a gun in 44 years of shooting. I belong to a private club with over 700 members, with lots of friendships in that group. A couple of the guys I shoot USPSA with have CZ's and LOVE them! I have shot theirs in the recent past. I have also shot with other members of the forum (Duppie) who is quite a shot with his CZ 75. I got to use his a couple months ago during a training session I ran. VERY nice handling and pointability. IMHO one of the best 9mm guns out in the marketplace. All of the controls where you'd expect them to be, and with a very comfortable grip angle that helps control recoil so well that it can put several rounds into a cloverleaf at 25 yards......hardly any creep in the trigger and a good shooter right outta the box!

Maybe get a hold of someone here who has one and take a trip to their home range?

Good luck and stay safe!

Dave

What ranges that you know of have one as a rental Smokin? Would really love to try one out. Next tme I hit the range, Ill try the beretta out, honestly for whatever reason, Ive been more drawn to the CZ, but will still keep my options open until the time comes. I was quoted at 575 for a CZ75b, so thats right in the price range that im looking for, the whole thing is I would rather try before i buy

I can't recommend the CZ enough.I have fired quite a few guns in the past 2 years and the only thing that even comes close is a 1911.The CZ is a heavy but accurate gun and you can put hundreds of rounds of just about any ammo through it without any fatigue or failures.

If you are still interested, I would be happy to let you give mine a run at Shore Shot, which is close to you, Just PM me and maybe we can set up a trip.

I don't frequent public ranges, and I've never rented a gun in 44 years of shooting. I belong to a private club with over 700 members, with lots of friendships in that group. A couple of the guys I shoot USPSA with have CZ's and LOVE them! I have shot theirs in the recent past. I have also shot with other members of the forum (Duppie) who is quite a shot with his CZ 75. I got to use his a couple months ago during a training session I ran. VERY nice handling and pointability. IMHO one of the best 9mm guns out in the marketplace. All of the controls where you'd expect them to be, and with a very comfortable grip angle that helps control recoil so well that it can put several rounds into a cloverleaf at 25 yards......hardly any creep in the trigger and a good shooter right outta the box!

Maybe get a hold of someone here who has one and take a trip to their home range?

Good luck and stay safe!

Dave

Thanks to you and Phil at SS, I'm getting some pretty tight groups at 9/10 yards with the CZ.... The Sig, however has got to go.

Ahh lol ok. Was wondering b/c my P229 is becoming my favorite gun. Maybe its just b/c its my 1st SA/DA all metal pistol, but i love it! Dont know much about the 250 but i know its DAO is that why you dislike it? Trigger sucks??

I bought the P250 primarily to be a HD firearm after much research for the DAO trigger and simplicity but didn't count on my wife's inability to effectively rack the slide. I also didn't count on me getting so into the shooting sports.

The P250 is a good gun but I've outgrown it and it's time to pass it along. No more plastic guns for me and I'm looking at a P6 among several others for a future purchase.

I bought the P250 primarily to be a HD firearm after much research for the DAO trigger and simplicity but didn't count on my wife's inability to effectively rack the slide. I also didn't count on me getting so into the shooting sports.

The P250 is a good gun but I've outgrown it and it's time to pass it along. No more plastic guns for me and I'm looking at a P6 among several others for a future purchase.

I agree. It's not made for shooting sports. Trigger pull is too long. I used mine as an off duty for awhile. I also agree about limiting future polymer purchases. The only one I see in my future is a g20 but that will have a mech tech upper and most likely stay as a rifle since I will have other 10mm handguns

I like my 250 a lot. Doesn't get shot much anymore

Not surprised Blue.....not with all the prime hardware you've acquired recently........

Hey guys, handing in my FID paperwork tomorrow, would like to hear some opinions on first gun selection. I have fired a glock, 1911, and springfield xd. Was honestly thinking about a cz75b. Like the feel of a all steel gun, but nobody around has a cz to fire at the range.... Any input would be appreciated. Looking for a 9mm no more than 6 to 700 bucks. Thanks

Here's an evaluation checklist...

Key Performance Factors.pdf

92a1 here, bought it from Paul at A&A right around your price range. All steel, disassembles in 2 seconds to clear, captured spring do it won't rocket off into my basement, accurate as any handgun out there, nearly impossible to stovepipe. If you can get used to he long SA pull on the Berettas you'll love it, I know I do.

Was told by Jackson PD at least 4-6months..... They said there was over 300 applications upstairs waiting.... ughhhhh

Holy crap. I'm glad I live in the normal half of this state. Well, relatively normal that is.

Was told by Jackson PD at least 4-6months..... They said there was over 300 applications upstairs waiting.... ughhhhh

It gives you time to research the perfect gun for yourself, and probably change your mind 20+ times, albeit that is definitely not great news. :-(

I've just had my 1 year anniversary of exercising my 2nd Amendment rights and was lucky enough to live in a township where the FID/PP process keeps to the ~4 weeks and the Detective in charge is A+. I researched the following as I was waiting for my FID and looked at weight, width, length, trigger/firing mechanism etc and added it to a spreadsheet. I test fired those that made it to a short list. This was my approach and some firearms, while good, didn't make it even onto this larger list e.g. Beretta 92 series as I had already shot and disliked. I had also previously shot an M&P and not been wowed, although I am reconsidering M&P as a potential next buy now.

1911 9mm (of some sort)

Beretta Px4 Storm

Browning HiPower 9mm

CZ 2075 Rami - double stack

CZ 75 Shadow T

CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Custom

CZ P-07 Duty

CZ SP-01 Phantom (polymer)

Ed Brown Kobra Carry Lightweight

FN Herstal FNP-9

FNH FNX-9

Glock 17

Glock 19 - double stack

Glock 34

H&K 45 LEM (no decocker/safety v7)

H&K 45c LEM (no decocker/safety v7)

HK P30

HK P7

HK USP

HK USPc

HK45

Kimber Custom Aegis II

Kimber/SIG 1911 .45ACP

Magnum Research IWI Baby Desert Eagle (9mm)

Ruger P9

S&W M&P9c

SA EMP

SA XD

SA XD9 sub compact 3"

SA XDm 3.8"

SA XDm 3.8" Compact

SA XDM 5.25

SIG 1911 9mm

Sig P226 USPSA

Sig P228 - double stack

Sig P229 SAS Gen 2 - double stack, no rail, SRT

Sig P239 - single stack

Sig P250

Sig P250 compact

Sig P250 sub compact

Sig P6 or P225

Sig Pro 2022

Springfield Armory Loaded

STI 1911 Ranger II 9mm

STI 1911 Spartan 9mm

STI 1911 Trojan 9mm

Walter PPQ

Walther P99

Walther PPQ

Walther PPS

I ended up buying the Sig P226 as my first firearm and use it extensively, I am also a fan of the Walther PPQ and PPS albeit I would recommend new shooters go for the Glock and/or M&P instead due to availability of accessories and more consistent controls such as the Mag release.

good luck

TheWombat

magnum research baby eagle II its all steel I have it in .45 and there is very minimal recoil and I hear in 9mm its even better. Definitely a tough built gun and will last you, best part is price, you can pick them up for around 500 dollars maybe 550 tops. I bought mine from shore shot for around 550

Hey Anthony, how long ago did you get that eagle from Shore Shot? I went in there the other day and they had it for $625. That's the MSRP. I thought that was a little high