RIK

use of a rifle obtained before the gun control act was passed

I HAVE READ HOW LONG IT TAKES FOR A FIREARM PURCHASER IDENTIFICATION CARD TO BE ISSUED BY ONE'S LOCAL POLICE AND DON'T WANT TO WAIT THAT LONG BUT,DON'T WANT TO OFFEND ANY STATE LAW SO LET ME ASK THE INFORMED THIS QUESTION : I HAVE AN OLD .22 RIFLE WHICH WAS GIVEN TO ME ABOUT 1959-1960. I DID NOT WANT TO TAKE IT OUT TO USE IN ANY WAY SINCE I WAS WORRIED THAT I MIGHT BE STOPPED AND EVEN THOUGH I THOUGHT THAT THE 2C:39-6(F)EXEMPTION WOULD APPLY IF I TOOK IT TO THE RANGE OR TO PRACTICE WITH I WAS CONCERNED WITH BEING STOPPED AND INCARCERATED FOR FAILURE TO CARRY A FID.SINCE tHE RIFLE WAS OBTAINED PRIOR TO THE GUN CONTROL ACT CAN I TAKE IT OUT LEGALLY OR DOES OUR LAW STILL MANDATE A FPID FOR THAT GUN BEfORE I CAN TREAT IT AS LEGALLY OBTAINED ?PS ASSUMING IT DOES REQUIRE A FPID LET ME ASK IF THE POLICE GENERALLY UNDERSTAND AND HONOR THE "RANGE"EXCEPTION IN 2C;39-6(F) ?

Hey Rik.

I can't comment on your inquiry. However, and please don't take offense to this, but you may want to turn your "caps lock" off as in internet speak full caps is considered "yelling" by many.

Good luck in your search.

C

I did not mean to yell.I just am old and have poor eyesight and the caps let me see that what i typed is what i intended (also i thought others might need the same assistance as i do to read).sorry if i offended anyone.i obviously underestimated the ocular health and probably the age of the forum readers.

i am not a lawyer but, i would think you are fine just having it. you did not obtain it in an illegal manner. lots of people move here with guns and never get their FID card. and as long as the gun is nj compliant as far and 15 round mag limit and "evil" features you should be fine. also, as long as you are going directly to or from a range it shouldn't be an issue. i would suggest getting it tho just so you can buy ammo without going to PA. sure it is a hassle is some towns, but better safe than sorry.

Those with particular knowledge on the subject will chime in, however as per the eyesight issue whilst typing, might I suggest holding the "Control" button and hitting the "+" sign to increase the size of the page you are viewing :) Hope it helps.

*edit*

hitting "Control" and "-" shrinks it, and hitting "control" and "0" resets back to default.

I HAVE READ HOW LONG IT TAKES FOR A FIREARM PURCHASER IDENTIFICATION CARD TO BE ISSUED BY ONE'S LOCAL POLICE AND DON'T WANT TO WAIT THAT LONG BUT,DON'T WANT TO OFFEND ANY STATE LAW SO LET ME ASK THE INFORMED THIS QUESTION : I HAVE AN OLD .22 RIFLE WHICH WAS GIVEN TO ME ABOUT 1959-1960. I DID NOT WANT TO TAKE IT OUT TO USE IN ANY WAY SINCE I WAS WORRIED THAT I MIGHT BE STOPPED AND EVEN THOUGH I THOUGHT THAT THE 2C:39-6(F)EXEMPTION WOULD APPLY IF I TOOK IT TO THE RANGE OR TO PRACTICE WITH I WAS CONCERNED WITH BEING STOPPED AND INCARCERATED FOR FAILURE TO CARRY A FID.SINCE tHE RIFLE WAS OBTAINED PRIOR TO THE GUN CONTROL ACT CAN I TAKE IT OUT LEGALLY OR DOES OUR LAW STILL MANDATE A FPID FOR THAT GUN BEfORE I CAN TREAT IT AS LEGALLY OBTAINED ?PS ASSUMING IT DOES REQUIRE A FPID LET ME ASK IF THE POLICE GENERALLY UNDERSTAND AND HONOR THE "RANGE"EXCEPTION IN 2C;39-6(F) ?

Rik,

Think of the NJ FID as permit to purchase new long arms and ammo in New Jersey. More importantly though, it is effectively a "carry permit" that allows you to have the long arm in your possession outside the exemptions you speak of (to and from home and range, etc). Getting a Firearms ID gives you much more freedom of mobility, for example keeping the rifle in your trunk so you can go shooting after work. Without it, stick to traveling directly to and from ranges, and you will be OK. You are basically in the same boat as someone who moved here from another state with guns they legally bought there. They are not illegal, just "restricted" according to our asinine laws here.

As for the tin foil hat guys, I suspect this is just an influx of older shooters looking to rekindle their interest in our great hobby and wanting to weave their way through our maze of gun laws.

What kind of .22 cal rifle is it? And what is the capacity? If it is a tube fed Marlin 60 and can hold 17 rounds, then that rifle is considered verboten in NJ. (The FID or the lack of has nothing to do with it).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Model_60

"Feed system 15 or 18 rounds; tubular magazine capacity is either 17 rounds (before the late 1980s) or 14 rounds (since the late 1980s)"

It's legal in all ways ,no high capacity mag ,short barrel etc..Nothing prohibited about the firearm itself.The only issue is as to any "permit/licensing" mandate by the government .If purchased today with a FPID there would be no issue at all. So if I understand this in order to keep it in a car or take to a location other than a range or practice field I need a "purchase" even though it was purchased over 50 years ago ? While we are on the subject of "old" firearms and speaking totally hypothetically : if this were a handgun ,which had no prohibited features like high capacity magazine or a suppressor etc. would the situation be any different ? That is to say if one bought a handgun in the 1950's would one need a FPID or any other permit or authorization from the government even to take the pistol straight to and from the range and so forth ?

RIK, you are good to go so long as you drive directly to and from the range without messing around. You can stop for gas or coffee, but don't stop for a movie or anything of the sort on the way. This is also for whatever handgun also. So long as nothing is 15+1 capacity or full auto. You can own firearms in this state without paperwork if you inherited them, moved to NJ from out of state, or owned them prior to the new laws. Make sure everything is unloaded, cased, and ammo separate from guns.

I reccomend getting an FPID so you can buy ammo, and to avoid any hassle. You can essentially go joyriding with a rifle/shotgun but I wouldnt.