Hooligan

Florida CCW - Did not accept hunters ed card

Just a heads up to anybody who intends to use their NJ hunter's ed card as proof of training when applying for a Florida CCW license. I sent a copy of the card and they sent me a letter politely informing me that training documentation must include the license number and signature of the instructor.

Just for S&G's I threw in a copy of my SAFS certificate from Camp Perry last year. Didn't seem to help. :pardon:

Flame away if you think I'm a dumbazz. Just trying to save someone else a headache.

Off to find a class asap...

I thought I had read on here that hunters ed card was sufficient to fulfill requirement.

It is. The extra info they are looking for doesn't make sense. A quick google search...not all HE cards have a line for instructor info.

Statute says just need a certificate of completion.

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm;

Worked for me earlier this year -- I sent a copy of the original Certificate that was given as a verification of the class -- My certificate was 20 years old but they took it no problem

I believe I sent them my Rifle License certificate and it was signed by the instructor back then.

Jer

I may get flamed for this, but I'm GLAD they didn't! Hunting with a rifle or shotgun and CCW of a hand gun is about as close as comparing driving a Volkswagen bus and a Lamborghini at 200 MPH.

Completion of a NRA Basic Pistol Class should be the minimum requirement IMHO, and PROOF of competitve-level shooting in IDPA, USPSA and other nationally recognized disciplines should be the exemption to having to attend the Basic Pistol Class. Unless you plan on carrying your shotgun under your duster on a sling......

They accepted my Hunters Ed card.

Completion of a NRA Basic Pistol Class should be the minimum requirement IMHO, and PROOF of competitve-level shooting in IDPA, USPSA and other nationally recognized disciplines should be the exemption to having to attend the Basic Pistol Class.

Yeah, because there is such an epidemic of CCW carriers shooting innocent bystanders. I suppose I'm ok with the IDPA and other gun games as a prerequisite as long as burglars and bad guys are made of cardboard or steel, don't move much and press a buzzer when you're allowed to draw your firearm.

I may get flamed for this, but I'm GLAD they didn't! Hunting with a rifle or shotgun and CCW of a hand gun is about as close as comparing driving a Volkswagen bus and a Lamborghini at 200 MPH.

Completion of a NRA Basic Pistol Class should be the minimum requirement IMHO, and PROOF of competitve-level shooting in IDPA, USPSA and other nationally recognized disciplines should be the exemption to having to attend the Basic Pistol Class. Unless you plan on carrying your shotgun under your duster on a sling......

There is absolutely zero correlation between increased training requirements and decreased accidents.

Everyone who carries should seek training, however it absolutely should not a state requirement, especially since there is no evidence that a 1 (2, 4, 8, whatever) hour course does anything to affect accident rates, or even good/bad shooting rates.

Well, they do take a DD214, which is a certificate that proves release from the military. Most people in the Army don't get pistol training. In fact, I recall that in my first 16 years of service time, I fired a 1911A1 once for a familiarization fire and the Beretta M9 twice. If course, I was infantry, and not an MP and until recently, only officers and higher NCOs had pistols. But I could say that the training you get in the Army (how to keep your gun up and down range and shoot at 40 popup targets) has absolutely nothing to do with CCW either. But I'm still glad they took my paperwork...

It is. The extra info they are looking for doesn't make sense. A quick google search...not all HE cards have a line for instructor info. Statute says just need a certificate of completion.

From the FLA CCW application instructions...

The copy of the training certificate/document must be clear and legible. The certificate/document must include your name,

your instructor’s name, your instructor’s qualifications/credentials (National Rifle Association instructor, law enforcement

firearms instructor, Class “K” Firearms Instructor licensed by the State of Florida, etc.), and your instructor’s license/certification

number.

:facepalm:

If you contact NJ Hunter Ed they will mail you a new certificate that should meet FL requirements... They have signatures..

This is news to me. Who exactly do I contact? Have you done this before?

For anyone concerned, I intend to take a defensive handgun course before actually carrying.

Having sat in on half a dozen or more classes for the FL/UT permit class since February, I can say Florida has gotten a bit picky lately with certificates and what's on them. Your not the only person that's been rejected lately that's for sure.

I emailed Florida. This is their reply

Yes, the hunter safety card will be acceptable. Make sure the instructor

name and number is present; along with the area of certification ( NRA,

Criminal Justice, Wildlife Conservation ( or equivalent)) .

I have emailed back to let them know nj does not list instructor Info so I will see what try say

DD214 worked for me, and I fired a Beretta M9 once.

I have always used my DD214 so far.  I make sure to capitalize "AIRBORNE" at the end of service branch and use lots of X's in the MOS if requested.  Unfortunately, not good enough for Utah :( I had a bow hunting class in NJ as a kid but I have since lost it.  They made us shoot at a pie plate. You had to hit it some of the time.

I just received confirmation from the Compliance Officer Supervisor that my NJ FID "will be acceptable for training". I sent a picture of my card which I got in February of this year. So it seems there is some confusion in Florida. If you were denied but want her info send me a pm and ill relay the contact info I used