Jayhawk

Need gun advice/dealer recommendations

Hi everyone. New gun purchaser here and new to the forum.

Just got my FID and 2 handgun permits. Looking to get a few different things, and would appreciate some advice on what to get and the best places to purchase. Prefer used/not abused if possible but open to new for a good price/.

1. Handguns for home defense and general personal defense (Revolver and semi-auto)

Revolver: torn between .38 special and .357. Need something for stopping power but easy to manage/handle a 2:00am

Semi: Looking at Glock 19 or Sig Sauer 226 or 229, open to other recommendations.

2. Shotgun

Mossberg 500 or similar with tactical grip

3. AR-15 or similar long rifle

I'm in Monmouth county, if you have any nearby dealer or FFL recommendations. Also open to private deals as well if I can try it out.

Welcome to the forum. You can use the Vendor Request form to see who has what in stock or can obtain a particular weapon for you once you decide. There's also the For Sale page which has some of the aforementioned weapons that you are looking at. We have a number of FFLs on the board that are supporters and I would encourage you to use them and support a brick and mortar facility.

Welcome. I woul put out a request as previously said. Put your location in your profile and it would be easier for us to give advice. I recommend Tj sporting arms in bayville, nj. He is a forum vendor and great guy to deal with. If your way down south, pk90 is a good dealer.

Welcome.

I've been in 4 gun shops recently, and in order of preference recommend L&H in Wall followed by Bullseye Tactical in Wood Bridge. I'm not a big fan or Shore Shot or Brick Armory in the Lakewood Area.

I've got a prestine Colt Trooper MKIII listed in the buy sell and as luck would have it, it's presently being stored in Freehold.

this place has tons of new stuff you can look at.

http://www.heritageguild.com/

A GP100 or a 686 is a no brainer for shooting 38 Special +p

Both P226 & P229 are good choices. Length is a matter of preference.

Once you pull the trigger in single action, you'll put the Glock back down.

Hi everyone. New gun purchaser here and new to the forum.

Just got my FID and 2 handgun permits. Looking to get a few different things, and would appreciate some advice on what to get and the best places to purchase. Prefer used/not abused if possible but open to new for a good price/.

1. Handguns for home defense and general personal defense (Revolver and semi-auto)

Revolver: torn between .38 special and .357. Need something for stopping power but easy to manage/handle a 2:00am Not sure of your living situation but at 2:00am if you miss with the 357 what is behind your target. Hell, any gun and in any situation

Semi: Looking at Glock 19 or Sig Sauer 226 or 229, open to other recommendations. have you looked at the M&P's and the PX4 Storms? I see alot of comparisons on the interwebs.

2. Shotgun

Mossberg 500 or similar with tactical grip (good choice, alot of neat stuff to buy)

3. AR-15 or similar long rifle (if you have the time and patience build one)

I'm in Monmouth county, if you have any nearby dealer or FFL recommendations. Also open to private deals as well if I can try it out.

Welcome! I faced a similar handgun decision last year (excluding the glock). Mostly personal preference between a Ruger GP100 vs. Smith and Wesson 686, can't go wrong with either. I ended up with a 686 SSR which is a 4" model. I have a 6" revolver too but would prefer 4" for defense for easier handling. I'd load 38 +P in a revolver for defense but that's due to my location and concerns about muzzle flash and blast of a magnum round in an enclosed space at night.

Definitely shoot the Glocks and SIGs, they handle very differently. Striker fired vs. DA/SA. I have a SIG 229 Stainless Elite and a 226 X5 All Around. I barely have to aim the X5 it points so naturally, but use the 229 as my defense gun. The shorter length is a little handier getting it out of my drawer safe and I like the rail for attaching a light to plus it has night sights. I use the 229 over a revolver for defense due the rail, but that's just my preference and there's definitely something to be said for the reliability of a revolver.

Shore Shot is a little expensive to rent and gets busy on weekends but they also have decent rental selection so you can try some different options. Others here are fans of Brick Armory. Heritage Guild in Rahway doesn't have a range (Easton, PA does) but they have a great gun selection as well as used options.

Luciano's in Woodland Park, the customer service there is great. I just purchased my first handgun today, HK P30S, from them. I've been looking for a few weeks trying to make a decision. These guys didnt care how long it took, they just wanted me to be satisfied with my purchase. They were extremely knowledgeable and helpful, went out of their way to make sure I knew what I was getting. No pressure to buy at all. Only downside is that you can't test fire any of the guns but I suspect that will change when they complete their range. I highly recommend you check them out. I'll never buy from anywhere else.