revenger

Maryland court case today

The ruling should stand up in appeals court. Hopefully it will open up a flood of lawsuits in NJ.

Edit.

I just read the Maryland forum board. No decision yet. The appeals court sounds as if it doesn't want to rule and rather send it to scotus.

The way I see it, if MD and NJ both have the same type of lawsuit looking to go to scotus at the same time, there is a good chance they will hear it. I think scotus will rule that self defense does not end at ones door.

People shouldn't get to excited about SCOTUS, if and when a judge gets replaced it could seriously hurt us. Which is why this election is so important.

As mush as we push for SCOTUS, so are the haters. To get a new showdown on HELLER and MCDONALD.

People shouldn't get to excited about SCOTUS, if and when a judge gets replaced it could seriously hurt us. Which is why this election is so important.

As mush as we push for SCOTUS, so are the haters. To get a new showdown on HELLER and MCDONALD.

Heller and Mcdonald have already been decided. It is extremely hard to reverse a scotus decision. It is the law of the land.

What needs to be addressed is the right to self defense outside the home. Which has already been implied but not written in black and white.

Heller and Mcdonald have already been decided. It is extremely hard to reverse a scotus decision. It is the law of the land.

What needs to be addressed is the right to self defense outside the home. Which has already been implied but not written in black and white.

No it isnt..all they need is a majority and a similar case. There have been a LOT of SCOTUS decisions that were reversed over the years....

No it isnt..all they need is a majority and a similar case. There have been a LOT of SCOTUS decisions that were reversed over the years....

I have to disagree. I have researched scotus reversals a couple times. It seems they are few and far in between. Every source I found all agree it is not easy to do. The biggest factor in a scotus reversal is usually time. Most reversals happen decades later because the times have changed and the laws needed to be changed to keep up.

At one time Maryland used to be an open carry state. That ended in 1972. It looks like the Conceal Carry permits were originally issued by the sheriff's, then the state decided to take it over to make the whole state discretionary and made open carry illegal without a permit (that the state will not issue).

http://forum.opencar...and-Shall-Issue

"Open carry of firearms was always legal for the citizens of Maryland --until 1972 when a law was passed prohibiting open carry, but allowing concealed carry with a permit to be issued at the discretion of the Maryland State Police. Why was open carry suddenly prohibited after 300 years? Why was the concealed carry permit process made discretionary instead of clearly defined and open?"

"This was a direct result of fears from the Baltimore Race Riots of 1968. The law was racist in origin and needs to be rescinded. By selectively disarming only victims, the law restricting carry of weapons resulted in a dramatic increase in crime."

Edit: Found more info

http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/112498-why-oc-where-did-conceal-carry-come.html

"The new laws of 1972 took the CC liscencing from the county sheriffs and handed it to the state police, and OC was only lawful if you had a CC lisc, or while hunting/trapping, training hunting dogs, on your own property, and when target shooting. Even with the CC lisc, OCing ended up being frowned upon and one could lose the hard to get lisc for doing so ( unless you were armed security or someone special). By removing the sheriffs from the lisc'ing process, the entire state became may issue. I have reason to believe that the sheriffs in many counties would issue in a shall-issue manner ...."

Is Maryland like nj where it's technically no issue everywhere or is it like ny where it is easy upstate but impossible other places?

Maryland, Hawaii and New Jersey are technically no issue for carry permits.because of a 'justified need requirement' state wide.

California, NY State and Massachusetts have areas that do issue carry permits. It varies from county to county for California and New York. And for Massachusetts in areas away from Boston and close in suburbs.

NY requires a pistol permit no matter where you live in the state, it takes 6 months to a year to get. You cannot bring in a pistol from another state if you move there, it must go through an FFL. You cannot possess a pistol without a pistol permit. Some counties allow pistol permits for all lawful purposes (general carry). Some counties have target and hiking recreation restrictions. New York City premises permit only, unless you have a hunting license then allegedly they then allow for transport out of NYC.

You have to be a NY resident to get a NY pistol permit, they do not issue "Out Of State" 'pistol permits'. However I believe if you have a business in NY State, you might be able to apply for a business premises permit, or if you are luck a full carry permit if you can prove you need it if you handle a lot of cash. Or if you are an armed guard that works in NY you might be able to get a carry permit good only when you are on the job in uniform.

California requires pistols to be registered upon moving into the state and you must fill out some kind of 'DROS' form and pay a $29 fee. Then apply to the sheriff for a carry permit. Just like NY State, some areas (counties) you can get a carry permit. Forget areas in or around Los Angeles and San Francisco . Further away from them the better.

Massachusetts requires a Class A FID for conceal carry and possession for a pistol. If you move there you have 60 days grace period to get one. But you can't bring it out of the house to the target range until you do get the permit. The Class A FID is a carry permit as well, but it might be impossible to get in areas in and around Boston from what I have read.

The difference between Maryland vs. Hawaii and Jersey is that you can get a permit in MD for certain reasons. In Hawaii and Jersey you cannot.

Some licensed professionals, such as: doctors, dentists, engineers, CPAs, etc. are issued licenses in MD with some reason provided. Carrying cash for business is a reason for licensure. All of these are discretionary, of course, but I have known people that had them for these reasons, and these people had no "connections." It's not possible in NJ or Hawaii.

The difference between Maryland vs. Hawaii and Jersey is that you can get a permit in MD for certain reasons. In Hawaii and Jersey you cannot.

Some licensed professionals, such as: doctors, dentists, engineers, CPAs, etc. are issued licenses in MD with some reason provided. Carrying cash for business is a reason for licensure. All of these are discretionary, of course, but I have known people that had them for these reasons, and these people had no "connections." It's not possible in NJ or Hawaii.

Just curious - what "good and substantial reason" (language from MD's permiting law) would a dentist/engineer/cpa/doctor have for a carry permit?

Just curious - what "good and substantial reason" (language from MD's permiting law) would a dentist/engineer/cpa/doctor have for a carry permit?

A doctor I met on Long Island has a carry permit, because he handles/transports narcotics.

In that category, I met two of them at a training class that had their permits. Insights at West Shore Sportsmen in PA. That is all they explained to me. I also know somebody that doesn't even live in MD but has a business there and got a permit after submitting copies of frequent deposits of large sums of cash.

Possession of quantities of Narcotics for the Docs and Dentists..Maybe Cash or securities for the CPA

Thanks. That's kind of what I was asking