Sign in to follow this  
JamesC

Advice on using an ACOG for Classes and Competition?

Hey all,

I'm finally getting into using my M&P 15T for something more than being a safe queen and distance shooting. I currently have an ACOG (4x32 Dual Illuminated ballistic reticle + RMR Sight) plus magpul backup sights and need some advice. I have done mostly distance shooting with the platform and haven't spent much time with competition usage. I'd like to try some rifle competition (3 gun, 2 gun, or side stages) and get more "tactical" experience.

I've registered for a GFH Urban Carbine 1 course and I'm looking for advice around using the ACOG in such short ranges. Will the optic serve the purpose or should I go with the iron sights for the class? I see lots of people opting for the Aimpoint T-1's these days so I'm concerned that I have the right tool for the job.

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

It should work just fine. You might be a little slower at first... but many people make ACOGs work for all aspects of shooting. But... you said you also have an RMR mounted... that could work in your favor too. Some people don't like the RMR up high (you go from a cheek weld to a chin weld.) Some put it offset with a 45 degree adapter. Some do away with it all together.

Or... you can just run the RMR on it's own.

If that's what you have... train with it. You'll get better.

FWIW, I have a TA31H on my AR. I'm a happy camper.

... you said you also have an RMR mounted... that could work in your favor too. Some people don't like the RMR up high (you go from a cheek weld to a chin weld.) Some put it offset with a 45 degree adapter. Some do away with it all together.

Or... you can just run the RMR on it's own.

That's an awesome idea. I've had some pain with having to break the cheek weld to use the RMR, rolling to an offset sounds like an awesome alternative.

Depends on what kind of base (if any) your RMR has...

If your RMR has a base, then you just need a 45 offset rail... they're $30 or so at Midway to give you a ballpark. (Trijicon has one too... the RM55... it's $99. LoL.)

If your RMR has no other mount than your ACOG.. you don't necessarily need to buy a base for it AND a 45 offset.... you can buy something like the Burkett (http://www.predatortactical.com/Burkett-OffSet-Mount-GEN-2-p37.html)

Depends on what kind of base (if any) your RMR has...

If your RMR has a base, then you just need a 45 offset rail... they're $30 or so at Midway to give you a ballpark. (Trijicon has one too... the RM55... it's $99. LoL.)

If your RMR has no other mount than your ACOG.. you don't necessarily need to buy a base for it AND a 45 offset.... you can buy something like the Burkett (http://www.predatortactical.com/Burkett-OffSet-Mount-GEN-2-p37.html)

Thanks for the lead. This is more to my liking - less parts and QD without paying out the butt. I like that it has wings to protect the optic too.