Bubba-NJ

Revolver for HD

the reason I stated a carbine is because stability creates accuracy.... and accuracy creates confidence..

when something is comfortable.. and you are confident with it.. you are not afraid to use it..

...snip...

this to me makes for a winning recipe in regards to home defense.. a pistol takes far more practice to operate smoothly..

Read this twice then write it down.

This is TRUTH.

Read this twice then write it down.

This is TRUTH.

QFT. I'm comfortable with just about everything. Wife LOVES my(though she now thinks it's HERS) 15-22, so that has become her new go-to HD gun.

I would really like my wife to be able to shoot a 5.56x45 carbine as well as a .22. But, since that's not the case for a lot of varying reasons, I would rather she defend herself with a .22 Carbine that she can shoot quickly and accurately enough to put 15 rounds of .22LR in a 6 inch circle at 15 yards in under 2.5 seconds than a .45 that she can get maybe 3 shots off in the same time in a bigger group.

There's no doubt that a rifle/shotgun would be preferable for HD.

I keep a pistol strictly for practicality with regard to kids in the house, (small drawer safe) haven't come up with a system I'm comfortable with storing a long gun, loaded at arms reach with kids about.

There's no doubt that a rifle/shotgun would be preferable for HD.

I keep a pistol strictly for practicality with regard to kids in the house, (small drawer safe) haven't come up with a system I'm comfortable with storing a long gun, loaded at arms reach with kids about.

Unloaded carbine.... Loaded mag in small safe? Under pillow?

Kids not gonna shoot himself with an unloaded gun...

Rifle not shotgun...

Unloaded carbine.... Loaded mag in small safe? Under pillow?

Kids not gonna shoot himself with an unloaded gun...

Wow

Mag in the small safe..I'm a little embarrassed that hadn't occurred to me!

in an unrelated story, 2+2=4

Hey guys nobody has memtioned the Chippewa Rhino. It's an ugly revolver but

because of the way it is constructed there is hardly any recoil when shooting it with 357's and almost no recoil with 38's. The barrel is on the bottom of the chambered round which brings it in line with your wrist therefore much less recoil. Very well constructed but the look is very different. If you can get over the ugly look you will be happy with it's shooting ability with it's excellent adjustable

sights.

Scig

sights.

I purchased a S & W 686 tonight . Couple boxes of ammo also . Now off to get a cleaning kit as the manual stated to clean it before usage . Again thanks for all the input . When I take the wife to a range I'll have her try out an AR if one is available .

I purchased a S & W 686 tonight . Couple boxes of ammo also . Now off to get a cleaning kit as the manual stated to clean it before usage . Again thanks for all the input . When I take the wife to a range I'll have her try out an AR if one is available .

Good choice on going with the 686.

If you want to try an AR I might be going to Delran sunday to shoot mine and test out my new .22 conversion for it (depending on my schedule).

Im not sure if thier handgun range is reopened yet, I dont see it posted as being closed on the website anymore so it may be open. http://www.delranjuniormarksman.com/

Good choice dude, revolvers make a lot more sense for HD than semi-auto pistols. It's the second best gun for HD, behind a 12 gauge shotgun of course. Not saying you need a shotgun, but they trump all others in this area.

That's silly.

I don't think a revolver or a shotgun are terrible choices, I wouldn't feel under-gunned with either - given appropriate ammo/caliber, and I didn't have access to my rifle or pistol. They are just not my first choice, and I am curious as to why Ray thinks they are the "Bee's Knees" for HD.

elementary my dear watson, elementary

In regards to a revolver over a semi-auto: Load and forget it, no malfunction drills, more powerful cartridges, easier function and use, etc etc.

In regards to a shotgun over everything else: 12 gauge shotguns INDOORS AND AT FIGHTING DISTANCES are the most lethal firearms hands down. I'm not talking outside or in an urban or suburban environment, I'm talking across your bedroom or across the hall.

Class is over, I'll have a quiz on Friday and an exam on Monday. Thanks

Great choice. I have an S&W 686 P and my wife has no problems shooting it. In fact she never lets me shoot it.

If you're still looking for advice, next pick up a second revolver in 22 LR like an S&W 617. That gives you a super cheap practice option ($20 for 500 22LR rounds vs $16 for 50 rounds of .38 special). Since the 617 is the same exact a very similar frame as the 686, you can learn great fundamentals on a similar gun (same controls, size and sight picture) but with a zero-recoil dirt cheap round. Plus 22s are fun to shoot.

If you go the AR route, price ammo and make sure there's a range near where you live where you can practice. ARs are not immediately instinctive for new shooters the way a revolver is - so budget for ammo, training and practice time.

Be safe and don't forget to have fun.

Since the 617 is the same exact frame as the 686, you can learn great fundamentals on the same gun (same controls, size, weight and sight picture) but with a zero-recoil dirt cheap round. Plus 22s are fun to shoot

Nit-Pick police here. The 686 is built on the L-frame and the 617 is built on the K-frame. They both have the same grip frame size, but the K-frame is smaller. Controls and sight picture remain the same, but the 617 is smaller and lighter overall. Still a valid option for inexpensive practice.

Enjoy.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Nit-Pick police here. The 686 is built on the L-frame and the 617 is built on the K-frame. They both have the same grip frame size, but the K-frame is smaller. Controls and sight picture remain the same, but the 617 is smaller and lighter overall. Still a valid option for inexpensive practice.

Point taken. LOL

elementary my dear watson, elementary

In regards to a revolver over a semi-auto: Load and forget it, no malfunction drills, more powerful cartridges, easier function and use, etc etc.

In regards to a shotgun over everything else: 12 gauge shotguns INDOORS AND AT FIGHTING DISTANCES are the most lethal firearms hands down. I'm not talking outside or in an urban or suburban environment, I'm talking across your bedroom or across the hall.

Class is over, I'll have a quiz on Friday and an exam on Monday. Thanks

Hogwash and poppycock.

I have seen malfunctions with a revolver. It happens. Anything built by man can, and will, fail.

As far as powerful cartridges, so what? I have seen people dropped like they were hit with the fist of an angry God from 1 .22LR through the shoulder and folks that lived from a .357mag to the forehead. The bad guy has a vote when the fight os over, as does Murphy. Multiple shots, quickly to a critical area is the way to ensure the desired effect. With more powerful cartridges you are increasing recoil (Hooray Physics) that means longer split times, or rushed/missed shots. I can get 10 rounds in a 6" circle in under 3 seconds at 5 yards with my .40. Can't do that with a big bore revolver. Plus, I would rather have 15 rounds of 9mm and a sub 2 second reload for another 15 than 6 rounds of .44mag and a what?... 5 second reload for another six rounds (don't shoot revolvers very much, so I am guessing what decent reload time is). There is a reason most PDs, militaries, etc. went to semi-auto pistols.

You can keep your shotguns. I will grab my AR every time, but since this is a revolver thread, I will leave it at that.

There is a reason most PDs, militaries, etc. went to semi-auto pistols.

You can keep your shotguns. I will grab my AR every time, but since this is a revolver thread, I will leave it at that.

This is about home defense, not walking the beat on the street as a uniformed officer. But you made some valid points, as did I.

This is about home defense, not walking the beat on the street as a uniformed officer. But you made some valid points, as did I.

True, but the reason for the pistol on the nightstand is the same as the primary reason for the pistol on the hip of a cop, or a soldier - Self Defense - with the same criteria and demands when the balloon goes up.

Anyway, I know I will never change your mind bud, but, I do like the discussion!

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would choose a pistol/revolver as a primary SD/HD weapon, if they didn't have to. Any pistol caliber weapon is a poor fight stopper with over penetration issues.

True, but the reason for the pistol on the nightstand is the same as the primary reason for the pistol on the hip of a cop, or a soldier - Self Defense - with the same criteria and demands when the balloon goes up.

Anyway, I know I will never change your mind bud, but, I do like the discussion!

Personally, I don't understand why anyone would choose a pistol/revolver as a primary SD/HD weapon, if they didn't have to. Any pistol caliber weapon is a poor fight stopper with over penetration issues.

I have no experience with long guns but wouldn't a AR platform in traditional calibers have over penetration issues also? Perhaps even more so?

Seriously considering a S & W model 60 , seems to really fit my needs .

You can't go wrong with that choice. You may also want to consider an older Ruger Speed Six w/ a 2.75" barrel. There were a few awesome one's made for the postal service with 3" barrels.

I have no experience with long guns but wouldn't a AR platform in traditional calibers have over penetration issues also? Perhaps even more so?

The formal testing I have seen and the informal testing I have conducted show that in any real defensive caliber .38, 9mm, .40, .45, 12g Slug, 00B, #1 shot, .223/5.56 FMJ, OTM and Soft Nose (no .22 LR or birdshot, for example) a .223/5.56 projectile from a 16" barrel, has the least amount of penetration in typical US house construction materials while still maintaining an appropriate 10"-12" of penetration in 10% ballistic gelatin.

12g slugs and pistol calibers in 10"-16" barreled carbines penetrated the most, followed by the 12g shot, then the pistol calibers from handguns.

Overall the .223/5.56 outperformed in every category, hands down.

The formal testing I have seen and the informal testing I have conducted show that in any real defensive caliber .38, 9mm, .40, .45, 12g Slug, 00B, #1 shot, .223/5.56 FMJ, OTM and Soft Nose (no .22 LR or birdshot, for example) a .223/5.56 projectile from a 16" barrel, has the least amount of penetration in typical US house construction materials while still maintaining an appropriate 10"-12" of penetration in 10% ballistic gelatin.

12g slugs and pistol calibers in 10"-16" barreled carbines penetrated the most, followed by the 12g shot, then the pistol calibers from handguns.

Overall the .223/5.56 outperformed in every category, hands down.

Thanks. With no prior experience with long guns and common calibers, a layman's perception would be exactly the opposite, thus my question.

Proving that even a cursory familiarity with firearms does not dispel commonly held myths and preconceptions.

Thank you again.

Until I saw it with my own eyes, I was in the same boat as you. I truly believed that the rifle rounds would zip through everything. If someone would have told me the results of the test ahead of time, I would've thought they were a fool. It is most assuredly counter intuitive for the rifle rounds to behave in that manner. If you ever get a chance to attend some ballistic training/seminar you should definitely go. it is eye-opening to say the least.