Bully

1911 Gun Game Optics

In addition to a set of sights for my Kimber, I have a 9mm 1911 that I am building. It's at the 'smith getting final fitting done and will have a nice light trigger. I am looking to use it for gun games/range toy. I am thinking that I want some kind of "dot" type sight on it. Small. Mounted low.

I've seen the Burris, and I like the price but am looking for input and suggestions. Less money spent is better but will try and pony up for the right piece if I can.

Suggestions?

Christopher

126e34b4.jpg

I had this done to the Glock 35 I use in competitions and for HD.

af57ff09.jpg

They (L&M Precision Gunworks) milled the slide to install the MRDS behind suppressor height iron sights.

47fa7a32.jpg

The irons make picking up the dot on initial presentation a little easier and if the MRDS craps out, I still have irons to use. Crappy pic but you get the idea.

They can do the same with 1911s.

I like it a lot and it is very precise, however, I am still much slower from the holster with the dot vs just irons, but faster and more accurate at distance and on target transitions with the dot.

Need to practice with it more.

Yes, it is an RMR07. The work cost about $300 to do the milling, cerakoting, and installation of all the parts including the cost of the suppressor height BUIS.the RMR was about $300 used, the slide was $200 and the barrel $200, I had the rest of the I ternals lying around.

I am a big believer in what ronhonda says. You get what you pay for.

Chris:

Maybe you need to be more specific when you say "gun games". As Maks pointed out, an optic may be a great idea for steel - knock-down or static, I don't participate so not really sure of the rules.

If you are interested in action pistol, i.e. USPSA or IDPA, then an optic is not a good idea on a 1911. In USPSA it will automatically throw you in the Open division, where you will be seriously undergunned with a 1911. IDPA does not allow optics in any division.

Didn't want you to go out and spend a ton of (or even a little) money and then find out you can't use what you purchased.

Good luck in your quest.

Adios,

Pizza Bob