fmtek

Generator question.

Steele 6000W generator - 1.16 quarts according to the spec

http://www.samsclub....4780461.ip#spec

As was stated in an earlier post, make sure to use a high quality oil. These machines will possibly be running for a long time. If possible, also replace the spark plug with a quality unit.

Follow the manufacturer directions about the initial oil flush. Most are within the first 20 or so hours.

I use to work at a shop repairing them and also do it at my shop in clifton. Use 0w30 oil and it's one quart usually. Check the oil while using it bc brigs and stranton n generacs have issues of blowing. Any questions or repairs pm me

I use to work at a shop repairing them and also do it at my shop in clifton. Use 0w30 oil and it's one quart usually. Check the oil while using it bc brigs and stranton n generacs have issues of blowing. Any questions or repairs pm me

What do you mean issues of blowing? I just freaking bought a Briggs and Stratton. :(

I hear ya! I just p/u one @ Lowes just in case.

I hope NOT to use it and return it on Wednesday!

Package will be unopened until needed.

I was going to do that too, but I didn't want to be making a shelter for it in the middle of a hurricane so I decided to hook her up and get her running. I'd do it right now if I were you. There's no doubt we're going to lose powers for a significant amount of time.

I hear ya! I just p/u one @ Lowes just in case.

I hope NOT to use it and return it on Wednesday!

Package will be unopened until needed.

Thats a bad plan, you are going to find yourself doing the first oil change in the middle of a storm, trying to figure out where all the controls are, etc. Not to mention, you might need it again and if your plan is to never use it and return it you might have taken the last generator from someone who was going to REALLY need it.

Thats a bad plan, you are going to find yourself doing the first oil change in the middle of a storm, trying to figure out where all the controls are, etc. Not to mention, you might need it again and if your plan is to never use it and return it you might have taken the last generator from someone who was going to REALLY need it.

Mine is hooked up, but I'll still be doing my first oil change in the middle of the storm. You're supposed to do it after about 12 hours of run time, correct? Do I actually have to drain the oil or will the oil be gone? Probably have to drain it, which sucks b/c I dont know where the drain is. LOL.

Who knows .. it needs to have air to run, somewhere for the CO to go, and not be in the rain. I'd be more worried about the table being blown away then anything else. Just don't run it inside your house or attached garage, everything else is secondary. I suspect unless you enclose it in a airtight shed it would have enough air, the CO is the bigger worry.

Start it up, turn off and recheck oil level

I will do that. I started it up and tested the outlets. I had to then run out to help my cousin with sandbagging his garage

I will check the oil when I get home.

Who knows .. it needs to have air to run, somewhere for the CO to go, and not be in the rain. I'd be more worried about the table being blown away then anything else. Just don't run it inside your house or attached garage, everything else is secondary. I suspect unless you enclose it in a airtight shed it would have enough air, the CO is the bigger worry.

Its outside. Table and tarp have cinder blocks on it. I guess it'll have to do.

Do you guys attach ground wires and such?

For a portable yes. I just got some extra cheap jumper cables (10 gauge) cut the alligator clamps off 2 ends, and joined those 2 ends together., to make a double length cable with clamps on either end.

Using the alligator clamps, I clamp the frame of the generator on 1 end and the cold water faucet outside the house.

No muss no fuss. When done I just wrap the cable up and store it with the generator.

All generators have a gounding lug on the unit. You can take a pair of jumper cables and clamp one black leg to the gounding lug and the other to your panel's grounding rod if its close enough. Or the unshielded cable from the panel going to the grounding rod.

If using a properly installed transfer switch it probably does. If you are using extension cords on 120V circuits, there is a gound wire back to the genny but it has no where to go, hence the ground wire on the genny.