chris327

Containers for gas storage

So what does everyone seem to be using for gas storage. I a few plain old gas cans. But wans get a few of the 5 gal metal ones. Anyone use them or know where to order them? Seems like I'm in for a long week our more with no power as theres a tree on my house and power lines

Ive been searching for jerry type cans recently.. I read the reviews on Sportsman's guide cans were pretty shabby. If you want a metal jerry can be prepared to be $50+ a piece per 5 gal can. I know they are not CARB rated unless they have a proper spout, but I wonder if the gas station can turn you down as an unapproved fuel dispensing container.

Link for 4pack NATO design http://www.deutscheoptik.com/product_info.php?products_id=1718

I doubt a gas station will let you pump unless it's in an approved container. Just get a couple of 5 gallon plastic cans from Home Depot. I have 2 of them, and rotate them every 6 months.

i've thought about this for many years.. i believe the best option is to get multiple 5 gallons cans for various reasons:

1) the dange of having 30 gallons in one container.

2) transportation.. do you know how heavy 30 gallons is? its much easier to move 5 gallons.

3) disposal. when your power comes back on its easier to dispurse the smaller cans.

I believe the ulimate set up is about four 5 gallon jugs and buy the siphon THAT WORKS for removing from your gas tank.

Metal fuel jugs rust and leak. For super high quality jugs, you want 5 gallon Scribner fuel jugs:

http://www.stableenergies.com/Scribner-Utility-Jug-5gal-Square/productinfo/FJ5/

They never leak, do very well at long-term storage, pour nicely, and you can stack them together tightly. Everyone who races uses these, but whenever I bring them somewhere to get filled up, the gas jockey tells me how great they are. These are the ultimate in gas storage, my friends.

I tried siphoning gas from my car but it appears both my cars have some sort of baffle inside that prevents this.

This was talked about in another thread. Its because modern vehicles are designed with siphon prevention devices.

Almost comical to see those posting assuring themselves they had 30 gal mobile fuel storage until finding that getting it out was extremely difficult. My friend had mentioned that was a big reason why he only had 1 gas can for the storm. To his dismay hes been out 2-3 times in this mess to fill up his can.

I see it in Costco every once in a while, it's a 14 gallon plastic rolling gas container. It can stand up or lay flat. Wheels on it to make moving it easy, also has a spout like at a gas station. Never really looked into them, but I kept saying to the wife every time I go down that Isle, I want that, I get the usual response, so I don't have one. YET... lol

Some friends down in the southern states that deal with this more frequently have storage for 50 to 100 gallons of gas. They just put some Sea-Foam in it and it's good for about 2 years, but they top off tanks and yard equipment here and there and keep it semi fresh. Starting to look like another good idea to add to the supplies.

That and I'm adding a whole house generator in the next month with an automatic transfer switch. Party at my place next time. ;)

Harry