Tom-NJ2AS

Furnace Transfer Switch

Anyone ever install one? I am thinking of grabbing one if home depot has them to run the furnace tonight. I started getting cold last night. This is what i was looking at

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Reliance-Controls-TF151W/ ...

I am a bit worried as some people said watch how your generator is grounded? I was going to install this right at the furnace, not next to the panel.

Thanks

I see no reason why that shouldn't work.

Don't sweat the ground. Ever been on a job site with generators running? Not a single one of them has a ground rod. 10s of thousands of generators are running in NJ right now...I'll bet not 1 in 1000 even bothered to think about grounding.

I see no reason why that shouldn't work.

Don't sweat the ground. Ever been on a job site with generators running? Not a single one of them has a ground rod. 10s of thousands of generators are running in NJ right now...I'll bet not 1 in 1000 even bothered to think about grounding.

I stopped at my Dad's today to check in on him and my mother. Being an electrical engineer, and a pragmatic one at that, he had run a ground wire for his portable generator. He's 87 and still sharp as a tack.

I am a bit worried as some people said watch how your generator is grounded? I was going to install this right at the furnace, not next to the panel.

Thanks

You never want to have something grounded in two places, the two "grounds" may have different potentials, which will cause a (possibly dangerous) current to flow through the ground wire. If the transfer box is grounded in some way, you don't want to ground the generator.

well. you cannot find the switches anywhere right now. I am going to do the emergency set up i see people do. I am going to take a 12 gauge extension cord and run it from the generator to the furnace. I have a shut off switch at the furnace. i will separate the wires and run cap the wires going back to the sub panel in a temp junction box, and then hard wire one end of the extension cord to the furnace wires in another temporary box. This way there is no chance in hell of back feeding the lines

thanks