Malsua

Obtaining Gasoline

Bought gas again this morning in Jefferson, no wait. The station near my office had fuel and a line all day (probably a 10 -15 minute wait). The Hess in Butler had a wait this evening, but it was only 20 or so cars long instead of the mile + long lines of last week. Still seeing stations that have power but no fuel, it's not panic, there's a shortage.

A friend of mine owns over 50 gas stations in NJ. He normally gets 70 fuel deliveries daily. He told me yesterday that even pulling every string he has, he is fighting to get 3 loads daily. It is absolutely not just panic.

And this is why my father got out of the business years ago. If you don't have a company-owned station you get whatever they are willing to send you. We bought on the black market just to keep the doors open.

It's still going on, and I have personal experience from Morris County, a county previously mentioned. The lines for gasoline are tying up the main roads and overflowing onto the back roads. They also have cops standing around at both open (I am told) and closed (I have seen) gas stations. I saw a guy from Jersey tonight filling up some cans off the beaten path and close to my home. I was filling up my car on the other side of the pump. When he caught my gaze he went pale (literally) and got really scared and started getting sketchy. It was like he thought I was going to rob him or thought I caught him doing something wrong. He did not see my sidearm. I think he might be one of the remaining over there that has no power or is otherwise desperate for gasoline and has been a bit tortured over the past week. It was readily apparent I couldn't say anything to the guy without freaking him out so I tried to make it look like I wasn't paying attention to him.

Hess is the place to go - their refineries are back open and running.  They're running shipments around like crazy.

Where are they getting it from? I heard the news story but I don't think they make gasoline at Port Reading. Please correct me if I am wrong. So I would guess they are bringing it by ship like everybody else.Although, I read HOVENSA was shut down ( :( ) during the past year due to the wrong type of crude available so they may have repruposed the two former gasoline units my friend installed at Port Reading during the 80s.

A friend of mine owns over 50 gas stations in NJ. He normally gets 70 fuel deliveries daily. He told me yesterday that even pulling every string he has, he is fighting to get 3 loads daily. It is absolutely not just panic.

I'd be curious to learn if you friend is "Nick," "Tal," or "Arfa." Those are the guys I've known with that range of private station ownership.

Morris county gas report brought to you by your uncle Joe;

As of 6:30 this morning the following gas stations along side Rt 15 north between Mine hill road and Weldon Road in Jefferson were open and had no lines:

--Exxon station north side on the median right after the intersection of rt15 and Berkshire Valley road. You can also access it from southbound direction.

--Quick check station can be accessed from both directions.

--Shell station south bound.

The following stations were empty but were receiving shipments as I was driving by:

--Woroco station on the intersection of Rt15 and Berkshire valley Rd.

--Last Exxon station on Rt15 north, on the right, before Weldon Road.

Have a nice day.

Not many people in the office today as most chose to work from home due to the forecast snow. Heading into work this morning the Hess on Rt3 in Secaucus was open with a short line, the other gas stations seemed to be closed. Heading home at 1630 all the gas stations in Secaucus appeared to be closed, unsure if due to lack of gas or potential snow or ...

Either way, still appears that while there are no crazy long lines around where I live, there remains a gas distribution issue at the stations.

TheWombat