TheWombat

Gov. Christie signs order to ration gas in 12 N.J. counties

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/sandy_gas_ration_12_counties.html

"Saturday at noon there will be gas rationing for passenger vehicles in 12 counties.

Gov. Chris Christie signed an executive order today instituting gas rationing for the purchase of fuel by motorists in 12 counties.

Calling the fuel supply a "shortage" that could endanger public health, safety and welfare, the rationing will take place in Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Middlesex, Morris, Monmouth, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union and Warren counties.

The order restricts the sale of fuel for use in passenger cars depending upon whether their license ends in an even or odd number, the order said.

Vehicles with license plates ending in odd numbers can only fill up at stations in these counties on odd numbered days of the month, the order said.

All license plates not ending in a number are considered odd, and should fill up on odd numbered days of the month, the order said."

Suggests that in and around this part of NJ the 'fuel shortage' may continue for a few days. Somewhat surprised considering fuel is available within a 60 or so mile radius.

TheWombat

So if your license plate ends in a letter, you have to count A=1,B=2,C=3 and from there you figure out if you are even or odd...I'm guessing?

So now the guy who pumps my gas, that can't even speak English, has to figure out if 'V' is an even or odd numbered letter. Yeah this will work well, won't cause longer lines and more confusion. :facepalm:

It's not the last character in your plate, it's the last number, wherever that falls. So if your plate is A11-AAA, you're odd, but if it's A22-AAA, you're even.

At least that's how I understand it. NJ.com clarified it on twitter a short time ago.

Read the article linked from the op. It explains all circumstances listed here.

" All license plates not displaying a number,such as vanity plates,are considered odd,and should fill up on odd numbered days of the month,the order said."

' Vehicles with license plates,the last number of which is an odd number, can only fill up at stations in these counties on odd-numbered days of the month,the order said."

So I can't walk to the gas station to fill my red can? I have to drive, which uses more gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A reporter from the Star Ledger tweeted about 45 minutes ago that the odd/even rationing does not apply to cans/canisters. I guess you can go fill those up as you please. Also, the odd/even rules do not go into effect until noon tomorrow, so I suppose you can try to get gas in the morning no matter what your odd/even situation is.

I don't think this restriction will make any difference at all. Most drivers use much less than a full tank of gas daily, and have some flexibility when deciding when to fill up their cars. On a normal day, x number of people buy gas with odd lcense plates, and x number of people buy gas with even license plates. After this regulation goes into effect, there will be 2x purchases with odd license plates on odd-numbered days, and 2x purchases with even license plates on even numbered days...