TheWombat

Gov. Christie signs order to ration gas in 12 N.J. counties

Here is one way to solve the problem. About 40% of NJ gas stations are functioning according to AAA. I was in line at a station that fully expected to opn this morning at 6. I got in the line at 4:10 which put around number 25 in line. At 5:22 the owner walked the line and told everyone the truck didn't come last night as scheduled. With lost distribution capacity why doesn't the governor help make sure that the available distribution points have supply.

Just venting as its Saturday and I could be sleeping instead.

Funny how our president reminds me of Jimmy Carter.

Why do you think Christie put rationing into effect 4 days prior to the election. The man is is politically savvy. He wants people to remember what it was like so they will vote accordingly. Smart move.

Long lines remain at the gas stations around Secaucus, Lyndhurst still. Some people waiting since 4am this morning.

Luckily we're ok and can manage without the car, if the gas shortage situation around here remains by Thursday then I'll take a trip south or west and fill up. However I believe if the situation isn't resolved in the next couple of days then we'll be seeing much more frustration boiling over with the public.

TheWombat

Come on down to Gloucester county, plenty of gas! We've been supporting you guys for years with little to no benefits from all the taxes, so might as well sell some gas to all you guys up north!

How is this gas rationing? You can buy all the gas you want; just on a scheduled day. All this does is even out the lines. True rationing is when they tell you that you can have only a certain amount of gasoline. When will they do that?

I'm sure Im not the only one who did this on her but, I live in Morris County and drove about 25-30 min right over the PA border to and there are gas stations of RT 80 at exit 308/306/305 and either you wont have to wait or it will be minimal, I waited like 10 minutes last night, If you are in the same situation It is well worth the drive to not have to wait 3-4 hrs. Rt10 Randolph area and rt206 flanders area gas stations have ENORMOUS lines,so do yourself a favor and make the trip over the border if your within 30-40 min of PA

Why do you think Christie put rationing into effect 4 days prior to the election. The man is is politically savvy. He wants people to remember what it was like so they will vote accordingly. Smart move.

Christie is a smart guy, I'll give him that (not like this is affecting my vote since I obviously know who I was voting for way before all this).. but I'm sure its making some people think ;)

Gas stations need to meet certain requirements with tanks, pumps, etc....

Why not make auxiliary power part of that requirement? The problem isn't fuel shortage, it's stations that can't pump because of electric power shortage.

Stations have gas but don't have means to distribute it.

Lessons we need to learn for the future.

Come on down to Gloucester county, plenty of gas! We've been supporting you guys for years with little to no benefits from all the taxes, so might as well sell some gas to all you guys up north!

Thanks for the information,

But you re not really right on the benefits :)

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/10/nj_revenue_analysis_shows_rich.html

About 30%-40% of the cars were being told to leave the line at the Exxon on Rt3 West in Secaucus by the LEOs due to having EVEN number license plates. Overall no major dramas that I saw and most people left the line with just a 10-30 second discussion with the LEO/

TheWombat

Why not make auxiliary power part of that requirement? The problem isn't fuel shortage, it's stations that can't pump because of electric power shortage.

No doubt. Lack of NJ UST licensing regulations must be the source of the issue.

Absolutely right...we can learn from Florida who knows a thing or two about mother natures fury..i believe they require gas stations to have a backup power source along frequently hit areas and evacuation routes

Took my moms Prius up to Greenwhich ct. This morning. They had lines up there and we were the only nj plates. Filled up a couple 5 gal cans after a 15min wait. Luckily it's only about 30 mins from my house. What a pita. Still no power here and no utility crews in sight. We live on a county road out of 2 in my town. I just can't believe the lack of response. Orange and rockland can suck a fat one.

I'm sure Im not the only one who did this on her but, I live in Morris County and drove about 25-30 min right over the PA border to and there are gas stations of RT 80 at exit 308/306/305 and either you wont have to wait or it will be minimal, I waited like 10 minutes last night, If you are in the same situation It is well worth the drive to not have to wait 3-4 hrs. Rt10 Randolph area and rt206 flanders area gas stations have ENORMOUS lines,so do yourself a favor and make the trip over the border if your within 30-40 min of PA

Same here. I've been to Stroudsburg twice this week. I'd rather drive 70 minutes than wait in line 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet all those Prius owners are laughing now.

I saw one sitting in line for gas two days ago. Even they need gas eventually, better with a volt because you can recharge without gas after 40 or so miles, not bad.

I may tell my wife she is getting one of these: http://www.teslamotors.com/models

It one Car & Driver car of the year and it looks nice too.

That would be bad. Has it had problems? I haven't heard any. I drive to Manhattan everyday and there's a guy with the Tesla roadster that I see quite a bit and his plate says NOPEC.