jrfly3006

Securing a generator

My generator is inside a custom built (I built it with 2x4's, plywood and painted the plywood) ventilated box mounted on concrete blocks on a raised rock bed with a padlock latch - uncuttable keyed padlock and then also chained to my decks corner post (it sits under my back deck). Goal is it will take a good 10-15 minutes to try to get it out and by that time, hopefully a neighbor sees if I'm not home, and if I am home, I'll be on my back deck with my shotty and hopefully keeping him from running till the police show up.

my neighbor hauled his up to his kids tree house. i am not sure how but i was laughing like hell when i saw where it is. i am also not sure how the tree house survived. i do have to chuckel when i see him ropeing up fule to it though.

I'm in the process of making my own generator/battery charger using the parts and advice from this website.

http://theepicenter.com/tow082099.html

If something looks cobbled together and makeshift nobody's going to want to steal it anyhow - they won't even know what it is. Requires brains to operate. Generator security through obscurity.

A side shaft engine, a board to mount it on, a metal plate, an alternator, a deep cycle battery and a power inverter is going to cost as much as a good generator in the long run, and at least you have modular parts you can swap out, repair, replace as needed. Plus a battery or two to power things through the night without the generator running and attracting attention.

Stored in my detached garage, locked to a chain on a 1" round steel eye bolt through a triple stud, with the threads on the bolt peened (dreformed the threads) so it CANNOT be unconnected (I don't care how big a wrench you have!). When I use the generator (such as last week) I take it out onto a roofed over porch off the garage and use the same chain and lock around a full 6"X 6" wood column.

The only way to get it would cause enough noise that I then revert to the tools for which I belong to this site. I couldn't miss with any of my firearms from a distance of just about 60 feet.

As everyone knows canines are immune to CO poisoning, but how do you refuel it when after 7h the dog has been driven insane by the noise?

PS: before anyone does anything stupid, that is obviously a joke, your pooch is not immune to CO

I went with a 35 foot chain and a dogloo myself. Rufus seems to be enjoying himself out there.

If you make any attempt to chain it people will generally look for an easier target. I have been telling people to chain it to their car rim or hitch on the trcuk if they have nothing better. The people that still trust their fellow man to leave thing alone that dont belong to them are the ones getting their generators stolen.

One thing Ive learned from this storm is that people suck bad. I have lost a lot of faith in my fellow man around here in the last few days. I wasnt really a trusting individual to start with either.

Ken

Mine is secured but it is just a temporary deterrent. There is an electrical outlet to hook up a reciprocating saw, and noise to mask the sound of the saw. Drive up in a contractors F250 or E350 van and not many people would pay much attention

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk