brizbane

Help Me Choose the Perfect .45ACP Handgun

This topic was likely discussed a lot already, but I have some parameters that are important.

I recently got a Glock19 Gen4 that I really like and, by the way, this was my very first plastic gun in 30 years. I am very impressed by the lack of asthetics, no frills, just a plain working piece of machinery.

So, now that I have the 9mm Glock it is logical that I need one in .45 too. But as I was getting ready to order the Glock from Davidson's, I paused and decided to check into some of the other plastic .45s.

Of the top makers, (FNH, SW, XDM, Ruger,etc) does anyone have strong likes or dislikes about these? Comparisons to Glocks? Triggers? Reliability?

Any and all feedback, even if minor points, will be appreciated. Thanks.

I love my xdm .45 but if I had to get one ideal .45 it would be a 1911

pretty much same boat as this. I have an xd45 that I like (and will probably like much more once my trigger kit comes in) but I enjoy shooting my 1911 more.

I just recently agreed to purchase a FNP-45 from another forum member but can't pick it up until december thanks to our fabulous OGAM law lol. Will report back once I am able to shoot it.

I own a Springfield XDM 45 cal and love it , great trigger pull good weight and balance and just plain feels good in my hands , go to a shop and grip a few and see what feels best in your hands ...... good luck .

I have a couple 1911s and absolutely love 'em. Been my primary carry exclusively for a number of years,too.

But, lately have decided that hi capacity and no safety are important. Safety is one less thing to worry about should problem arise and quicker into action, even if fractional.

The FNH and XDM both look real nice.

Both have safties. M&P and Glock do not. M&P 10rds, Glock 13rds. Glock trigger is also much better. No need to do anything to the Glock , as everyone will recommend the apex for the M&P.

I have a G21 Gen4. I am going to Cherry Ridge early am Friday. If you want to give it a run your welcome to, just supply your own ammo.

Both have safties. M&P and Glock do not. M&P 10rds, Glock 13rds. Glock trigger is also much better. No need to do anything to the Glock , as everyone will recommend the apex for the M&P.

I have a G21 Gen4. I am going to Cherry Ridge early am Friday. If you want to give it a run your welcome to, just supply your own ammo.

The XD/XDM have a trigger safety, much like the Glock. They also have the grip safety, much like the 1911 the OP is used to. Saying the Glock trigger is much better is very subjective. I personally feel that the Glock trigger is the worst of the bunch being suggested here.

The XD/XDM have a trigger safety, much like the Glock. They also have the grip safety, much like the 1911 the OP is used to. Saying the Glock trigger is much better is very subjective. I personally feel that the Glock trigger is the worst of the bunch being suggested here.

Go re-read. He doesn't want a safety so that leaves Glock and M&P. Out of those 2 Glock has a better stock trigger, as I had an M&P also. And I have yet to meet someone who has not recommended the apex trigger for the M&P. That being said, you can modify the Glock trigger to your liking.

Go re-read. He doesn't want a safety so that leaves Glock and M&P. Out of those 2 Glock has a better stock trigger, as I had an M&P also. And I have yet to meet someone who has not recommended the apex trigger for the M&P. That being said, you can modify the Glock trigger to your liking.

The Glock and XD have an almost identical trigger safety.

And again, which one has the best trigger is personal preference.

Doesn't the XD have a grip safety?

Yes, as I already stated.

Nice of you to offer but still in the dark here, typing on generator. Maybe later though.

Some good input so far. I did not know that most have safeties, which will disqualify them from my selection.

So down to Glock and M&P...............got to go Glock - 13+1 rounds is hard to beat.

AND you can get +2 extensions for your Glock mags, making them 15+1, as if you might need that much.....