Sign in to follow this  
Blake

COE for out of state rifle purchase?

All out of state purchases must go through FFL.Pistol has to go through nj FFL. Long gun can go threw the state of purchase FFL

Yes I realize that but what I would like to know is whether I need to get a copy of a NJ COE.

For instance - In a state like Vermont or New Hampshire, all you need is a valid id and a NICS check to get a long gun. If I walk into a Vermont FFL and they run my NICS according to them I am good to go, but do I still have them fill out a NJ COE for me?

So if i buy a long gun in a gun store in another state, do I need a copy of an NJ COE?

I think the FFLs here will tell you yes. The out-of-state dealer may not know what to do it, and THEY don't require it, but if NJ ever wants to know where and when you got that gun, having the COE would be helpful.

So if i buy a long gun in a gun store in another state, do I need a copy of an NJ COE?

Not really. Take a few copies and tell the dealer that NJ law says you have to fill one out. If they laugh at you or throw it in the trash, just walk away with your long gun.

Not really. Take a few copies and tell the dealer that NJ law says you have to fill one out. If they laugh at you or throw it in the trash, just walk away with your long gun.

This.... Cabelas in PA does the COE's, other places not so much.

If a gun was purchased out of state (otherwise properly, through a dealer) without a COE, has that ever come back and been a problem for any NJ resident? And while we are talking about it, if you buy a gun either in NJ or out of state, how long are you supposed to keep the COE for? I don't think I have seen in any of the laws a requirement that you keep it (though prudent judgement would dictate that you do).

For instance - In a state like Vermont or New Hampshire, all you need is a valid id and a NICS check to get a long gun. If I walk into a Vermont FFL and they run my NICS according to them I am good to go, but do I still have them fill out a NJ COE for me?

Aren't you supposed to have an FID to purchase a long gun even in another state? I know the dealers in PA ask to see them, but do dealers in all 50 states even know about them?

At Cabelas in Maine, they checked FID and even did the COE, they were on top of it.

Same with PA.

Bring the COE with you.

When I bought 2 guns in PA.... and they told NICS I was from NJ, NICS asked if I had a NJ FID. So Yes.

If a gun was purchased out of state (otherwise properly, through a dealer) without a COE, has that ever come back and been a problem for any NJ resident? And while we are talking about it, if you buy a gun either in NJ or out of state, how long are you supposed to keep the COE for? I don't think I have seen in any of the laws a requirement that you keep it (though prudent judgement would dictate that you do).

Aren't you supposed to have an FID to purchase a long gun even in another state? I know the dealers in PA ask to see them, but do dealers in all 50 states even know about them?

I've never seen a law in NJ that says you must keep your COE copies. In PA, many dealers do the COE's (for NJ residents), probably because I've heard the PASP has told dealers that they need to, in NY, I've never seen a dealer issue one, I guess the NYSP doesn't care about it. The biggest issue for not doing them would be for the dealer, because they are required to follow all regulations of both states, but I don't think the ATF really cares about NJ COE's.

FID cards on the other hand, always seem to be required.

I've never seen a law in NJ that says you must keep your COE copies. In PA, many dealers do the COE's (for NJ residents), probably because I've heard the PASP has told dealers that they need to, in NY, I've never seen a dealer issue one, I guess the NYSP doesn't care about it. The biggest issue for not doing them would be for the dealer, because they are required to follow all regulations of both states, but I don't think the ATF really cares about NJ COE's.

FID cards on the other hand, always seem to be required.

I agree, I have never seen them used in New York. But, I would be curious to see the process at the new Dick's by me, not that I'd buy anything there. They opened a store this September right next to the Palisades Mall just off the Thruway.

http://www.dicksspor...pen/West-Nyack/

I'll find out what Ohio says next weekend... going to visit mom and picking up a 10/22.

What part of Ohio? If it is Southwest Ohio

If it was this weekend, they have a gun show in Sharonville OH.

http://www.gunshow.net/sharonville-new.htm

http://www.patriotgunshow.com/ Monroe Ohio every Saturday.

Or

Take a ride over to Bud's Guns in Lexington KY, this is their retail store

http://www.thegunwarehouse.com/

Or not........ Ohio has a contiguous states rule, you can't buy ANY firearms there (as a NJ resident).

Never heard that. If that be the case, my sister will buy it for me. 220, 221...whatever it takes.

Just called my sister. Wal-Mart has a map of states who can buy guns from them (in Ohio)- NJ is on the list, she checked for me (she's the optometrist there). [since wal-mart moved into my hometown, there is no private gun dealer there anymore. WM is the only game in town.]

Never heard that. If that be the case, my sister will buy it for me. 220, 221...whatever it takes.

Just called my sister. Wal-Mart has a map of states who can buy guns from them (in Ohio)- NJ is on the list, she checked for me (she's the optometrist there). [since wal-mart moved into my hometown, there is no private gun dealer there anymore. WM is the only game in town.]

Unless the law has changed recently, Walmart is wrong. I wanted to buy a rifle there last year at a gunshow and the dealer told me he couldn't because of Ohio law. If your sister buys the rifle, she will need to have it shipped to a NJ FFL (or any other state's FFL without a contiguous states rule). You may be better of trying to buy in WV(which I don't believe has a contiguous states rule) or PA.

Click on the READ ALL link under purchase.

http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/ohio.aspx

Unless the law has changed recently, Walmart is wrong. I wanted to buy a rifle there last year at a gunshow and the dealer told me he couldn't because of Ohio law. If your sister buys the rifle, she will need to have it shipped to a NJ FFL (or any other state's FFL without a contiguous states rule). You may be better of trying to buy in WV(which I don't believe has a contiguous states rule) or PA.

Click on the READ ALL link under purchase.

http://www.nraila.or...-laws/ohio.aspx

I don't care if WM is wrong- not my problem.

The "only able to purchase in contiguous states" was part of the 1968 GCA. This was amended in 1986 to allow purchases in non-contiguous states. Here is what the BATFE has to say (from their website...

ATF does not read State laws that refer to “contiguous states” as prohibiting sales of long guns to residents of noncontiguous states unless the language contained in that State’s law expressly prohibits residents from acquiring firearms outside that State. Thus, if the language in the State laws authorizes sales of long guns to residents of contiguous states, that State law also authorizes the sale of long guns to residents of all other states.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

There were states that you could NOT buy from, Florida was one of them. Which surprised me, as FL is a pretty gun-friendly state, and I'm guessing it's FL's law, not Ohio's, that stops FL residents from buying in Ohio? (after reading Bob's post)

The "only able to purchase in contiguous states" was part of the 1968 GCA. This was amended in 1986 to allow purchases in non-contiguous states. Here is what the BATFE has to say (from their website...

ATF does not read State laws that refer to “contiguous states” as prohibiting sales of long guns to residents of noncontiguous states unless the language contained in that State’s law expressly prohibits residents from acquiring firearms outside that State. Thus, if the language in the State laws authorizes sales of long guns to residents of contiguous states, that State law also authorizes the sale of long guns to residents of all other states.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I don't think the issue with a contiguous states law would an issue for a dealer with the ATF, but rather with the SP in the state that does not allow it (just like an FFL in NJ couldn't sell air guns to people who don't have an FID card - the issue would be the NJSP yanking their state license).

Unless Ohio recently changed their law, Wally World violated Ohio law.

I don't think the issue with a contiguous states law would an issue for a dealer with the ATF, but rather with the SP in the state that does not allow it (just like an FFL in NJ couldn't sell air guns to people who don't have an FID card - the issue would be the NJSP yanking their state license).

Unless Ohio recently changed their law, Wally World violated Ohio law.

I'm quite sure Walmart can afford enough legal counsel that that is NOT the case. They aren't going to risk a lawsuit. It's not a willy-nilly decision on their part, they have a map, in the gun dept, provided by WM, showing what states they can and can't sell to, as I said- there are a few, FL being one, but NJ is A-OK.

And I'm sure I'm not the first non-contiguous-state resident to have purchased from WM. If they were violating law, the OH attorney general would be on it.