Texan

Public school influence on gun control

I can't believe the day after the election, my son brought this home. Its time to go talk to the school. No other issues were covered, gay marriage, abortion, healthcare, as they shouldn't be. My son is in the 1st grade. This is unbelievable.

post-4855-0-81698100-1352325463_thumb.jpg

the teacher and principal would get the wrath and believe me, you have much more power than you realize. The law mandates what they can teach and the guidelines as to how far they can stray. I'd go absolutely nuts threatening to go the school board, call the mayor and more. I guarantee you that school would listen.

holy $hit, the mayor is my neighbor and I'd be banging on the door

Wait- your kid drew that, right? Did he tell you he was coerced to put the no guns/save nature message in there? It's a blank space... "pass a law that _________" It's fill-in-the-blank?

Pass a law that ..... the cafeteria would always serve pizza...

If the teacher TOLD HIM to put that down, holy hell would rain.

I'm looking forward to the day that my daughter (now almost 2) can shoot a gun with me after school and go tell all over her friends the next day at school how cool it was. And the second a teacher, principal or administrator says anything negative about it I'm going to raise hell.

I can't believe the day after the election, my son brought this home. Its time to go talk to the school. No other issues were covered, gay marriage, abortion, healthcare, as they shouldn't be. My son is in the 1st grade. This is unbelievable.

You're in TEXAS and YOUR KID is 6 years old and he doesn't yet have his own rifle??

My Kid was made a NRA Life Member at age 5, and he would have told the teacher he has a nice time with me (his Dad) and our (read HIS) guns!

BUY that Kid a rifle and he won't want to draw these kid of images!

Am I the only one who reads it this way??

Dave

You're in TEXAS and YOUR KID is 6 years old and he doesn't yet have his own rifle??

My Kid was made a NRA Life Member at age 5, and he would have told the teacher he has a nice time with me (his Dad) and our (read HIS) guns!

BUY that Kid a rifle and he won't want to draw these kid of images!

Am I the only one who reads it this way??

Dave

From Texas and for all practical purposes my residency is in Texas. My son attends a public school in central NJ. He has a 10/22 he loves. He's new to the school this year and is a very well behaved boy. I'm sure he is try to get along with people as we haven't taught him to be confrontational yet. I'm sure he'll figure things out as he gets older.

Wait- your kid drew that, right? Did he tell you he was coerced to put the no guns/save nature message in there? It's a blank space... "pass a law that _________" It's fill-in-the-blank?

Pass a law that ..... the cafeteria would always serve pizza...

If the teacher TOLD HIM to put that down, holy hell would rain.

These are the important questions, aren't they? Was the kid told to write/draw that or not?

From Texas and for all practical purposes my residency is in Texas. My son attends a public school in central NJ. He has a 10/22 he loves. He's new to the school this year and is a very well behaved boy. I'm sure he is try to get along with people as we haven't taught him to be confrontational yet. I'm sure he'll figure things out as he gets older.

O-K, that makes sense. I was going from the info you supplied in your avatar.......sorry, I thought you lived in Texas! Maybe update your avatar and join a range?? Or be guested into one--like mine! Or just show-up and pay the non-member fee to shoot ANY of our regular Leagues: Bullseye, Indoor Action, PPC, Small Bore, USPSA, Shotgun, High Power, Static Steel, Indoor Frangible Steel, etc., etc. NO need to be "an outsider".......

Welcome to the PRNJ....

Dave

Wow! I hope you do something about that!! I highly doubt they foresee a reaction from that with a parent so they think they can get away with brainwashing children young. ABSURD!!

Makes me angry seeing that.

There have been stories here (and elsewhere on other gun forums) about a time when schools had "Rod and Gun" clubs, some kids would have their rifles with them in order to target shoot after school or on the way home. I have seen stories of someone bringing his rifle to the school's wood shop in order to redo the stock. I have seen other stories where they bring their rifles to school in order to go hunting after. At one time this was perfectly normal and accepted as a rite of passage toward adulthood and responsibility. This wasn't all that long ago, some of us remember it ourselves or remember hearing it from our older siblings.

You can use these points and facts and bring it up to the teacher, principal and any others involved. Maybe if someone has any old school programs, pamphlets or yearbooks that showed 'rod and gun clubs', 'shooting matches' after class, 'firearm safety and training', it would go a long way to help illustrate and bring home some points.

Perhaps these days, teachers and maybe even principals have no clue that firearms were once considered a part of the school curriculum. You pay their salary through taxes, let them know how you feel. Good Luck

These are the important questions, aren't they? Was the kid told to write/draw that or not?

Can't stress how much i agree with the above poster... Did your kid draw those pictures himself or was he told to? If he drew them himself, it would kind of be ridiculous to go running in and huffing and puffing about something HE decided to draw HIMSELF. If THEY (i.e. the teachers) made it (anti-gun rhetoric) a topic of discussion in class, then that is a completely different story and i would go ape-shit.

So, what is it?

Can't stress how much i agree with the above poster... Did your kid draw those pictures himself or was he told to? If he drew them himself, it would kind of be ridiculous to go running in and huffing and puffing about something HE decided to draw HIMSELF. If THEY (i.e. the teachers) made it (anti-gun rhetoric) a topic of discussion in class, then that is a completely different story and i would go ape-shit.

So, what is it?

Yeah, though, don't let logic and facts get in the way of some righteous recreational outrage. Rock on!!

Seriously guys!? SERIOUSLY!?

Before we get all "MAH CHILD DUN NEED NO SKOOL TO TELL HIM GUNZ R BAD!" we need to know whether it was written by their own prerogative or if it was coerced.

To put it lightly, whoever goes charging into the principal's office having a hissy fit because their son/daughter wrote something by their own free will, is an idiot.

If the teacher told them to write it then fine. You have a right to complain. But based on the information provided, there is no reason to make this an issue. I ask the OP to please provide more comprehensive context.

Seriously guys!? SERIOUSLY!?

Before we get all "MAH CHILD DUN NEED NO SKOOL TO TELL HIM GUNZ R BAD!" we need to know whether it was written by their own prerogative or if it was coerced.

To put it lightly, whoever goes charging into the principal's office having a hissy fit because their son/daughter wrote something by their own free will, is an idiot.

If the teacher told them to write it then fine. You have a right to complain. But based on the information provided, there is no reason to make this an issue. I ask the OP to please provide more comprehensive context.

Exactly what i said... OP?

I'm surprised anyone cares this much... the OP hasn't checked back in, and it's no secret the schools have been anti-gun for decades. Hell, when I was in 5th grade (30+ years ago) my teacher wouldn't let me do a book report on a war book.

The more I read about the public school system, the more I think I'd homeschool my kids (if I had any).

Maybe the kid just has a precocious sense of humor.

Teacher: "Oh, this is wonderful, you've done a very good job."

Kid: "So you weawy wike it?"

Teacher: "Oh yes, I find it very warm and comforting."

Kid: "Then stick it someplace dark and smelly and ride it straight to Hell! Ha Ha Ha!"

Maybe the kid just has a precocious sense of humor.

Teacher: "Oh, this is wonderful, you've done a very good job."

Kid: "So you weawy wike it?"

Teacher: "Oh yes, I find it very warm and comforting."

Kid: "Then stick it someplace dark and smelly and ride it straight to Hell! Ha Ha Ha!"

Now THAT would be brilliant... give 'em what they want, get the "A", then go home and shoot your 10/22!!

if more people demanded the teachers stick to reading, writing, and arithmetic, this wouldn't be an issue. On my son's first day of school in a new system I met the principal and made it clear that my wife and I care what he's exposed too. I have no problem filling his day with my fist up his a$$ if it's not what it's supposed to be.

Fortunately for me, we live in one of 2 rep counties in the states

I'm surprised anyone cares this much... the OP hasn't checked back in, and it's no secret the schools have been anti-gun for decades.

Yep. Thanks to one of the forums favorite people, Eric Holder. Here he states quite blatantly to brainwash kids into thinking guns are bad. And by blatantly, I mean literally.

"I've also asked the school board to make a part of every day an anti-gun message. Every day, every school at every level..and really brainwash people..."

So still no answer from the OP about this huh? Im curious as well and would be upset, but if his kid decided to do it on his own then i put the onus on the OP. My daughter is 5, in kindergarten and im also really curious as to what she would write. I doubt it would be no guns tho since she loves looking at them, holding them, watching me clean and learning about them.

Im going to make an assumption here and say that the teacher presented the students with a selection of different topics and the students picked from the "list". Most kids that age need a little directive with a "complicated" open ended question like that.

Sorry to keep everyone hanging. I had to make arrangements to talk with all parties involved before further rattling the cage.

Ok be pissed at me. After some conversations with the teacher and counselor it seems that he was not encouraged or directed to draw this picture. Or so they said. When asked if he drew this or if the teacher told him to draw it, he said the teacher. Which he may of refered to drawing anything. After further questioning my son and reassuring him that he was not in trouble, but to just tell the truth, he said he drew it. He said it was a law to not shoot people. This would make sense because when we shoot or talk about firearms, I have always stressed, never point a gun at a person or shoot at people. 1 of 3 I could see being true.

1. The teacher directed him or gave him a choice of listed items.

2. He followed or saw another kid write the same thing.

3. Or being the responsible and kind hearted kid he is - he remembered of everything else, don't shoot at people.

Sorry, for the possible jump to a conclusion. Day after the election was a bad day for me all the way around, and lots of bad stuff happened that day, so I may have jumped the gun so to speak.

I am sorry to those that may have been rattled by this as I was, and encourage those that kept their cool till all the facts came in, to help the rest of us keep searching for answers before jumping to conclusions.

you would think jesus would've upgraded on up to a M16 or something instead of that lever...

Agreed - however for his time, he was way ahead of the curve with a lever - just like Jesus, beleive in the best of people but dam well be prepared for the worst.