Bully

Carrying Concealed Without a Permit-What Happens?

So, long story short, HPs are illegal... sometimes... yet another grey area no one knows the answer to.

I'll keep them in my home defense pistol, prosecutor can kiss my ass.

If NJ didn't want HPs to be legal, they would institute a state-wide BAN on them, you'd have to be LEO to buy, and that would be the end of it. But they haven't.

So if you carry without a permit you automatically go to jail?

....you guys are off base.  That only happens if you get caught.

It also happens if you use it.Think long and hard about illegally carrying a weapon that you may be hesitant to use. Like with any combat scenario, make sure you have evaluated all the potential consequences and picked your bright lines and responses before you get into the situation. You are going to jail for several years so make sure you have practiced in your mind how you are going to handle different situations with that in mind.

So, long story short, HPs are illegal... sometimes... yet another grey area no one knows the answer to.

If NJ didn't want HPs to be legal, they would institute a state-wide BAN on them, you'd have to be LEO to buy, and that would be the end of it. But they haven't.

It's not a grey area. Why do people make this so complicated. Hollow points can be purchased and transported to your home where they are exempt.

Period. End of story. Nothing more nothing less. Buy hp ammo load it up. The fudd is a prosecutor going to say? You used legal ammo to shoot an intruder? Why do you need permission to do this I ask?

The exemption doesn't say you can shoot someone with it. It just says you can possess in your home at at the store or range. If you did the prosecutor will have a field day with you.

Show me what nj says you can use to shoot an intruder with.... This is backwards thinking. They don't outright ban the use of hollow points, as pointed out. They regulate ownership. It doesn't say it's illegal to use hollow points. Where they would then need to add in exemption for legal use.

Incorrect the answer has been posted here Ad Nauseum. You can buy them, You can transport them home and possess them in your home. You can transport them to where you are shooting and back, you CANNOT possess them ust wandering around. Is it Stupid? yeah, but it is what it is.

Quoting from a shoe that is entirely fictional about what is or isnt Legal is rather silly, don't you think???

UH it was ment to be silly that is why it says LOL after it. I guess you couldent tell it was a little joke sorry i will try to make it more clear next time.

Its very misleading to say Hollowpoints are illegal, they are only illegal if you're using them to do something else illegal or while doing something else illegl.

If you're using them to reduce he size of your wallat at the shooting range or for home defense etc. or in your huntin weapons, go ahead.. just dont do illegal stuff and get the add-ob charge.

Its very misleading to say Hollowpoints are illegal, they are only illegal if you're using them to do something else illegal or while doing something else illegl.

Not true. They are illegal unless one falls under one of the exemptions.

People often say that there are no dumb questions, but I think most would make an exception for this one. (Sorry OP, no offense.) Hollow point issues aside, there are only three possible outcomes from carrying concealed without a permit that I can think of, none of them good:

1) Your best case: You carry for years, don't get caught, and don't need to use your weapon to defend yourself. You have not gained anything, but have needlessly risked prison time and your right to own firearms.

2) Your next best case: You use your weapon to save your life from a violent attacker. At least you're still alive, but you will most likely still serve prison time and lose your right to own firearms.

3) Your worst case: You don't need to defend yourself with your weapon, but you get caught carrying illegally. You're going to jail with nothing gained.

Not true. They are illegal unless one falls under one of the exemptions.

So therefore everything not compulsory is forbidden and everything not forbidden is compulsory .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totalitarian_principle

and then you can add in the intent to commit a crime or lackthereof,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_rea

I am not going to argue but I think it's extremely misleading to say "it's illegal unless you fall under the exceptions" , when by definition the exceptions would be, you know , actually... Using them legally. I'm not a lawyer, I gave up law school to study what I actually loved not what I grew up in, but I can read statutes as much as the next guy. i don't really care about the wording to be honest because I know i don't do and/or won't do anything illegal firearms related because the penalty is quite severe, taking everything else out of the equation, arrest/jail/prison/trial/fines/lawyers/judges/etc. you are at least most likely losing your gun rights forever, which to me is one of the worst things inherent.

What I think the OP was hoping to hear was this,

But I don't think anyone is going to give him that answer, regardless.

If you're using them to reduce he size of your wallat at the shooting range or for home defense etc. or in your huntin weapons, go ahead.. just dont do illegal stuff and get the add-ob charge.

If you own a shore house and you transport your unloaded handgun and a box of hollowpoints in your trunk from one residence to another, you are legally in possession of the handgun, by exception (2C:39-6e), and you are illegally in possession of the hollowpoints because only the exceptions in 2C:39-3g and 2C:39-6f apply to hollowpoints, which do not include travel between residences. That is one example of a normally lawful activity where, if you are in possession of hollowpoints, you are committing a crime.

Incorrect the answer has been posted here Ad Nauseum. You can buy them, You can transport them home and possess them in your home. You can transport them to where you are shooting and back, you CANNOT possess them ust wandering around. Is it Stupid? yeah, but it is what it is.

Where in the statute does it say you can transport hollow point ammo to and from the range? I ask because I didn't see any provision for that in the earlier quoted statutes and now am concerned. Based on the statutes here you can buy it, bring it home and then it never leaves the house again even if you move and you can't transport it to the range either. Am I missing something?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

So therefore everything not compulsory is forbidden and everything not forbidden is compulsory .

http://en.wikipedia....arian_principle

Except in this case it is explicitly forbidden.

Dum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets. (1) Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet, or (2) ..., is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

Where in the statute does it say you can transport hollow point ammo to and from the range? I ask because I didn't see any provision for that in the earlier quoted statutes and now am concerned. Based on the statutes here you can buy it, bring it home and then it never leaves the house again even if you move and you can't transport it to the range either. Am I missing something?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

tab.gif(1)tab.gifA member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

tab.gif(2)tab.gifA person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;

tab.gif(3)tab.gifA person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

tab.gif(a)tab.gifDirectly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

tab.gif(b)tab.gifDirectly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

( c ) In the case of a firearm, directly to or from any exhibition or display of firearms which is sponsored by any law enforcement agency, any rifle or pistol club, or any firearms collectors club, for the purpose of displaying the firearms to the public or to the members of the organization or club, provided, however, that not less than 30 days prior to the exhibition or display, notice of the exhibition or display shall be given to the Superintendent of the State Police by the sponsoring organization or club, and the sponsor has complied with such reasonable safety regulations as the superintendent may promulgate. Any firearms transported pursuant to this section shall be transported in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

(4) A person from keeping or carrying about a private or commercial aircraft or any boat, or from transporting to or from such vessel for the purpose of installation or repair a visual distress signaling device approved by the United States Coast Guard.

I am no expert. But I thought the statue was that you are allowed to transport to and from the range without stopping. And you were allowed to transfer between residences.

2C:39-6 f is above, it does not allow for transportation between residences and/or businesses. Transporting hollowpoints outside of 2C:39-6 f is covered under 2C:39-3 g (2) a

(2) a. Nothing in subsection f. (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land, nor shall subsection f. (1) be construed to prevent any licensed retail or wholesale firearms dealer from possessing such ammunition at its licensed premises, provided that the seller of any such ammunition shall maintain a record of the name, age and place of residence of any purchaser who is not a licensed dealer, together with the date of sale and quantity of ammunition sold.

As always, not legal advice.

No, you would go to jail. And you would never be able to own any weapon every again.

if it's a first offense, no, you wouldnt go to jail..you would probably get 3-5 years of probation, and hefty fines, but no actual "Jail" time. but you are correct in that you would, as a convicted Felon lose your 2A rights forever.

if it's a first offense, no, you wouldnt go to jail..you would probably get 3-5 years of probation, and hefty fines, but no actual "Jail" time. but you are correct in that you would, as a convicted Felon lose your 2A rights forever.

Possession of a weapon without a carry permit is a second degree crime. There is a presumption of jail with 1st and 2nd degree crimes in NJ. You don't get probation, you go to jail.