Scrap

New Remington 700 AAC-SD !!!

So I finally bought me my Super Scrappy Sniper System, on the Day After election day no less!!!

I had been looking for a bolt-action tactical rifle in the 'sniper rifle' style for some time. I have grown up with firearms and family guns/ friends guns my entire life, lucky as cops kid you have the ability to shoot before a lot of other people do... so I didn't need to buy them right away and when I went to college my friends/brothers/etc. of western Pennsylvania have hunting and shooting in their blood and family ties... I didn't need to buy a gun/rifle/etc. to shoot.

When I finally got my paperwork to buy my own and start my collection portfolio I was sure a sniper rifle would be my first purchase... I had ALWAYS wanted a Remington 700 as that was the military snipers used and when I read how the Army M24 SWS and the Marine Corps M40 were Remington 700 .308 rifles, I was hooked. Dicks Sporting Goods had Remington 700s for sale and at the time, there was an ideal gun for me, the Remington 700 SPS Varmint, ... Combo package,. 3-9x40mm scope and 26" bbl in OD Green stock ...for $499.99 I thought it was IDEAL!!!! A lot of people online (Glock Talk etc.) talked me out of it. My hesitant stance then led to my tastes changing, I went first with a.22 (Remington 597 from Dicks was an exact match for the SPS Varmnit) and then I got hooked on 22s, bought 3 .22LRs in 3 months , 2 black shotguns in the 2 months, etc.

Anyway I decided to hold off but always wanted one.. but I decided to make sure my purchase would count. I had wanted a Savage to be honest... a LE Series Savage of several models, the 10 Precision Carbine was my first choice. CMO would not accept a transfer from Buds Gun Shop because they hate them apparently.. but their price was $662 and CMO wanted $789... and it was something I wanted ASAP. So I had the choice of a few lesser rifles at CMO... or then I narrowed it down to two, this gun I bought or a Kimber 84 LPT... the Kimber was beautiful but over $500 more and well.. I am going to put a top level scope on this and a lot of pimping/accessorizing. IMHO I would prefer a fully equipped and decked out Remington 700, with a $1000-$1500+ scope... than a Kimber with a $2-$300 scope and thats it.

Well I am extremely ecstatic with this purchase. I went in on Election Day and when I took out my wallet they informed me NICS was closed... So I dammitly had to wait to the next day... When I went it in was pretty packed at CMO but I waited 20 mins for help then said, LISTEN I am ready just write that one up. Other people were busy kicking tires. They then had me do paperwork and called it in. While they were calling it in, about 30 more people showed up, now it was 3 people deep at each spot at the counter. It took me about an hour for them to take the phone call (Once they get on the phone with the person, I usually am pretty good... I have probably bought a lot of new guns compared to others so its been smoothed out)... by the time the hour was up and they got on the phone and did my approval, the wait had gone from 1 hour, to 2-3, to 4 hours. I just chuckled because it was MADNESS in the store at that point.

While we were waiting I had the gunsmith install me a Leupold one piece scope base and set of rings.. I was thinking about buying a scope but it was so busy I thought, just wait and do it later. So now I am busy with internet searches of scopes, etc. I am leaning towards a Zeiss or a Leupold VX3/ VXR. I don't have quite enough for a Leupold Mark 4 ... but I will be happy....

Without further adu here are my pics@ (With another new member of my portfolio and my Remingtonfamily)

img2026w.jpg

img2027b.jpg

using candy from Halloween to obscure the ID #'s lol.

img2036vz.jpg

img2035tg.jpg

img2034a.jpg

img2032g.jpg

img2028oy.jpg

img2034a.jpg

img2035tg.jpg

More pics will be added as I update this and add the accessories on.

John and RifleMan thank you very very much!!!! i had a long long post typed out thanking you and saying stuff but my dog pawed the keyboard and ruined it so I will try to just say a few extra things.

As I might have mentioned this was one of my long time sought after weapons and was what Iassumed would be my first long gun purchase.. After securing my firearms paperwork I had only one pistol permit and my firearms purchaser ID card... I basically went out that night I received my papers (Which was a Friday afternoon and as it happens my week of vacation from work at the time ..) and bought my handgun which was for better or for worse easily done as it had already been decided.

Then I KNEW I wanted a Remington 700 like the Army and Marines sniper rifle. The Remington 700 SPS Varmnit seemed to be so perfect for me, it LOOKED like an authentic military sniper rifle, it was a Remington 700, it was available easily at Dicks and only $499.99 and a package!!! BUT I read how it wasn't so good..

One problem I found on the SPS line, the Varmint particularly bu across the board was the 'terrible stocks.' . Mine has more than the standard issue terrible terrible Chinese injection molded junky herkyjerkywontworkie plastic stock. I at least have a Hogue OverMolded stock..Which is pillar bedded... it looks a little cooler,. is a little better..has the great grippies, a Hogue recoil pad... a decent pistol-grip-typed handle, etc. NOT AMAZING but not something you have to trash and then cash a more expensive stock ImmedIATELY... now I am sure a better stock is all the neccessity and better option... BUT-- for a while it will be more than just serivceable.

Also it is absolutely perfect for me. it will last me a lifetime and is super effective a 20" heavy barrel , threaded, with a protector, sling studs... I can bipod it, maybe put a flash hider or muzzle brake, (Make it an AAC to match, or maybe even a BattleComp 308 why not eh?) And even though its not a Savage Law Enforcement, which is nice, don't forget it IS a *Remington 700*, basically the king of stock sniper rifles and the most upgradable rifles on the market... I will use it as a SHTF precision rifle, tactical force multiplier, a carry-all gun. I will bipod it, sling it, (Harris and Vickers Blue Force) .. and maybe a soft stock shell carrier...THEN When I carry one of my shotguns (Which would go everywhere with me in a SHTF situation) or even an AK, 15-22 etc. i will strap it to my back and the great thing about the Blue Force Vickers is being able to tighten it down for carrying on the back, loosen up to carry-ready up front, and even loosen totally for ease-of-use up front... And to be honest with my 870 and 700 together I am ready for most any and all SHTF situations in my direct neighborhood.

Anyway I am scoping next... mostly Leupold, although i DO Want a Zeiss ... Nikon Monarch if I'M saving maximum money.

Thanks again!

I will have to get a Har

Note of update- I was fortunate enough to check out and try out-eye out some scopes last night... I was going to purchase a Saiga 12 from CMO... the punk kid that "helped us" with me and My Dad, actually did not like me. He had the nerve to answer my Dad's questions with, "it's whatever". Im serious, two serious questions my Dad asked about the shotgun before he would buy it, and he says... "I don't know...it's whatever.." ?... "yeah, I don't know, who cares, it's whatever." My Dad just shook his head and walked out. I was going to explain to him in an extremely prejudicial way that is not how you speak to my father but there was a lot of customers waiting to look, listen, learn, and lust over the guns so we just bounced.. but before walking out the gunsmith Pierre? i believe and one of the gents who sold me the Remington 700 AAC-SD asked if I had picked a scope yet And then showed me some.

I have of course progressed to Buy Once Cry Once but I also demand the best deal possible before I buy something. Now I am therefore generally extremely satisfied with almost all my firearms related purchases especially all my optics. (I learned the NcStar lesson a long time ago)

I have two Nikon ProStaffs 4-12x40mm on my .22LR sporter rifles, my 597 wears a 4-12x40mm "NikoPlex" reticle (Basically a fine duplex) and my Mk II wears a 4-12x40mm BDC reticle (Nikons awesome Bullet Drop Compensating reticle which you can hook up and cook up with their online Spot On software) ... and I got them for only $160ish each, which now go for like $220 and worth every dime. So I was kean to try out the Nikon Monarchs. They were okay. I like that they are 'top of the line scopes' for $5-$600 max max, and they are pretty high magnification and quailty.

BUT then we tried out the Leupolds... which are just so awesome. People say they're overpriced and overrated need to try the good ones. I am just a little shy about buying a $2000 Mark 4, but the VX3 and VXR's are amazing. I mean so clear... The one i tried which I believe was a VXR 4-12x40mm Boone and Crockett reticle (which is a hunting style take on the militaristic range finding reticle often seen on movies where they are simulating super sniper scopes on the camera)... IT WAS AMAZING.

I mean I am therefore so hooked on the Leupold. I really did like the idea of an illuminated reticle... And leupiold has a 4-12x40mm Ballistic reticle I really really liked... But I am looking for 4.5-14x50mm minimum ... And thatis a Zeiss speciality...there are a bunch of Zeiss Conquest options at 4.5-14x50mm and Zeiss is just Zeiss.

So I am yet to buy yet, I just figure I am spending $1000 on this scope minimumso I want it to count. Its not like I am buying a 200 scope and then upgrading after I save.

(I may still go back to what was my dream scope at one point, the Trijicon AccuPoint 5-20x50mm..) I just have never experienced it so I am curious to know just how illumination the retilcle really sees.)

Okay hopefully I will have pics with scope soon.

I'm looking at the Nikon M308 Ballistically Matched scope system based on their high quality Monarch platform for the Remington 700 on my list. The scope is designed to be used with a 168 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail match grade bullet. It’s not set specifically for one particular load, but is based on an average of all common high quality loads in .308 Winchester. You can also choose a 165, 173, 160 grain round, and then choose the rapid action turret model which allows you to dial in the yardage without the BDC system clouding up your reticle. You can also order a custom turret system for your scope based on the load you prefer to use in your .308 rifle. My use for the R700 will be for shooting in the 600 - 1000 yard area and I'll use the AR-15 for the 50 - 600 yard distances.

IMG_6547.jpg

I am also looking at a semi-automatic Remington R-25 as a possibility in .308. In the meantime I can practice my long distance shooting with the AR-15.

r25.jpg

Damned and I mean hot damned Rifleman we have immensely similiar tastes, I could just repeat a lot of what you said as my own. .. I have two Nikon ProStaffs 4-12x40mm on some of my .22LR's and I love them, they are about the perfect high power high quality scopes for two sporter .22LR rifles , maximizes their potential, anything higher is either wasted or just wrong application.

I would not be opposed to Nikon on my new rifle but i'd probably upgrade to the Monarch... I did in fact check out a Monarch next to the higher end/nicer Leupold CMO had and while the Monarch made Nikon look good, the Leupold really amazed me and shined through... But they can get pretty expensive.

now I have also considered a .308 autoloader... and specifically the R-25... I held one at Dicks a year ago it was very nice...ppl can bash it all they want but I really liked them.... felt great ND LOOked great and is of course upgradedable. I would LOVE to add an M1A but i cant justify that cost...

Nice purchase!

Have you tried looking at SWFA-SS series of scopes? Lots of praise for them over at snipers hide and such. When I finally get my 700 (I've wanted one for forever, seems like for much of the same reasons as you... but it's not that high up on the priority list at the moment) I'm going to look at those pretty closely. They are supposed to be a great bang for your buck.

i have a question or two if anyone is in the know- I am new to .308, I had long wanted one but finally bought one. I admit I had got a little happy buying firearms and their accessories and didn't buy a ton of ammo recently, having added an 870 Tactical [Magpul], a 700 ACC-SD, and now a Saiga 12, when I bought the 700 I bought one box of like $23 Federal .308, standard good quality brass cased full metal jacket rounds.

I have to buy some snap caps, they had tons but not a single pack of .308 at the store... So I really had no need to chamber the rifle but needed to check it out a little so I did... the thing is, it chambers very difficultly . I thought I had been loading the magazine wrong but I am pretty sure I got it right... I mean I YouTube'd it and everything, I cleaned the area extensively and rubbed rubbed rubbed the area and what I would assume is the chamber area as best as I can (Did I do a boot camp brush and scrub no but I did go over it with wipes and rubbing and Rem Oil cleaning wipes scrubbing, then new Rem Oil Wipes soaked in CLP, stuffed in the chamber/beginning of barrel and the whole magazine/bolt area, left over night, re-scrubbed, rewiped and cleaned, re-left to soak and saturate etc. ) And I feel like the gun is chambering rounds difficultly.. Further, it has totally removed the orange'ish metal from the tips of the bullets and even flattened them out a little... its not a huge deal because I am just going to write off these 5 rounds and not shoot them, and eventually I'll buy a quantity of different .308's etc. this box was just not to be totally ammoless (Nothing more useless than a gun with no ammo IMHO).

I just can't be sure, is it just new and needs to be 'broken in' (Which I am trying to do by hand cycling it repeatedly during my free time... I just can't be sure if I am actually ACCOMPLISHING anything by hand cycling it empty..) .. when I put the ammo in the mags and cycle it, it's much more difficult and I just don't want to tempt fate by cycling live ammo repeatedly through the action (especially when it is feeling tight)... So I am kind of stuck in a quandry, i dont' want to keep cycling live ammo in a tight situation but I am not sure it will improve without cycling. Anyway, my other bolt action is a .22LR Which is totally different so I will ask for expertise. Thanks much.

There was something else I had wanted to ask... I will remember and post it.

Questions:

While we were waiting I had the gunsmith install me a Leupold one piece scope base and set of rings.

1) Did your gunsmith install the wrong screws for the front base, and are they protruding into the area before the chamber? That will surely cause binding.

2) Is the magazine box inserted correctly? (It should have the forward half-round cutout below the feed ramp.) I know it's almost impossible to do, but nothing surprises me and anything can be forced these days.

To be honest not really. I checked on the screws, while I wouldn't know if they are actually in fact wrong, I'm *pretty sure* he installed what came with them and they definitely aren't sticking out, I checked with my finger and i cant feel anything so , unless I am also missing it completely, it is not that, but I admit I could be wrong.

2- Now when you say magazine box, what are we referring to? I haven't a magazine, for me I have what looks like the follower, a kind of Z shaped piece of flexible wire-metal-type that connects one end to the follower, other end to the bottom plate. So when you push it closed the follower goes up into the chamber/ejection port area, the flexible metal forms into a close tight shape, and the end plate becomes flush with the stock. When you push the release, the end plate swings open, the flexible metal is expanded into a longer piece via gravity and the follower hangs down... Did that make any sense at all?

I tried to clean it good and hopefully it will resolve itself with some actual firing but I don't know when that will be, I am wondering if I should just go ahead and try to make this an actual magazine model with some conversion kit type deal I have seen. But that should be absolutely separate from it not feeding perfect and im still not sure it is fine but maybe I am just being picky.

I don't know how your model is set up, but most 700's have a magazine box that the follower & spring reside and ride in. If the box is not installed correctly, you could have feeding problems. "Installed correctly" would mean orientation of the box in the correct fashion and flush with the underside of the action cutout and it should also fit flush with the bottom of the stock where the hinged floorplate closes. Some have a tab/screw arrangement that affixes to the underside of the actions, others do not. The push/feed 700 should have minimal hitches when feeding a round.

http://www.midwayusa...winchester-blue

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope this helps.

img2176l.jpg

There is a super half-ace'd middle of the night snapshot of the progress this baby is seeing.

As you can see i have finally mounted and bore-sighted the Bad Mother Trucker in, Nikon Monarch 5-20x44mm Side Focus , Bullet Drop Compensating reticle scope. Also added the Harris Ultralight BRMS bipod, Viking Tactical padded extra-wide sling, and finally got some ammo to feed it... about 5 boxes of Hornady 'Zombie' aka TAP FPD, 168gr Z-Max .. a box of 150 gr FMJ American Eagle.. 4 boxes of sale priced @ Dick's 180gr Remington Core Lokt soft points, some winchester random expensive 180 grainer's and also and Federal Power Shok 180 gr. Soft Pointers..somewhere between 240 and 300 rds so far.. and the rifle is coming great.. If I can do the stock I'd feel "complete" if not I will go to war with the Hogue OverMolded it came with and call it a day...

Anyway my last upgrade/purchase will probably be a muzzle device, I am leaning with something by AAC because it is afterall an AAC-SD package rifle, Advanced Armament Corp makes a combination muzzle brake / flash hider that would probably fit my uses and likes perfect, fit right in.

Ok hope you guys like it.

Nice scope choice!

I may have to cut down my barrel to reduce weight!

Do you need some advice for stock options? LOL

Yes please and thank you to which brands do you refer????

And what do you think is the best?

What should i do??

Thank you thank you

I have an accuracy international AICS 1.5 stock that I LOVE on my R700. It's pt#3756 if you want to take a look. ONLY downside is it's heavy. The rifle now weighs 15lbs. Doesn't seem like much, but at the end of the day... It is. Backpack style sling is a must if you're going to take it on a long haul. Another thing you may want to look into over time is a larger bolt knob. Like a badger ordinance for example. Makes it a bit easier to move quicker and without taking your eye off of the target. Let me know if you have any questions. I Love your rifle, I know you do too. 700's are the best.

555 just wanted to say thank you very much for a great compliment. Without trying to sound terrible it makes you very happy when someone compliments your gun thank you.

almiz It was my understanding that I would need a whole new trigger and fire control group setup to use external magazines, its not just a matter of buying the mags and the bottom metal... is that not right?

So you have a bdl and want to use external mag's? It's a bit exstensive to do yourself without a lathe, but it is doable. Check out: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=721250 there's some good info there. That was another reason I went with the AICS system. Great external mag system, and easy as pie to setup.

If I have an ADL and want to drop it into an AICS stock would I have to get a ADL/BDL conversion kit?

http://www.brownells...ts-prod340.aspx

And then just remove the floor plate and follower spring when installing the AICS to use an external magazine or is there more to it?

You don't need an adl to bdl conversion. It will just drop in. The adl and bdl is the same action minus the hinged floorplate. All you need is the AICS and your 700 and you'll be capable of (with practice, match ammo, good techniques, etc etc) sub .5moa groups.