Dan

Generator Brands?

@SW9racer Looks like you've done your homework on what you "need". If you can afford the Honda you will more then likely never regret it. They're just so damn expensive for something you'll hopefully rarely use.  My only recommendation is what ever you get, add the conversion kit to run it on LP/NG  too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmittyMHS said:

My only recommendation is what ever you get, add the conversion kit to run it on LP/NG  too.

I'll second that. I believe the first consideration should be the fuel source, and I believe LP is the best choice. You can store multiple tanks, or get a big tank, it never goes bad or needs to be treated, it's safe to store, and in a real pinch, when electric is off and you can't find a open gas station, a new tank of propane is over the fence attached to your neighbors grill.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SW9racer said:

Looking to get an inverter generator. Is the low price harbor freights any good? Or am I better off crying once and just get the Honda 2200i and be set for life? Thoughts?

For the use, want the inverter clean power, very quiet operation, and the excellent fuel consumption. May only use it for a few days, once a year, in the summer in FL if a storm knocks out power. Only need to run one appliance at a time, so fridge during day, small portable ac at night, tv or laptop, and occasional microwave. The 2200i has plenty of power and maybe I would use 2 gallons of gas per day. 

If you can (ACTUALLY) afford it, that's an unintelligent question, honestly.
I've used the harbor freight units. They ARE over-rated a bit, or eat tons of fuel to put out close to what they are rated for versus something like the Ridgid units and such i've had (Mine has a Subaru motor; great machine).
Buy once, cry once if you can afford it. That said, IMO having a cheaper unit or lightly used one is better than none..
I May be able to find you a good deal on one through my supplier, i deal with overstocks and returns and stuff like that. Sometimes i can get my hands on a genny for around half of retail.. PM me if youd like and ill keep an eye out.

Most of my neighbors have Generac standby units. I haven't asked why yet, but we do have quite as lot of trees, and our electric provider is JCP&L. I like that EU7000iS, but it costs about the same as a home standby. I have natural gas, so I might go with something cheap that runs on NG and gas until I get around to a standby. I have too many other projects that need to come first (garage doors, a few windows, tree removal).

I'm a big Subaru fan, but how are their generators? Anyone have any insight on noise, performance, maintenance, etc. 

22 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

If you can (ACTUALLY) afford it, that's an unintelligent question, honestly....

I do hate overpaying for name brands unless they are really worth the premium. 

For this class inverter, it seems that Honda is #1 and Champion is #2(maybe?).  I now find Costco has a nice Champion inverter, dual fuel right out of the box.  It seems the better value with the features, price still around $900, and Costco support. Could be a bit noiseyer than honda. Anyone with any Champion experience?

On 4/29/2018 at 4:17 PM, Zeke said:

Jeebus this kid is a wheeler dealer! I like it.

??? Whats that even mean

On 4/30/2018 at 9:51 AM, ChrisJM981 said:

I'm a big Subaru fan, but how are their generators? Anyone have any insight on noise, performance, maintenance, etc. 

My Ridgid 8kw is powered by a Subaru motor. It regularly sits for extended periods of time and not once have i had an issue starting it, even after over a year of sitting.. used it during power outages(sandy), on construction sites, and site clean up and it has always done a great job. Pretty heavy machine overall but 2 people can manhandle it into my truck bed. 

hell, the battery for the electric start doesnt even die. Its insane.

On 4/29/2018 at 7:23 PM, SmittyMHS said:

Makes me smile when I see youngsters like him. There maybe hope for the future after all.

Kids like him will always find a way instead of an excuse.

Who are you guys talking about?

1 hour ago, SmittyMHS said:

You ya dope!

I wish my stepson had your drive.

Do you guys stalk me or something? Not sure where you got any info as to my drive or anything but OK haha.
Don't rely on me to save humanity's future. It's fucked, trust me. I only know one other guy like me (The guy i do construction with here and there), and he's a bit more of an asshole in my opinion. Nonetheless, he'd give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. It just takes him a few weeks to show up when your Heat ain't workin... :rolleyes:
Send him my way, i'll whip his ass into shape. I could use a hand for a few weeks doing some cleanup in the warehouse. Its a complete mess.