mattio41

Bug Out Bag - Tools

This came across my email today in one of those sales offers. I thought this had some merit about having one in my BOB bag.

the-gun-tool-bore-light-promo_1_4.png

Field or range, this is the most versatile and handy combo a shooter can carry. The Gun Tool is loaded with 18 of the most frequently used long gun tools, including five Torx and Allen wrenches and four magnetic hex drive bits, in a compact and ergonomic folding frame. A stout claw-point blade is ideal for ammo boxes, and the pin punch makes quick work of disassembly. The multi-function choke wrench fits most tubes from .410 to 10 ga. and doubles as a scope windage and elevation adjuster. A durable stainless steel and grip-coat polymer frame neatly houses every implement. Unlike handyman multi-tools, the Gun Tool is built from the specific needs, insights and frustrations of hunters and shooters. No tool fits you better.

Tools Included:

• 420 SS Claw-point blade

• Gun Pin Punch

• Choke Wrench: 10 ga; 12 ga; 16 ga; 20 ga; 28 ga; .410

• Scope windage/elevation blade

• Torx drive: T20; T15; T10

• Allen Hex drive: 3/32"; 5/32"

• Magnetic 3/16" driver

• screwdrivers: 1/8" flat; 3/16" flat; Phillips 1 & 2

• Magnetic bit storage block with access door

• 420 Stainless steel frame with Rubber grip-

coated polymer jackets

Included with $10.00 Sheath and Bits upgrade:

• EVA molded belt sheath

• 5 extra hex drive bits: 5/64", 7/64", 1/8", 9/64", 3/16" with a 1/4" hex driver adapter

Can be found HERE

What other tools do you have in your BOB bag?

Besides a Multi-Tool, I also have this, which is strapped to the outside of the bag for easy access. It serves as two purposes, 1, it is a pretty defensive weapon if needed. But also, it is a good breaching tool or wrecking tool, if you have to get in or out of somewhere. In addition, if you found you were in a rescue mode to help somebody get out of trapped vehicle, house, etc...

remote_image_1332768555.big.jpg

You can buy it on line, but I found it right on the shelf at Home Depot also, and it was the best price I found.

Besides a Multi-Tool, I also have this, which is strapped to the outside of the bag for easy access. It serves as two purposes, 1, it is a pretty defensive weapon if needed. But also, it is a good breaching tool or wrecking tool, if you have to get in or out of somewhere. In addition, if you found you were in a rescue mode to help somebody get out of trapped vehicle, house, etc...

You can buy it on line, but I found it right on the shelf at Home Depot also, and it was the best price I found.

I'm gonna say that with my exp cutting people out of cars (FF/EMT) that tool will be okay breaking glass but that's about it.

I'm gonna say that with my exp cutting people out of cars (FF/EMT) that tool will be okay breaking glass but that's about it.

I agree about the glass of car part. It is more designed to be a wrecking bar for home construction, which in a SHTF scenario or natural disaster to get in or out of a home could be useful. Also could double as a weapon if needed.

I think the idea of a BOB needs to be refined. Where are you located, where are you bugging out to, what is the emergency?

-Are you looking at wilderness survival?

-Do you plan on trying to break into a warehouse to restock supplies. (I know none of us are this type but I am imagining I true SHTF zombie apocalypse mess)

-Are you bugging out with friends and can afford to share heavier supplies (pry bars, full tool boxes, etc)

My BOB is bordering on too heavy (bullets and D batteries are a ****) but it is almost complete, I just need to figure out how which fish supplies to pack.

I think the idea of a BOB needs to be refined. Where are you located, where are you bugging out to, what is the emergency?

-Do you plan on trying to break into a warehouse to restock supplies. (I know none of us are this type but I am imagining I true SHTF zombie apocalypse mess)

-Are you bugging out with friends and can afford to share heavier supplies (pry bars, full tool boxes, etc)

My BOB is bordering on too heavy (bullets and D batteries are a ****) but it is almost complete, I just need to figure out how which fish supplies to pack.

Wellll, maybe I watch to much history channel and the shows about the Mega Storms or the Mega Quakes... HAHAHAHAHA That being said. I am much more prepared to "BUG IN" then I am to actually "BUG OUT", but there are a few circumstances, even as rare as they may be, that might push me from my home.

I am Coastal Monmouth County. My complex is less then 1/2 mile away from the Storm Surge of a significant storm. This time we were lucky, and the waters did not come up that high, but a stronger storm, combined with right weather conditions, could be a factor for me. And lets not forget about when the Canary Island's explode in Volcanic eruptions, and sends a Tsunami our way. Storm surge wont matter. Hey, dont believe me, just watch the History Channel ;) LOL

It would take an extraordinary amount of Civil Unrest to drive me from my home. Not that I am looking to pick a fight, but I am well prepared to defend my home and my loved ones. But would prefer to flee before I had to actually raise a firearm to fight. That would be last resort.

As far as my BOB, it has been a work in motion, but trying to stock it with items that can be used for multi-purpose. Take the items camping, hiking, and field test them, so I know what works for me, and when I get back, resupply, purge, or replace with a better system. I am not planning on living in New Jersey much longer, and I am not sure where I will end up just yet. But at least, I have a jump on some of the basics.

Not to derail, but i think its more important to be prepaired to BUG IN than OUT (unless you are in an evac zone close to the water or something) so in the rare event that you actually have to leave, you should also have a reliable 4x4 with enough room to bring supplies whever you are going.

My goal when my car is paid off next year is to get a truck and a 2nd utility vehicle. One, because everytime I go to lowes or homedepot and purchase a large item i need to borrow a someones truck and that is a pain in the ass, but also in the event of maybe a large scale flood or even nuke reactor issue and we need to leave for PA for a week or 2, it would be nice to have a truck with enough room for supplies and the ability to drive through roads that are in bad condition or something of that nature.

That said, I do have a BOB but it is no where near finished. I have a hatchet with crow bar multi-tool. Should be fairly handy...

I bought one of these some time ago and have used it quite a bit. Recently is came with me for some disaster recovery work thanks to Sandy. This is a monster. You want to twist studs until they break free...punch thru drywall...pop a hole in cinder block to make a drain hole...rip nails out of concrete with ease...then this is a must have. Plus, in 'weapon-free zones' this tool doubles as one heck of a close personal protection device. Plus is has a bottle opener on it and a cool skull logo.

Also, look into old school push drills / hand drills. I have a few sets from my father who was carpenter and his are built to last and you can still get bits. When you don't have power, these can replace a cordless drill for many tasks. Not as fast, but when you can't recharge your drill or just want something small in your BO Tool Kit...they are nice.

http://www.oldtoolsnstuff.com/yankee%20style%20push%20drills%20info%20page.htm

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/Hand-Drill/products/335/

Not to derail, but i think its more important to be prepaired to BUG IN than OUT (unless you are in an evac zone close to the water or something) so in the rare event that you actually have to leave, you should also have a reliable 4x4 with enough room to bring supplies whever you are going.

I am Coastal Monmouth, and was only a few more feet away of Storm Surge of being ordered to Evacuate During Sandy. My primary goal is to be able to "Bug In" which is my primary Planning. That being said, I still have to plan for the Alternative.

And if you have ever tried to leave the shore area during peak summer season, then you know it can take to drive. Now imagining a widespread panic, Roads, may not be accessible. I have a jeep, so no Front Lawn will be spared... hahahahaha

I bought one of these some time ago and have used it quite a bit. Recently is came with me for some disaster recovery work thanks to Sandy. This is a monster. You want to twist studs until they break free...punch thru drywall...pop a hole in cinder block to make a drain hole...rip nails out of concrete with ease...then this is a must have. Plus, in 'weapon-free zones' this tool doubles as one heck of a close personal protection device. Plus is has a bottle opener on it and a cool skull logo.

Precisely why I bought it. I have a friend who had one, and I was helping do some demo work. It is a monster. And can handle what you need to do. And in the event of emergency, messy is not always so bad. And once you see it in person, you instantly say to yourself, why wouldn't I have this....

This is my Go Tool Bag. I am putting it back together after being in the field yesterday at our beach in Lavalette and working with Team Rubicon in Rockaway. My pliers and vise grips are missing and are somewhere in my pack. The idea behind MY bag, is to demo, make shelter or make hasty repairs. Throw in a few brown tarps, some nails, a roll or two of thick clear plastic and you can make some decent repairs / shelter. I also keep a couple small boxes of nails and dry wall screws near by to throw into the bag if need be. Nails / screws are heavy as hell in bulk.

Another neat tool to have is a camping / backing saw. You load in a few hacksaw blades and some bone cutting blades to handle various chores. All my packs have a SOG Tomahawk for better chopping if needed. FWIW - Walmart has the FastHawk on sale for $20 and is a smaller version of the Tomahawk. BugOutTools.jpg

I am Coastal Monmouth, and was only a few more feet away of Storm Surge of being ordered to Evacuate During Sandy. My primary goal is to be able to "Bug In" which is my primary Planning. That being said, I still have to plan for the Alternative.

And if you have ever tried to leave the shore area during peak summer season, then you know it can take to drive. Now imagining a widespread panic, Roads, may not be accessible. I have a jeep, so no Front Lawn will be spared... hahahahaha

oh i know what you mean man. thats why i want a truck. plus for when my wife has to go to work in a blizzard. she is essential personnel so she has to drive in the shittiest weather and it sucks.

I'm a huge fan of hunkering in. The only thing that will get me to move is a fire. But, like with Sandy, sometimes you need to help people and having a tool bag ready to roll is nice.

FWIW - having a dedicated chain saw bag / box with your extra parts / chains / protective gear / oil is a good idea. When time matters, moving fast counts. Irene proved the value of that last year when I went around helping out some neighbors.

As you might have guessed, I have go bags / boxes / kits for all sorts of things. Even got my boating ditch bag for when I go off-shore fishing. Semper Paratus!!!

Imagine a mass bug out. I would think it would be better to stay at home for a few days and wait until traffic is gone. Easier to defend and score additional supplies in an area you know.

Not necessarily a choice you may have. Do that, and we may see you being pulled from the drink by the rescue boats.... Whats the age old saying, when you gotta go, you gotta goooo !!!

I'm a huge fan of hunkering in. The only thing that will get me to move is a fire. But, like with Sandy, sometimes you need to help people and having a tool bag ready to roll is nice.

FWIW - having a dedicated chain saw bag / box with your extra parts / chains / protective gear / oil is a good idea. When time matters, moving fast counts. Irene proved the value of that last year when I went around helping out some neighbors.

As you might have guessed, I have go bags / boxes / kits for all sorts of things. Even got my boating ditch bag for when I go off-shore fishing. Semper Paratus!!!

As said previously, primary objective is to HUNKER DOWN and BUG IN. Which has been my primary focus of preparations. 12 days running on generator to keep Aquarium running, as well as Fridge, some electronics on heavy duty surge protectors to watch movies. and a couple of light bulbs. Will be working on making a quick disconnect for the furnace, so I dont have to try to Hot wire it, but rather a plug and play.

But while I am doing all this, still making plans that if you have to go, you. but at the same time, making this bag dual purpose, and use the items in my camping gear also. Just when I get back, reload and repack.

not to derail (again - i seem to say that a lot) but my furnace has an outlet next to it that it plugs into, so i shouldnt have to "hot wire" anything, right? Just plug it right in. When you guys say hot wire, you are referring to a system that is hard wired and not plugged into an outlet right??

not to derail (again - i seem to say that a lot) but my furnace has an outlet next to it that it plugs into, so i shouldnt have to "hot wire" anything, right? Just plug it right in. When you guys say hot wire, you are referring to a system that is hard wired and not plugged into an outlet right??

Yes, that is correct. If you are already set up that way, then you should be able to power up your furnace by generator, by simply plugging your furnace into an extension cord and connect to a generator..

Dump anything that used D batteries, you can get an LED CREE flashlight that will run for hours on a single AA for $6.00, maxpedition makes a little cordura pouch with a hard plastic insert that can hold 8 AA's. 2 Lights plus the batteries weighs less than a 2D maglight and it's in-use batteries alone, nevermind spares.

Dump anything that used D batteries, you can get an LED CREE flashlight that will run for hours on a single AA for $6.00, maxpedition makes a little cordura pouch with a hard plastic insert that can hold 8 AA's. 2 Lights plus the batteries weighs less than a 2D maglight and it's in-use batteries alone, nevermind spares.

Agree and disagree, dump them out of your pack! Replace light scourge with AAA or AA lighting. Hold onto the batteries and barter them for something you need on the next disaster.

I keep a stock of them in my home emergency bucket. Gave them away and traded with the neighbors. They were grateful I had them and I have received all sorts of goodies and items in return, besides the community building it did between my neighbors.

I have the basic stuff, However I keep a carton of smokes for bartering. ;) I don't smoke.

Don't laugh, in a SHTF smokes and booze will be a "Huge" bartering item, that and .22 long rifle bullets. I read somewhere where somebody said fill the little 3

Don't laugh, in a SHTF smokes and booze will be a "Huge" bartering item, that and .22 long rifle bullets. I read somewhere where somebody said fill the little 3

It happened in Keansburg, we joined the crowds of people walking around looking for something to do/something that was open.. and at least 5 or 6 people asked us where they could get smokes..

If only I had a pallet of them...

I guess this storm wasn't really SHTF in terms of civil unrest or whatever.. but the liquor stores where the first ones open.. had people in them with flashlights.. or just a few lights strung up and powered by a small portable generator