Sign in to follow this  
Geo17pip

Sears and Roebuck 16 ga bolt action shotgun

My grandfather wants to hand this gun down to me. Its in amazing condition, he only used it a few times in the 50's and 60's he told me. My question is, can I clean and lube it up and be ready to go or should I take it to someone? Its not broken and is functioning just fine. Its been sitting in its case in a dry closet for years. Also do you guys think I can shoot slugs out of it? Its a smooth bore. Ill try to get some pics up soon.

George

If you choose to just go out and shoot it ... I would use low brass shells luke bird or game shot. Now should you have it looked at thats upto you. I honestly wouldn't waste the money if the gun has no rust on it and no cracks on the barrel or receiver. For good measure you can do the old string on the trigger set up to test it. Good luck

Now to play the opposite end of the spectrum, obviously this gun holds a lot of value to you and who knows what the cash value is , but it's irreplaceable to you right? What's the harm in spending little cash to get a gunsmith to at least give it an expert eye perhaps a little TLC/Once Over/if nothing else a nice cleaning and babying. It would ease your mind, increase safety and security of the gun and probably make it look and function better no? Anyway thats just how I see it , unless it was hundreds of bucks I cant see how $50 or even 75? worth of a gunsmiths time and effort would not be worth every penny.

Ok so I have an update. It wont fire. You load a shell into the chamber and you see that the rear cocking peice is all the way back, but the trigger wont nudge. Yes the saftly was off. Then when I tried extracting the shell, the bolt gets stuck and you have to force pull the bolt back in order to pop the shell out. Any idea as to what might be wrong? I will take it to a gunsmith.

George

1. Do you know what the model number is? It should be on the left-side of the barrel where it says Sears.
  2. When you open the bolt, then hold the trgger to the rear, can you remove the bolt from the action?

With the flathead screw on the left side of the receiver it would probably be the Stevens equivalent. These are solid, robust and reliable shotguns. If it were mine I would completely disassemble it and try to find the problem. There are so few parts on these they are easy to troubleshoot, but it sounds like you need to take it to a 'smith.