Sign in to follow this  
MarkWVU02

handgun question

My LEO uncle recently passed away. I know his possessions go to his next of kin. his wife lives out of country and probably won't want/be able to take his guns. How would I go about legally getting them. I'd like to keep his handgun (especially the one that saved his life) in the family and I'm really the only legal gun owner in the family. Not even sure yet if this will be the case but just in case how would I legally go about taking possession of his guns. Most likely it will only be 1 or 2 handguns. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

you need a p2p for each gun, get an exception from your local pd to take possession of all the guns at once. she fills out as the seller and u fill it out as a buyer and call it a day. just rememebr to send ti to the appropriate people when your done.

She will take possession of the HG's as part of her inheritance. You will need PPP + COE to transfer from her to you. If there are more then one that you want, start filling out the multiple purchase waiver application. I believe you will need the make/model/serial of all of the HG's for the form.

Since she doesn't have a FID, she just has to put N/A or something to that effect on the forms for her section.

Your only chance is to respectfully ask the powers that be in the PD. Best case is they get out the reference letters and send your stuff to the NJSP ASAP.

Another option is to have your friendly FFL act as escrow.

Thanks that's what I was thinking. I wonder if there's any way to rush it since she won't be in the country long. Lyndhurst has been quick with everything...apparently the chief is very pro-gun.

she can leave them at a ffl with a storage fee and such and u will be resposible for those fees and transfers fees if thats the case. as a vendor hear see what they say.

If the person who inherited the guns is a prohibited person OR if the heir does not want them , the police can hold on to them for up to 180 days while the heir attempts to sell them . We had a similar issue with my grandpa's estate. Knowing Lyndhust , I think you would have zero problem explaining to the Chief the whole situation , along with the fact that international travel dates will be involved. Go to the PD , like , today , and apply for the permits , and an exemption at the same time. Having the serial numbers off the gun would be a good idea.

Thanks he was a good man and hell of a cop. I have to wait for his wife to get here tomorrow before I can get the serial numbers or makes and models. Like i said I don't even know what the situation is going to be and have to wait for her to get here. Just trying to be prepared in case. I know the chief in Lyndhurst is pretty good with these things...heck it only took me 3.5 weeks from getting fingerprinted to get my FID and first P2P.