mipafox

Fat People on the Plane

Listen, I don't want to upset any of our members that are fat. It's just that, you gotta go.

I'm tired of really fat people sitting/sleeping on top of me on the plane. And it seems like roughly 10% of the people on the plane are really super fat but I have like a 50% chance that one of them will be seated on top of me. Help!

Is there like some sort of reason in the ticket selection algorithms that I have fat people seated on me? I'm asking a serious question. Do fat people fall into some sort of demographic that puts them in certain seats somehow?

They need to take a chair off the plane and put it at the gate with a sign that says, "You must be this size to fly." Like they do at Disneyland with the height signs. If the fat person can't keep their entire body in the footprint of the seat, and they are overflowing the armrests, then they need two tickets for two adjacent seats to get on the plane. Or, as many seats as it takes. I have had enormous fat people sleeping on top of me, drooling on me and snoring, with pork ribs stuck between their teeth. This has got to stop.

Karma? :)

Could be. Believe it or not, there were times in my youth that I was a little unpleasant. Never unfair, or a cheater, but not always as nice as today. And, mistakes, I've made a few.

The waiting is the hardest part. I usually board in the first zone so I sit there and watch the fat people come on board and head my way. Miss, whew. Here comes a biggun...another miss... Oh No, it's Rosie O'Donnell! Nooooooo!

Boom! Right on top of me.

I'm pretty self conscious about other people when I travel. It had been a great many years since I flew and in that interceding time, I've put on a lot of weight. I never fly anymore because I don't want to be responsible for someone elses discomfort on the plane. Also, for fear of being singled out and ejected from the flight.

Then, in 2011, my aunt was violently killed in a motor vehicle accident with an impaired driver. My father was going to have to go to her funeral in Phoenix by himself. So, I flew. And, under the circumstances I'd tell you to go pound sand.

Well, why should he have to pay a premium to fly first class because someone else is too big for their seat. I see the quandary.

The issue is that there should be a pairing up of people who are big with people who are very small...a symbiosis if you will. Like those little birds that clean the back of a hippo.

I'm pretty self conscious about other people when I travel. It had been a great many years since I flew and in that interceding time, I've put on a lot of weight. I never fly anymore because I don't want to be responsible for someone elses discomfort on the plane. Also, for fear of being singled out and ejected from the flight.

Then, in 2011, my aunt was violently killed in a motor vehicle accident with an impaired driver. My father was going to have to go to her funeral in Phoenix by himself. So, I flew. And, under the circumstances I'd tell you to go pound sand.

I'm not angry at fat people, I just want them stopped.

Losing weight is not easy. It's obvious that our entire society is setup in a way that makes it difficult. I'm not saying it's society's fault, I'm saying most people have more than one priority in life and losing weight is a **** that requires a complete lifestyle overhaul. I feel bad for people with problems, I don't hate them. I just don't want them on top of me!

I wouldn't be self conscious about your weight when flying. I doubt it makes you more unpleasant.

I doubt it makes you more unpleasant.

meaning...more unpleasant than I normally am? lol

They do enforce. It depends upon the airilne. Usually, I owuld try to get sat in an exit row or a bulkhead for some extra legroom and sitting on the window offers some wiggle over. Southwest, though, does general seating...no assigned seats. they'll kick you off.

That said, I've never been ejected nor am I large enough to warrant it. I'm just typically a courteous person and don't want to be embarrassed. Sometimes, circumstances dictate you have to fly. I have three small kids. I refuse to fly with them. Not only because of the nuisance they are to others but also because of the stress involved in flying with them. But, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Pay for first class then. Even if the person next to you is fat, you should still have enough room... plus you have a lot more power if you complain.

People should pay for the seat that fits them. If you gush 4" into my seat, I am comfortable with your right to fly, but you certainly didn't buy 10% of my ticket. You don' fit in coach, upgrade to business or first or get the F out of my seat.

Could be. Believe it or not, there were times in my youth that I was a little unpleasant. Never unfair, or a cheater, but not always as nice as today. And, mistakes, I've made a few.

I think I got my Karmic payback when I taught 8th grade. It was like punishment for me being an obnoxious shit when I was that age.

People should pay for the seat that fits them. If you gush 4" into my seat, I am comfortable with your right to fly, but you certainly didn't buy 10% of my ticket. You don' fit in coach, upgrade to business or first or get the F out of my seat.

4"? I've had people gush over me almost into the seat on the other side of me.

I fly quite a bit and by no means a lightweight but one thing to remember is that not only are we getting fatter, the carriers, especially American carriers are jamming more seats into plane to maximize profits.

Not only are they shortening legroom to accomplish this but in some cases actually narrowing seats to fit an extra row. I feel for that passenger that experiences overhang by a seat mate and try to fly Asian air carriers as much as possible where ironically seats and aisles are wider and the service is far Superior.

I hate flying commercial. The seats are uncomfortable enough without anybody sitting next to you nevertheless having to sit next to someone (or two someones!) who are obese, dirty, sick, or any combination of those things! Too bad the North American airlines (spare a few) are poorly run and in order to even maintain operations have to cut costs and jam more people in aircraft with poorer service. It sucks for those of you that have to pay baggage fees too.

Yeah, you notice some of the larger people in this thread say that they have it on their mind when they are sitting on me?

As much as people are A-holes in general, most of the enormously fat fuckers I've had on top of me on planes have been obviously conscious of the fact and seem ashamed and embarrassed. It's a weird situation because I feel bad for them, but I want to feel bad for them somewhere else!

Oh yeah, hey, hows it going? I hope my chin is not resting on your giant man boob as you choke me out, do you want a piece of gum before I lose consciousness?

Maybe if the seats were made large enough so that an 11 year old girl fill up the seat there wouldn't be a problem.  Any adult male WILL "overflow" the seats.

DEAL WITH IT.

Stay out of my seat. DEAL WITH IT. I don't come onto your seat, you don't come onto mine. Sound fair? Buy two or more tickets, however many you need.

Listen, I don't want to upset any of our members that are fat. It's just that, you gotta go.

I'm tired of really fat people sitting/sleeping on top of me on the plane. And it seems like roughly 10% of the people on the plane are really super fat but I have like a 50% chance that one of them will be seated on top of me. Help!

Is there like some sort of reason in the ticket selection algorithms that I have fat people seated on me? I'm asking a serious question. Do fat people fall into some sort of demographic that puts them in certain seats somehow?

They need to take a chair off the plane and put it at the gate with a sign that says, "You must be this size to fly." Like they do at Disneyland with the height signs. If the fat person can't keep their entire body in the footprint of the seat, and they are overflowing the armrests, then they need two tickets for two adjacent seats to get on the plane. Or, as many seats as it takes. I have had enormous fat people sleeping on top of me, drooling on me and snoring, with pork ribs stuck between their teeth. This has got to stop.

Not much to say other than to suggest purchasing a 1st Class ticket next time.

The issue is that there should be a pairing up of people who are big with people who are very small...a symbiosis if you will. Like those little birds that clean the back of a hippo.

Paired based on what criteria? From an aerodynamic and weight balance perspective you have to pair big and small people.

And why am I reading all these posts in the voice of Samuel L Jackson? Mother F***'n fatties on a Plane!

A good friend of mine is a HUGE man. Around 6'-3" and 450 I would guess. Former pro wrestler (no, you probably never heard of him, as he was a self-described jobber) who is extremely conscious about his size. We flew to Florida a couple of years ago and he bought two seats--window and adjacent, per the usual for when he flies, so he wouldn't be melding to the person next to him, which wasn't me because I was smart enough to ask for a seat across the aisle from him.