Here is a link to the pistol:

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/plr-16/

I saw one one of these at a store yesterday and was surprised probably because it looks to much like rifle but is a pistol. I guess there isn't any type of pistol on the AWB list except mag capacity (this is 5 rounds of .223). I really want one but like my freedom more. Thoughts in legality? It's obvious NJ scare tactics work if I'm looking at something at an FFL for sale and I am too worried to buy it.

Cheers,

Rob

IMHO, it is legal to own in NJ as it is not "substantially identical" to anything on the "assault weapon" list. However, the NJAG put the 1996 Directive into the Administrative Code which all NJ dealers must follow or risk losing their license. Good luck.

Since it's a pistol doesn't the weight come into play? Like 50oz. or something?

Isn't that the big killer with AR pistols?

That is what I was trying to say. It is legal per law, as it is not like anything on "the list". Where is the weight limit in the law?

As stated, the Admin Code directs the dealer how he conducts business. The NJAG and NJSP have said, ALL firearms must follow the evil features game, so a dealer risks selling or transferring one to you.

In reference to JohnP's post,

From title 13, chapter 54,

ii. A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; (2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or (5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm; and

ii. A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip; (2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;

(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or (5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm; and

It looks like this one fails all of those tests.

The threaded barrel can be taken car of. The other two you are stuck with.

true, unless you take the pistol grip off and hold it by the mag well hahahahaha

actually i've wondered lately if you put the pistol grip on the side of a weapon what they would do. this would be more for rifles but just bear with me. AR minus pistol grip, move grip to stick out from right side for right handed individual and put a little extender on the trigger to the right. its NOT a grip that protrudes conspicuously BEANEATH the action. :D

I've scene this and the Bushmaster version at NJ ranges so somebody is selling them and people are buying them. And, what is this "wouldn't want to get caught" stuff? Are you using it as a stick-up piece or bank robbery gun? No, it's a range tool. Buy one, shoot it at the range, take it home and clean it. Done

I've scene this and the Bushmaster version at NJ ranges so somebody is selling them and people are buying them. And, what is this "wouldn't want to get caught" stuff? Are you using it as a stick-up piece or bank robbery gun? No, it's a range tool. Buy one, shoot it at the range, take it home and clean it. Done

Seems like this advice can get someone arrested

Seems like this advice can get someone arrested

Sounds like this kind of attitude is the reason nothing will ever change in this state. People are scared of their own shadow when it comes to guns.

So, is this a statute or a "guidline"?

I was under the impression it was the former.

I try hard to change things in nj but I'm not going to break the law and risk losing my rights, that's just stupidity

Who told you to break the law?

What advice did Ray Ray give that would get someone arrested?

The firearm in question here weighs 54 ounces, has a threaded barrel, has a magazine that attaches outside the grip, doesn't that make it illegal in nj under the substantially identical law

Read Post #2 in this thread.

AFAIK the Bushy Carbon 15 pistol with the shroud removed and a brake pinned on is the only NJ legal AR pistol that I have seen. I believe it comes in at 45oz with the barrel shroud, so without it it will be even less. Nice and below the 50oz number.

wouldn't want to get caught at home, caught at the range, pulled over on the way to the range. do i really have to go on? i can't even beleive you would call me out on that comment. i meant what i said, i wouldn't want to be found with it.

Sounds like this kind of attitude is the reason nothing will ever change in this state. People are scared of their own shadow when it comes to guns.

the people at my work in delaware say things along the same line to me. "don't worry about it, you won't get caught" or "its not like they're gonna raid your house". yeah thats true, but guess what, i'd rather be scared of my own shadow than go to jail for 7 years.

Read Post #2 in this thread.

is PK90 a lawyer? or judge? no offense to him, but just because someone says something (one way or the other) doesn't make it true and doesn't mean an NJ court wouldn't rule otherwise.

AFAIK the Bushy Carbon 15 pistol with the shroud removed and a brake pinned on is the only NJ legal AR pistol that I have seen. I believe it comes in at 45oz with the barrel shroud, so without it it will be even less. Nice and below the 50oz number.

To clarify:

The most recent ones (fluted stainless barrel model) have a quick connect (similar to an air hose fitting) on the brake. The muzzle is not threaded, but grooved to accept the quick connect collar.

The older models (non-fluted barrels) from Professional Ordinance (the company that Bushmaster bought to acquire its Carbon-15 technology) have the brake set-screwed to the grooved muzzle.

Not having a shrouded barrel is really no big deal. The mag (or the magwell) makes a wonderful forward grip.

Or you could be a big boy and use both hands on the pistol grip, like the combat shooters do.

Or, you might even want to be a man, and shoot it one handed, like the bullseye shooters do.

After all, it's only a .223 :onthequiet:

is PK90 a lawyer? or judge? no offense to him, but just because someone says something (one way or the other) doesn't make it true and doesn't mean an NJ court wouldn't rule otherwise.

I don't think he's a lawyer or judge. But on this forum he is one of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to NJ gun laws.

He said in his opinion it is legal, therefore I am assuming if he considers it legal, as an FFL he would sell it to a customer.

And if the PLR-16 wasn't so f-ing ugly I'd buy one.