JTQ911

Springfield EMP 9mm vs HK P7M8

Does anyone have any experience with these guns. I prefer metal guns (yet still on the lighter side) that are thin and easy to conceal. I'd most likely leave the P7 stock... maybe refinished by Robar. The EMP I'd probably get a single side safety and checker front strap 20 LPI.

Any thoughts, comments, or recommendations?

Jim

Can't speak to the EMP, but I have owed several flavors of the HK P7 series. The P7M8 is a great gun. It is extremely accurate, ambidextrous, and simple to take apart for cleaning. It has the lowest bore axis (minimizing recoil) of any gun I have ever shot.

It does get very hot after about 50 rounds though and I found that the brass gets a bit chewed (which only matters to reloaders, and since 9mm brass is the most common one on range floors, probably not even too much to them).

The only downside to the P7M8 is cost. Currently, they run about $1500+ for one in excellent to new condition. Also, the newer P7M8 pistols had pretty crappy bluing jobs done and it is very common to see a little surface rust on them and worn bluing on the sharp edges. The P7 PSP is a better option. It can be had for around $600 in good shape. They are usually HK refurbished German police trade-ins. HK put new internals in them, but did not refinish the outside. You are basically getting a new gun with whatever finish it had when turned in. One difference between the PSP and the M8 is that the PSP has the European style heel mag release. Some folks who conceal carry them prefer it to the trigger guard release on the M8, which is easier to accidentally hit when drawing the gun. The other difference is that on the M8, no tool is required to remove the firing pin assembly. On the PSP you need a small blade type tool to do it.

If you ever intend to CCW this gun, be aware that it is heavy (like 45ACP 1911 heavy), although I am sure it would be fine in the right holster.

Never fired an emp but own a subcompact 9mm and 40sw 1911 so I am familiar with the platform. I own a couple p7m8 pistols and a p7m13. If I had to choose it would be the p7m8 hands down. I am biased since I think the p7 series was one of the most ingenious handgun designs ever invented. Yes, the 1911 has its merit obviously and is legendary in its Original full size design. Once you shrink things down in the 1911 then that's where issues can arise.

I love the way the p7 series feels, handles, and shoots. It's extremely accurate and reliable. They stopped making them so replacement parts may be a hassle in the future. The reason they stopped making them is because they were not cost effective for hk to make. The profit margin was too skinny to keep the factories making them.

Here's one more vote for the P7. I love my P7M13, and would carry it in a heartbeat if it was authorized...I carry a ParaOrd P14.45 LDA Limited, and its much heavier then my P7M13, even more so when loaded.

I'm leaning towards the HK because with the EMP... I'd want to replace the ambi safety with a Wilson Bulletproof, pay for Log Man on 1911 frorum to modify the magazines to be flush mount, and if I was going to send it out to do that, I'd probably 20 lpi the front strap.

How does the P7M8 compare in thickness to the M13? If it's insignificant, I'd go with the 13 just for the extra capacity.

MrsWombat has the EMP in 9mm, we replaced the ambi safety with an Ed Brown single sided safety. We also had to send it back to Springfield Armory to have them recut the feed ramp etc so it would feed hollow points. I've a post on the forum together with photos. I will say though that the Springfield Armory customer service was very good.

I've shot MrsWombat's EMP a fair bit and have to a I don't particularly like it and I definitely wouldn't carry it. I am not a fan of carrying firearms with externally safeties although this is just a personal view. In terms of actually shooting it, I find it can be a little excitable with +P hollow points. I much prefer the Walther PPS (my carry firearm of choice) or the M&P shield both of which I find easier to shoot and just as easy to conceal.

If you like the 1911 platform, then the EMP is probably a good option. I just prefer something else for my go to carry firearm.

HTH

TheWombat

EMP fan here. I have the EMP 40. It's heavier than the EMP 9 because it's a steel frame. It is extremely accurate. Probably the most accurate .40 that I have shot to date. It's a work of art in fit and finish. I don't have any experience with the P7, but the EMP is a fine piece.

I have no personal experience with the P7 or EMP, but I do know that the EMP has the magazine release on the side where God and John Moses Browning intended.

You haven't really said what you wanted to do with these guns. My guess is that you want to carry them in a free state.

If the gun is a range toy, get what whatever you want. Buy the P7 if you want it and enjoy yourself.

If the gun is a self-defense tool, or you own other guns with magazine releases on the side, go with the EMP and there is a very simple reason why: you will always default to your lowest level of training.

When you empty that first magazine into an attacker, go to reload and reach for the magazine release with your thumb and realize that it isn't there... well, that's not the kind of mistake you want to make when your life is in danger.

I have no personal experience with the P7 or EMP, but I do know that the EMP has the magazine release on the side where God and John Moses Browning intended.

You haven't really said what you wanted to do with these guns. My guess is that you want to carry them in a free state.

If the gun is a range toy, get what whatever you want. Buy the P7 if you want it and enjoy yourself.

If the gun is a self-defense tool, or you own other guns with magazine releases on the side, go with the EMP and there is a very simple reason why: you will always default to your lowest level of training.

When you empty that first magazine into an attacker, go to reload and reach for the magazine release with your thumb and realize that it isn't there... well, that's not the kind of mistake you want to make when your life is in danger.

The OP stated he was looking at the P7M8, which has the mag release where it should be. Your speaking of the P7 PSP with the mag release at the heel of the grip. That being said, I have had a P7 and thought it was a great gun. I would choose the P7M8 over the EMP without hesitation.

Quick shot of the p7m8, please note the mag release.

2_pistols_hk_p7m8hk_p7m8_w_ns__4_mags_100205.jpg

You know what, you are right. I immediately thought of the old State Police gun when I saw P7. It was in the title, but not the body of text, just the P7 was there.

I've posted this question on a few different forums and I"ll admit I'm suprised. I thought most people would say go for the EMP (great warranty, new, SA has great customer service, cheaper mags etc) but the overwhelmping majority says P7.

Now if CDNN or topgunsupply would just get a new batch in I'd be set.

You know what, you are right. I immediately thought of the old State Police gun when I saw P7. It was in the title, but not the body of text, just the P7 was there.

Hey, even a clock is right two times a day. Lol

Jtq1911, I don't think Cdnn or top gun supply ever sold the p7m8. The p7, is what they were selling and it has a heel mag release. Slightly different gun. You can find some p7m8's on the Hk forum or on sig forum. Also gun broker might have em.