Sign in to follow this  
OmniaMors

Flying with Guns

So should the luggage bag be padlocked with my own locks or with a TSA approved lock? I know that the gun case itself should be padlocked with me being the only person with access to it.

No, the case should be locked, the luggage should not be.

No, the case should be locked, the luggage should not be.

That may be correct, but you'll encounter different interpretations from different agents.  I've been send to the airport travel shop before to buy an extra non-TSA lock for the outside of the suitcase, because they insisted that just one on the inside gun case wasn't sufficient.  I'd bring along an extra lock or two, TSA and non-TSA flavored (because the TSA seems to cut off TSA locks about as often as they open them with the TSA master keys).

Also, the posts I've read all refered to ammo in 'factory boxes'.    Most (all?) airlines accept 'factory boxes or equivalent', so reloads in MTM or similar plastic boxes should be fine (I wouldn't mention they are reloads, though it shouldn't matter).  

Someone mentioned not to land in NYC with a handgun.  It would appear that you 1. don't ever try to check it in at a NYC airport, and 2. If your diverted from NJ it might be safer to find a Fed Ex office and sent it to your house.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/18/traveling-mans-gun-arrest-appealed-supreme-court/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/02/pregnant-mom-arrested-in-new-york-for-unloaded-handgun-in-checked-baggage/

Moral of the story, never fly out of Philly.

+1 

I've done it once, flight to LAX - the ticket was about $400 cheaper comparing to EWR. 

I didn't have a firearm, but TSA found me to be suspicious: extra questioning, padding and some chemical testing for my leather jacket :D  I'm flying few times per year from EWR and JFK - never had any extra checks before. 

Over all Philly experience was way below other airports in all categories. 

Has anyone flown out of EWR recently with a handgun? I have a trip comming up, Flying american.

Not since 2010. I flew Continental. The TSA agent asked for my key and took my Pelican rifle case into a back room that he wouldn't let me in. I was extremely uncomfortable doing that, but was told it was how they do it. If I fly again with my handgun it's going in my suitcase and nobody is opening **** without me being present.

No problems, but unlike other airports where you do it at the check in counter, someone from the airline walks you to TSA so they can check the bag. Usually adds about 10 minutes.
quote]

I have flown out of Newark several times with firearms (handguns), and this has been my experience. At the other end, it's always been, "Yeah, OK. No big deal."

Not since 2010. I flew Continental. The TSA agent asked for my key and took my Pelican rifle case into a back room that he wouldn't let me in. I was extremely uncomfortable doing that, but was told it was how they do it. If I fly again with my handgun it's going in my suitcase and nobody is opening **** without me being present.

I used to get that too Chris, but the last 2 times I flew out of EWR, they took the bag, without the keys, had me wait while they x-rayed it and I was on my way in 2-3 minutes.

Hopefully that is SOP now.

Someone mentioned not to land in NYC with a handgun.  It would appear that you 1. don't ever try to check it in at a NYC airport, and 2. If your diverted from NJ it might be safer to find a Fed Ex office and sent it to your house.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01/18/traveling-mans-gun-arrest-appealed-supreme-court/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/02/pregnant-mom-arrested-in-new-york-for-unloaded-handgun-in-checked-baggage/

Shipping it Fedwx or UPS might seem like a good idea but they won't let you ship a gun to yourself. Only to a FFL or manufacturer.

The only time I encountered Port Authority Police at Newark or JFK is when I was still working and carried my guns on the plane. Since I've retired I never had a police encounter checking my guns.

I do not know of any NJ legal impediment.  I would assume it is the same rules for transport--unloaded, securely tied package, etc.  I would check the transit company to see if they have any specific prohibitions or rules, but I do not imagine they could override transport laws.  If that is how you get to/from the range or the gun shop. 

I remember reading an Emily Miller column about handgun transport on the D.C. metro being legal (I think that is how she brought her first handgun home after purchase).  And D.C. laws are even more strict than NJ.

I do not know of any NJ legal impediment.  I would assume it is the same rules for transport--unloaded, securely tied package, etc.  I would check the transit company to see if they have any specific prohibitions or rules, but I do not imagine they could override transport laws.  If that is how you get to/from the range or the gun shop. 

I remember reading an Emily Miller column about handgun transport on the D.C. metro being legal (I think that is how she brought her first handgun home after purchase).  And D.C. laws are even more strict than NJ.

I am really curious as to a definitive answer on this. I can see a private company, such as Greyhound, being within their rights to prohibit firearms on their private property (buses). However AmTrak, and NJ Transit would be a very interesting matter, as they are both closely tied to the government. Are they prohibited areas,as government property, or conversely, being "public" are they required to remain neutral and allow anything legal?

Amtrak requires firearms to travel as checked luggage.

Yes.

In PA (and most states) public transport you can carry however you want. Including SEPTA. But they will lie to you, so stand your ground or keep your tail between your legs and a low profile if you prefer.

As far as airline luggage is concerned, you are supposed to put TSA locks on your luggage. I am not aware of any penalty if you don't except that they might cut off your locks. They cut off my TSA locks so I am probably going to stop buying them.

Your gun case. Inside your luggage or not. TSA regs require a non-TSA lock on the gun case. And you are not permitted to give the key to anyone, including TSA. You are allowed to open the case yourself to allow them to inspect it, and the airline should inspect it when you first check it.

If they demand to get your key so they can open it, tell them toFuckThemselvesAndGiveThemThe Finger, and then hand them your print out from their website that says you are not allowed to give anyone the key, and then give them the finger again. And tell them to stuff it sideways until their personal juices open it.

Yes.

In PA (and most states) public transport you can carry however you want. Including SEPTA. But they will lie to you, so stand your ground or keep your tail between your legs and a low profile if you prefer.

As far as airline luggage is concerned, you are supposed to put TSA locks on your luggage. I am not aware of any penalty if you don't except that they might cut off your locks. They cut off my TSA locks so I am probably going to stop buying them.

Your gun case. Inside your luggage or not. TSA regs require a non-TSA lock on the gun case. And you are not permitted to give the key to anyone, including TSA. You are allowed to open the case yourself to allow them to inspect it, and the airline should inspect it when you first check it.

If they demand to get your key so they can open it, tell them toFuckThemselvesAndGiveThemThe Finger, and then hand them your print out from their website that says you are not allowed to give anyone the key, and then give them the finger again. And tell them to stuff it sideways until their personal juices open it.

I believe you when you say not to give them or anyone the key, but I can't find that on there site. Could you share a link that states that.

This is the site iwas looking at and didn't see anything about the keys http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

So that I have this straight. NJ resident with a handgun, going directly from home to EWR airport, no problem?

Non-resident with handgun, going from hotel to airport, felony?

Correct?

Yes.... I just went to Fla. from AC

Counter person did not take me to TSA screening as was done in Fla.

She threw the declaration form in the bag and off I went.

This is a wrong procedure that occurred in Jersey but I was fine.

Easy procedure.

The TSA in Florida was more concerned with the contents of my bag and not the firearm.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Yes.... I just went to Fla. from AC

Counter person did not take me to TSA screening as was done in Fla.

She threw the declaration form in the bag and off I went.

This is a wrong procedure that occurred in Jersey but I was fine.

Easy procedure.

The TSA in Florida was more concerned with the contents of my bag and not the firearm.

They took you to TSA in Fla? I just flew back from Jacksonville and they just gave me the card to put in at check in, just like Phoenix, Salt Lake and Vegas.

They took you to TSA in Fla? I just flew back from Jacksonville and they just gave me the card to put in at check in, just like Phoenix, Salt Lake and Vegas.

Yeah it was weird. Walked to the TSA X RAY area. It was five minutes.

You are probably right after all it is Jersey.

I stayed with my gun in Cincinatti in a hotel

Out of state no problem.

I was thinking of what in NJ allows you to legally possess a handgun in an airport. You could argue 926A if you go directly from home to the airport I'm thinking.