liquidskin

How did the NRA find me!?

I'll preface this post by saying I'm by no means anti-NRA, but have not become a member over the past few years based on some of the things I've read. Today I received a mailer from them with the whole 9 yards: sticker, certificate, mailing labels, and of course, the postcard to return to them with my membership choice.

My question is, how did they get my name and address? I've been off their radar since becoming interested in firearms and have certainly never volunteered my info to them, meaning someone sold me out! But who? I applied for pistol permits a month ago, but doubt its my PD. I also applied for a Florida CCW, but even that seems unlikely. Could it have been Dick's? I bought a rifle from them on Friday (which I don't even have yet), so unless they are really fast I'd be surprised that's it. Only other thing I can think of is I paid for a pistol from RTSP on Saturday, but I'd be surprised if that's it, too.

Curious if anyone has had any similar experiences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you a member of any shooting organizations such as IDPA, USPSA, or 2A organizations such as NJ2AS or ANJRPC? They likely report their rolls to the mothership. Other possibilities might be gun show registration... or if they have a subscription to something like Jigsaw or data.com they could possibly segment you out for a mass mailer.

Best to not ask how...

I'd just settle for them to stop WASTING MY MONEY on all the damn mailings they do... I just re-upped about a month ago, and I get a letter YESTERDAY asking me to renew my membership already!! Really burns me, the kind of money they waste. That's why I VASTLY prefer the GOA.

Are you a member of any shooting organizations such as IDPA, USPSA, or 2A organizations such as NJ2AS or ANJRPC? They likely report their rolls to the mothership. Other possibilities might be gun show registration... or if they have a subscription to something like Jigsaw or data.com they could possibly segment you out for a mass mailer.

Best to not ask how...

I'm pretty much off the grid, not a member of any organizations (although, I really should start supporting the NJ ones, shame on me...). I'm not about to open up an exhaustive investigation on this, but it really did get me wondering. For that simple fact alone, I give them credit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ever buy sporting goods online? Have a credit card used to buy sporting goods? 'Off the grid' is difficult. Our info is in hundreds of databases being sold daily.

Sure, bought ammo from Cabelas very recently... Perhaps they are the culprits.

It's more than likely your credit card company. They don't give you those things out of a sense of charity, it's to make money. One of the ways they make money is selling your info. I bought my first from a small place, but their primary business was selling firearms, and it was in the business name. NRA stuff and catalogs started showing up in a matter of days.

It's more than likely your credit card company. They don't give you those things out of a sense of charity, it's to make money. One of the ways they make money is selling your info. I bought my first from a small place, but their primary business was selling firearms, and it was in the business name. NRA stuff and catalogs started showing up in a matter of days.

Paid with cash :)

Do you have a Dick's/Cabela's/any other firearms/sporting goods related credit cards/rewards card? Wouldn't surprise me if they "shared" your information.

Yep, Dicks rewards card and my recent rifle purchase went on that card. Very possible that's it...

Why not ask the NRA? Heck, tease them and tell them if they can tell you how they got your info you will become a member for a year. Of course, don't follow through on your end (as your prerogative)

:lol: I have a feeling they won't tell me, but it could be fun to see what they have to say

:lol: I have a feeling they won't tell me, but it could be fun to see what they have to say

Keep knocking it up to a supervisor/manager, and keep asking. Keep telling them you want to join but they have to tell you first... If they end up not wanting you as a member, well, you could keep pushing this. =)

There's two likely ways.

If you ever had any association with them, and moved, they probably got you new address through the USPS mail forwarding process when you moved. NEVER do that again. NEVER have mail forwarded for a permanent move.

Otherwise, one of your vendors sold you out. Might even be your range.