Sign in to follow this  
mustang69

1911 Idiot Mark options for repair

All,

I know it's called an idiot mark for a reason so please be kind. I thought I was being careful, but obviously not careful enough.

My Kimber Stainless Pro Carry now has the idiot mark on the frame from where the slide catch is removed when field-stripping the gun for cleaning. My question is, what are my options for fixing it? Is my only choice to send the frame out for re-finishing? I hate to think I need to live with it, it wasn't a "feature" I was looking to add.

I knew to be careful, I really was. I can't even say when I did it but it's there now and wasn't when I bought it. I'm to blame - yes, I admit it, but the gun deserves better so I want it fixed. Also, any tips to help keep me from being a repeat offender? I swear, I really was trying to be careful.

Humbly,

Dean

stainless can be easy to fix, what type of finish?

I will look on their site for a looksee..

looks like a satin finish, they do that with glass beading machine. beading material and pressure need to be duplicated to match the surface..

What I want to know is, how the heck do you push the mag catch back in without scratching the frame? All 3 of my 1911 have the love mark.

I've been using a small screw driver to hold the little pin in while performing a Vulcan neck pinch to hold the slide and frame in line while pushing in the catch. Video link please.

What I want to know is, how the heck do you push the mag catch back in without scratching the frame? All 3 of my 1911 have the love mark.

I've been using a small screw driver to hold the little pin in while performing a Vulcan neck pinch to hold the slide and frame in line while pushing in the catch. Video link please.

I use a toothpick...and yes I have Idiot marks on 2 of my 1911's..its not too visible on the stainless frame..but on the parked alloy frame it stands out

or just learn to put your gun together the correct way!

It has more to do with technique then anything, using something to protect the frame makes it that much less of a headache. You can float the lever to the latch and push down and up, but there are no promises, and it takes force... oh god don't slip!