Neted

Sig P226 recomendations?

PD tells me my FID should be available in about 1 1/2 weeks so I need to seriously consider what my first purchase will be. I'm considering the 226 elite stainless 9mm for a number of reasons I like the 9mm ammo, the gun has an interchangeable .22 barrel(so my wife can shoot comfortably), it feels right in my hands, and looks good! Is there anything I'm missing? I've shot glocks and don't really like them. Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Sig P226 USPSA (beavertail, srt trigger, dawson/warren tactical sights) - you can see it here:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/28114-sig-p226-uspsa/

I also have the .22 conversion kit which I have changed the sights on:

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/41818-sig-22-slide-aftermark-sight-review-spdtool-llc/

I've changed the grips to be Hogues as I much prefer their grippiness. I also sent the Sig to GrayGuns to have their ECLP package which makes a big difference on the trigger pull.

If you have shot the Sig and like it, then go for it. Some people dislike where the slide release is as they rest their thumb on it and the slide doesn't lock back.

I am competing in IDPA with my Sig - the DA/SA trigger takes some getting used to compared to a Glock, M&P, PPQ etc.

I would suggest trying the M&P and PPQ as well if you are able to.

hth

TheWombat

the trigger is better than the striker fired ones but it doesn't come close to a 1911 though....

people often complain about training themselves on both DA & SA. I think it's really a non issue. how much longer does it really that to cock the trigger...

If you like steel guns, don't overlook CZs. Their slide-in-frame design makes them one of the most accurate non-custom pistols made today. The metal soaks up the recoil and the single action trigger can be made to be extremely nice. Stop by Heritage Firearm Guild in Rahway. From what I understand they have a lot of CZs and Sigs.

If you like steel guns, don't overlook CZs. Their slide-in-frame design makes them one of the most accurate non-custom pistols made today. The metal soaks up the recoil and the single action trigger can be made to be extremely nice. Stop by Heritage Firearm Guild in Rahway. From what I understand they have a lot of CZs and Sigs.

some love the look of stainless vs carbon

I am competing in IDPA with my Sig - the DA/SA trigger takes some getting used to compared to a Glock, M&P, PPQ etc.

If you have any inkling of doing the same, be aware that the stainless elite competes in ESP division. Wombat's has an alloy frame which allows him to compete in SSP division. May not mean anything to you now, but it may down the road.

Unless your wife has large hands, Sig wood gripped double-stacks are really fat and will be tough for her to hold and reach the trigger and controls. The Hogue G-10's are smaller and the smallest is the Sig E2 grip.

Have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

If you have any inkling of doing the same, be aware that the stainless elite competes in ESP division. Wombat's has an alloy frame which allows him to compete in SSP division. May not mean anything to you now, but it may down the road.

Unless your wife has large hands, Sig wood gripped double-stacks are really fat and will be tough for her to hold and reach the trigger and controls. The Hogue G-10's are smaller and the smallest is the Sig E2 grip.

Have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

you know. those E grips look like they were designed for girls....

the trigger is better than the striker fired ones but it doesn't come close to a 1911 though....

people often complain about training themselves on both DA & SA. I think it's really a non issue. how much longer does it really that to cock the trigger...

Why cock the trigger. Just point and pull. It cocks it for you.

I have a 220 SAS II Compact 45 ACP (blued) and a 229 Platinum Elite 40cal which has a SS slide and black frame. I put black rubber grips on my 229 and have left the OEM 220 grips. I like sticky grips for OWB carry and the thinner hard plastic for IWB. The 220 being single stack works better IWB then the fatter 229. The sticky rubber tends to drag/ catch on my dress shirts more. The nice thing is using the same holsters for both.

I also have the 22lr slide for my 229 and use that for practice quite a bit. Sub-sonics will render it a single shot, but a well placed shot on a vermin might be what you need at times.

I LOVE 1911's for target shooting and precision work. I like my Glock 19C for shooting and carrying as a 2nd gun (or my LCP). The Sigs are the bomb. In a stressed environment there is a much less chance of forgetting to drop the lock like a 1911 and less of a chance of an accidental discharge like a Glock / XD or other striker fired set up when drawing your weapon. YMMV. But be assured, you will have chosen one of the best.

FWIW - it is easy to reduce the trigger pull by changing out springs. The Elites are work the extra coin for the little finishing details the custom shop does for you.

Enjoy it. Practice dry firing to get used to long trigger pull and you will be golden.

Great gun and I have nothing negative to say. The gun with the added weight of the stainless frame with soak up recoil. As a side note, I believe this gun cn be ordered in stainless with the black finish if you like black better.

I am not a fan of the wood grips. The feel slippery in my hands and I am a definite hogue g10 junkie.

I have a Sig P226R DAK in .40 and I love it. The DAK (DAO) trigger isn't a problem at 6.5lbs. It's the same trigger pull first time every time and it's nice and smooth. It's a decent size handgun with a little weight to it. Feels solid in your hand. The only issue (for some) is that the grip tends to be on the "fat" side because of the double-stack magazine. You can also modify the DAK trigger by replacing it with a short trigger (same 6.5lb. pull but shorter travel length).

One thing I want to add is that Sig's has good customer service. About 4 months ago I had an issue with two mags that were over a year old. I sent them to Sig to look at and they sent me two brand new mags to replace them. I only had to pay to ship my original mags to them, which wasn't that much anyways. Pretty easy to deal with, didn't give me any hassles about it. New mags work fine in my P226 Elite in 9mm which I had bought used from another NJGF member. Shoots great!

Thanks for all the input. One more question, for those who use the interchangeable barrel. Are there any issues changing the barrel? Does the gun still have the same tight tolerances or is it loose? More jamming? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input. One more question, for those who use the interchangeable barrel. Are there any issues changing the barrel? Does the gun still have the same tight tolerances or is it loose? More jamming? Thanks in advance

you mean the 22 kit? the slide is probably alloy & the mag is sort of cheap.

do yourself a favor & get a real 22 stainless revolver

I have the .22 kit on my Sig and have posted reviews on the forum. It pays for itself very quickly and I shoot a lot of .22 through my Sig. CCI mini mags work well, cheaper federal not so well.

Magazines are a bit pricey and I would recommend the SigMan conversions on the magazines. I personally think the .22 conversion is a must have, particularly to help with training.

TheWombat