vmastro87

REM 700 vs Browning XBolt your thoughts?

Can anybody weigh in on the differences or what they like better as per, quality accuracy and other non subjective things.

I have gotten to hold a 700 but never felt the trigger (good old dicks) and me and my buddy while trolling a gun store last weekend ran into some brownings. the xbolt model is awesome and the trigger is incredible. im far off from either due to funds, hoping maybe after tax season if the wife lets me just figured id start planning now.

From a strictly "Company" standpoint, I feel like Browning makes only quality products. I have been happy with every one I have owned or shot. These days I think Remington quality has slipped. Unless you are buying premium products from them (i.e. Wingmasters, 700LTR, 700P, etc), you are getting a product that may or may not be well made.

On the flip side, Remington customer support has always been top notch. I have gotten free replacement parts from them with no hassle (that the parts came off in the first place is a different story). My experience with Browning Customer Support is a shade below.

If you are NEVER going to do anything in the way of customising then if you like the browning better, roll that way. But if you want access to the ginormous sea of aftermarket parts then the Remy is the way to go. On top of that many smiths dont seem to want to work on Brownings or Rugers. Another option is the FN SPR which I would take over the remy. But I digress, what are you looking to do with the rifle??? This will factor in.

If you are NEVER going to do anything in the way of customising then if you like the browning better, roll that way. But if you want access to the ginormous sea of aftermarket parts then the Remy is the way to go. On top of that many smiths dont seem to want to work on Brownings or Rugers. Another option is the FN SPR which I would take over the remy. But I digress, what are you looking to do with the rifle??? This will factor in.

im going to use it for target shooting and possibly hunting in upstate NY (possibly but not probable). i would love to customize but i think my wife will kill me and im running out of room to store shoes in exchange for guns/parts lol

Don't keep talking so positive about those Brownings, I've been looking at them and tempted to pull the trigger..............

Don't need it for anything, but they just look so right.........

May try High Power at my club with one, just seems like such a nice rifle and I only have a Mosin right now.

Gotta decide on a caliber to use........

Don't keep talking so positive about those Brownings, I've been looking at them and tempted to pull the trigger..............

Don't need it for anything, but they just look so right.........

May try High Power at my club with one, just seems like such a nice rifle and I only have a Mosin right now.

Gotta decide on a caliber to use........

7mm rem-mag. Perfect all around caliber.

Both Lunker and Shane make great, compelling points.

Browning has never put their name on a lemon and they market quality products. The X-bolt has some new features like being individually bedded to the stock to get the most out of the components. Browning's standard 60-degree bolt lift and a new adjustable trigger mechanism make it noteworthy when compared to the Remington.

Remington's 700 has been around since the 60's. It's a proven design and add-on alternatives and parts are plentiful these days that allow you to really customize the rifle. I like older Remington's, the new ones don't impress me, or maybe they are just not to my liking.

I don't think one brand is more accurate than the other.

If you've felt the trigger on the X-Bolt... I am surprised you are even considering anything else. There's no creep, no takeup, it's (to me) incredible that they get results like this out of a "mass produced" gun.

True, but some early production mass-produced rifles had some great triggers too. Early Remington's could be adjusted to a crisp break slightly below 3 lbs. that was still safe to carry/use. Pre-64 Winchester M70's had the simplest of triggers with few parts yet were rugged and could be tuned to a light crisp pull. FN Mauser rifles imported under the Browning name back in the 50's & 60's had a Model 70-style trigger. It was simple, rugged and a joy to use.

What could be more simpler than a pre-64 Winchester M70 trigger system? https://workspaces.a...3otfhEvUZSVAuwg

I am accustomed and well versed with the Rem 700 platform. It has always worked well for me and I have had never had a lemon. The amount of customization you can do to one of these rifles is unlimited. The sky is the limit and only depends on the thickness of your wallet. Everything on the Remmy can be upgraded or replaced. If you like this option then I would go w/ Remington.

At the end of the day, I am sure both rifles will shoot bugholes with the right guy pulling the trigger.

I am accustomed and well versed with the Rem 700 platform. It has always worked well for me and I have had never had a lemon. The amount of customization you can do to one of these rifles is unlimited. The sky is the limit and only depends on the thickness of your wallet. Everything on the Remmy can be upgraded or replaced. If you like this option then I would go w/ Remington.

At the end of the day, I am sure both rifles will shoot bugholes with the right guy pulling the trigger.

What are some of the most popular upgrades in .308?

Upgrades to the 700 SA/LA are not necessarily caliber-specific.

What Shane noted to include stocks, barrels & triggers, can be expounded upon to include aluminum bolt shrouds, M70-style 3-position safety bolt shrouds, speedlock firing pins and springs, Sako-style extractor, cocking piece, reduced-power ejector springs, bottom metal, magazine box upgrades and different configuration bolt handles. I'm sure I missed something but there is a lot you can do to a 700 that you can't with some others.

Easy ones would be a more ergonomic drop in stock like HS Precision, AI, Manners w/ Mini Chasis, KRG Whiskey 3, and Mcrees. Drop the barreled action into the stock and then torque down the two action bolts and you are good to go. Also, the factory triggers can be adjusted for a lighter trigger pull or an aftermarket trigger can be installed very easily. Jewel, Huber, Timney, and Rifle Basix are some of the more common ones. A match barrel can be installed to replace the factory barrel but you would need a gunsmith to do that.

I can vouch for the slip in Remington quality.

Here's a picture of bore defects in a brand new 2007 700 XCR.

2658_5072ee4853bb7.jpg

2658_5072ee5e00fcc.jpg

I bought the gun this fall, but it was NIB, so I sent it back to Remington. With some prodding, they replaced it with the new 700 Mountain SS, so I can't complain too much, although the Mountain SS bore looks like a washboard. It shoots alright though....was getting sub-MOA groups out of the factory Remington Express Core-Lokt 140 gr ammo.

Here it is with the Boyds Featherweight stock I got for Christmas (and my new 870 Express).

2658_50dc58646306d.jpg

Who stocks the Browning rifles so I can take a ride and check them out sometime?

G&H looks close to you, they carry everything else high-end and the sky is the limit there, but they have some.

http://www.browning....h=Locate+Dealer

Belleplain Supply has a very good selection of Browning's. That's their niche.

http://www.browningguncenter.com/

You know I never chimed in on this because I did not want to seem biased, but I wanted to add- I am the new owner of a Remington 700 and for me it's exactly what I wanted , it's a tactical style civilian 'sniper rifle' build if you will. Exactly what I wanted, it's already pretty awesome but the sky is the limit as far as upgrading. I don't plan on it but even if I wanted to change the barrel in the future, not a problem. I can upgrade the stock, trigger, trigger group/etc. , someday I might decide I want a 20MOA rail, etc.

The Browning is a beautiful rifle designed for hunting. There are Remington 700s designed for hunting and for beautiful looks, not all of them are. All the Brownings are beautiful. I seriously liked the A-Bolt so much just to have for a hunting rifle but I really am never planning on hunting, and certainly don't need AN ADDITIONAL rifle for hunting in addition to my R700. BUT If I did. and wanted a showpiece, Browning A-Bolt (The X-Bolt is the newer neater) would be it.

Of course, I would most likely just pick up a Savage 10 - .'Trophy Hunter' .308 w/ Nikon scope, 22" bbl, Walnut stock w/ beautiful color and checkering - $542 AbleAmmo .com -- that is SUCH a nice rifle at SUCH a cheap price... If it the browning? Nope. Is it worth every penny IMHO? Absolutely. And it's AT LEAST double for those Brownings.

And I have a comparable Savage, my MK II GXP .22LR is basically the same thing in a miniature .22LR package, it is so beautiful and so classy... and it was like $150. The Browning's are total showpieces and beautiful weapons but almost overkill living in NJ.

I can only speak in behalf of the R700's (.308). For what I do/shoot (long range), it's unreal. Depending on which one you're looking at, with simple upgrades can potentially be shooting .25 MOA. And I'm just talking bedding (factory or aftermarket stock depending), trigger adjusting for your liking, and the rest is up to you.

There's a reason its platform is used today by most us bolt action snipers. If you want accuracy in a weapon, what more proof do you need? The shots they take are usually more important than ours.

Easy to upgrade, plentiful parts, both factory and aftermarket, and can become one of the most accurate rifles on the planet.

+1 for the remmy

A more vintage 700 and customization to suit you cannot be beat! If you are buying new, and do not see yourself tinkering with it, the Browning is tough to beat out of the box and I speak from experience as a buddy and I just mounted optics to his and were sighting it in, fresh out of the box, just last week! I was thoroughly impressed.

I don't plan on tinkering with it. I don't have anywhere that I plan on shooting past 100 yards, and I plan on shooting with iron sights, which don't seem common to find on these guns. I also do not hunt. It is more of a " I just want it because" kind of gun.

Belleplain Supply has a very good selection of Browning's. That's their niche.

http://www.browningguncenter.com/

Yeah, and the guy will talk crap on every other brand gun. My friends and I have all boycotted the shop because of his attitude. Not to mention his prices suck.

Yeah, and the guy will talk crap on every other brand gun. My friends and I have all boycotted the shop because of his attitude. Not to mention his prices suck.

No one in a gunshop should ever intimidate you. And no one says you have to buy from them. Just looking over the goods is harmless. Prices are what they are, and Browning's don't run cheap. If you want to see high markups, go to Griffin & Howe's store.

No one in a gunshop should ever intimidate you. And no one says you have to buy from them. Just looking over the goods is harmless. Prices are what they are, and Browning's don't run cheap. If you want to see high markups, go to Griffin & Howe's store.

One of these days, dressed in a custom made suit, with a bankroll in my pocket, until then, I won't stop in there.

One of these days, dressed in a custom made suit, with a bankroll in my pocket, until then, I won't stop in there.

Go visit their Connecticut store. You'll feel like you should have brought a bottle of wine and some appetizers with you.

http://www.griffinhowe.com/connecticut.cfm

I'm a fan of the r700. Just remember when buying one that they make all kinds of models. Some are crap and some are quality rifles. Do your research. My moto is buy once cry once. I recommend the the police or 5r version. They are a bit more but you get what you pay for.

at CMO I walked in in mid - to -late October, dressed in a leather jacket , jeans, Timberland boots, and a hoodie (Black hoodie w/ black Timberland nice leather jacket) I went in to buy something. I just had got my settlement for a WC surgery and I had some money and wanted to just buy a new toy right then and there, nothing 2-3G's but a shotgun I figured, say $500 bucks, maybe $700 if it was the top of the line model etc. it was empty, no one would help me. The guy who I thought was nice, and would later be absolutely disrespected and called me a liar to my face (When I said, you don't remember me being in here two days ago buying a Remington 700, now I am buying Saiga 12, two days ago I was in buying a Remington 700, you came over to interject when you saw I was going to also buy a $1000 scope you came to tell me your opinion... AND YOU DON'T REMEMBER ME AT ALL?? -- "I NEVER TALKED TO YOU IN MYW LIFE YO ARE A LIAR!!!!! "Etc. ) Anyway this guy is doing nothing, I try to get his attention, nothing, wouldn't do anything ,etc. I ask someone else, Do you have any Mossberg 590A1's ? The guy says, yeah we have a few, walks away. I am waiting for this sparky or lucky or somethng named like that, he looks at me still nothing.

I thgen take out a carefully banded and brand new from the bank package of $5000 (all $100's banded nicely) and hold them in my hand while looking at the shotgun section. He says, get this, from the other end where he is doing nothing and not helping me, "OH YOU ARE NOT JUST LOOKING????".

LOL. And what if I WAS? But now that I took out a wad of money, I can get help? Then he was rude because I did not buy the 590A1 they had. They had a few 590's and one 590A1 but not the 590A1 models I wanted ( 20" bbl, 9-shot, ghost ring sights etc.) He just couldn't understand, WHY DONT YOU JUST TAKE THIS ONE, it says 590A1. LOL. Dude, just lol. I'm out. I went to Dick's in Fairless Hills and the two younger college aged kids could not help me and serve/etc. me enough, and an hour and a half later I was walking ou with the new Remington 700 Tactical which became my project. BUT- it shows you how you said dressed in a suit etc. YOu'd be suyrprised how people's attitudes etc. change when you are dressed/showing yourself dsifferently.