Neted

What States' CCW permit do I want to get?

Utah will get you into some places that Florida won't (I think Nevada at least), but there's more class time involved to fulfill the requirements, so it's a little more onerous.

Once you get your Florida one, New Hampshire is easy to get - a very simple one page form with no photos or fingerprints, and easy to renew, so that's a nice one to have just because it's easy to get. New Hampshire issues them to anyone who has a permit from anywhere else.

A lot of people get Virginia, but you get a really cheesy laminated card from them that looks fake and is too big to fit in your wallet and there is no renewal procedure, you have to re-apply and take your fingerprints and photos and get notary signatures and all of that if you want to renew, every five years. So I didn't renew my Virginia one. Yeah you have to go through that again for Florida, but at least Florida sends you the renewal form in the mail so you are set up, and once you get your pictures and fingerprints and notary stamp, the Florida permit lasts 7 years and gives you an official looking card and has more states covered.

I had a Maine one, but that one lasts only 4 years, and by the time I realized it, it was expired. They never sent a renewal form either. Maine you can apply without fingerprints also, so it's something you can do just by printing out forms and photocopying permits and sending a check. If you are going to go up to Maine, it is a good thing to have since legally speaking you need a concealed weapons permit there to have a pocketknife in your pocket.

Most states you need to show up somewhere in person, or take a local class, which means you can't do it unless you actually travel there and take the time to do it.

Here's a link with a lot of info on this. I used this link a little over 5 years ago to get the information for mine.

http://handgunlaw.us/documents/NonResidentPermits.pdf

Things might have changed since I last looked this over, since it's updated from time to time.

I would also recommend getting the Utah. The only problem is you will need to apply also to Florida and I believe Virgina if you want those states.

Florida gets you Virgina http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html

I took the Utah and Florida CCW class from GAPP and highly recommend it. You walk out of the class with everything you need to apply. All forms filled out. Fingerprints. Passport sized photos. The complete package. All you need to do is mail the paperwork with a check or money order, then sit back and wait for your permits to arrive. http://www.gappnj.com/upcoming_courses/utfl_ccw

I'm thinking of taking the Utah class. I have family in Virginia, Nevada and Florida unfortunately. That seems to be the only way to cover all bases. THANKS for the help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

it doesnt hurt to get every one you can. if you ever plan to travel to a certain state, its helpful to have that specific state's permit, whether another states permit is valid there or not. i have florida, arizona, virginia, new hampshire, and connecticut. CT is close enough that i can conceivably go there for some reason, plus they do NOT accept any other state permit, but its easy to get their non-resident permit. florida covers VA, but since i have family there and may go at some point, i got the VA just in case.

You want to get an NJ permit, because that's the only one that is of any use to you 99.999% percent of your life. The rest are just for Cabela's-Carry weekend warrior adventures, or vacations. If you go 358 days a year without a CCW and have lived thus far to tell the tale, there's little sense in carrying the other 7. This sentiment is echoed by just about anyone with a CCW - they either carry always, or never.

But, that's just my 2 cents.

You want to get an NJ permit, because that's the only one that is of any use to you 99.999% percent of your life. The rest are just for Cabela's-Carry weekend warrior adventures, or vacations. If you go 358 days a year without a CCW and have lived thus far to tell the tale, there's little sense in carrying the other 7. This sentiment is echoed by just about anyone with a CCW - they either carry always, or never.

That is useless advice.

You're the idiot. I agree with TheSmokingGun on this one

Much like encouraging someone to obtain a CCW permit which is more useful as a coaster than anything else.

PA actually isn't very far from anyone in New Jersey, and many people may spend substantial amount of time there because of work, family, and/or friends.

How do you know how much time he spends in PA or any of the other 30 odd states that accept Florida's permit? Who are you to judge of what use something may be to another when you know nothing of his circumstances?

I do agree that a NJ permit would be most useful to the majority of NJ residents, but that isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future, unless SCOTUS forces NJ to allow it.

Saying a ccw permit is only useful as a coaster is idiotic.

For someone like myself and many others, yes, an out-of-state ccw is just an expensive coaster.

I live and work in NJ as do any family/friends that I see regularly. I visit a gun club in PA roughly once a month, sometimes only once every other month. During that time, I am in the state of Pennsylvania for about 3-5 hours, which includes a trip to the gun club and sometimes lunch at a nearby deli. I have family in Florida, however I have not been to Florida in years. I went on vacation this year for one week, to California.

In my life, and I'm sure the lives of most others, the CCW is either useful literally for hours a year, or not useful at all. Perhaps other people go on business trips or see family out of state multiple times a year, and for them it may be of some use. Though still not much.

I'm not sure why your response to this assertion is so hostile.

For someone like myself and many others, yes, an out-of-state ccw is just an expensive coaster.

I live and work in NJ as do any family/friends that I see regularly. I visit a gun club in PA roughly once a month, sometimes only once every other month. During that time, I am in the state of Pennsylvania for about 3-5 hours, which includes a trip to the gun club and sometimes lunch at a nearby deli. I have family in Florida, however I have not been to Florida in years. I went on vacation this year for one week, to California.

In my life, and I'm sure the lives of most others, the CCW is either useful literally for hours a year, or not useful at all. Perhaps other people go on business trips or see family out of state multiple times a year, and for them it may be of some use. Though still not much.

I'm not sure why your response to this assertion is so hostile.

LOL. Hostile is a strong word. You have to call out the trolls when you find them.

Because you personally never leave the state of NJ, you are discouraging people from getting a ccw permit and comparing it to a coaster? The OP already mentioned having family all over the country that he visits and asked for advice on which permit to get. Let him spend his money how he wants.

A Florida permit is nice to have even if you never leave NJ. If actual use were the criterion for our purchases life would not be interesting. Just being able to show the permit to others, give them the tangible proof that the rest of the country considers carrying not to be a big deal, is worth it. Most people in NJ have no clue and it is nice to show them the card.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Seriously. People have pretty thin skin if they think disagreement is trolling. :roll eyes: hd2000 when there's a dozen pizzas getting delivered to your house and your high school yearbook photo is being passed around the photoshop circuit, THEN you have met a troll lol.

Pepperoni please... LOL