zoid

Any point in getting a long range rifle if I can only shoot 200 yds max?

I shot at Ft. Dix for the first time and it was a very nice range. Now that I have a

place to use rifles I started considering getting more into long guns. I was thinking

about getting an R700, Ruger Scout, or Mossberg MVP. But is there really any

point if all I'm shooting is 200 yards? Keep in mind I currently have an AR15 that

just has iron sights on it right now (will probably ge an Aimpoint Pro). I think that

is just find for 200 yard work. Do I really need a dedicated rifle platform?

Let me get this right... you're going on a gun forum and asking us if you should buy another gun...

Need is a very subjective word.

Life is too short to buy guns that you just *need.*

200 yards is actually a lot harder than you think. Of course, with optics you can enhance the targets' visibility, but that doesn't guarantee accuracy or consistency on your end. Even if you current rig is a tack driver and you're a natural behind the scope, there's plenty of ways to make the yardage count and wick up the challenge factor. You can turn the scope down, go to smaller targets, go to iron sights, shoot off-hand, etc. Point is, don't write 200 off as a piece of cake just yet.

Good point Jon. Just like how you can make indoor pistol shooting more challenging by doing new drills I'm sure you can get creative with rifle. I just thought at 200yd an AR is plenty accurate where you won't tell a difference between it and a dedicated long range/bolt action style rifle. Especially since I'm considering the same caliber (223). Do you think that's the case? Bolt action might be a good thing for me. 200 plus rounds did not last long. I shoot rifle like I shoot pistol.

A bolt action will naturally slow your shooting down. Also, try reloading for rifle. Once you see how long it takes to prep rifle brass, you'll slow down even more! lol

Shooting something like 308 is a whole different ballgame compared to 223 as 223 recoil is negligible compared to anything in 308 and above. Get behind a 208 bolt and watch your flinch factor peg after shooting your AR15. :) Which, i might add, is yet another thing that adds to the overall difficulty level of shooting high rifles.

I had a .30-06 bolt action that I really liked having, but shooting it became infrequent at best. My range only has a 100yd range and I quickly outgrew it. the .30-06 round also became a very expensive round to "plink" with.

My take would be if you want one, get one, but do your research and know what your getting into. 100yds was fun for a while but to really test it I'd have to go out to Easton. I wasn't able to do it very often.

I just looked up ammo prices for various rifle rounds and it's too much for me. I think 223 is probably best. Should have never even went into this forum.

Next thread topic: Help me find a good first rifle! LOL.

Well, there's "need" and there's "enjoy."

Unless you are in a sport that is looking for great accuracy, it is not much of a challenge to shoot 200 yards with a high power rifle and a big scope, but it's challenging enough with iron sights, as you know. Many people find it enjoyable to do it with a variety of rifles. I personally like to shoot many different .22s also. If you want more challenge, use a smaller target!

If your looking for a bolt action 223 I highly recommend the mossberg MVP with the 24" barrel. I picked one up a few months back from bullseye tactical and it is an awesome shooter. Bit I have buddies with property upstate that I can stretch it out a bit.

If your looking for a bolt action 223 I highly recommend the mossberg MVP with the 24" barrel. I picked one up a few months back from bullseye tactical and it is an awesome shooter. Bit I have buddies with property upstate that I can stretch it out a bit.

I handled one at Shore Shot and the trigger is super nice. It's definitely on my short list of the ones I"m considering.

I shot at Ft. Dix for the first time and it was a very nice range. Now that I have a

place to use rifles I started considering getting more into long guns. I was thinking

about getting an R700, Ruger Scout, or Mossberg MVP. But is there really any

point if all I'm shooting is 200 yards? Keep in mind I currently have an AR15 that

just has iron sights on it right now (will probably ge an Aimpoint Pro). I think that

is just find for 200 yard work. Do I really need a dedicated rifle platform?

Lets put it this way. I was a s&w 642. We all know I can't carry. Is that going to stop me? I'd say a nice bolt action will be more useful than that.

i use 50 ft slow fire pistol targets at 100 yds when shooting my garand. its quite challenging with the iron sights. but if you want one and have the coin then get one. we really only need one rifle one pistol and one shotgun but where is the fun in that?

I hope you mean one in each caliber and model available :)

Just do it. WHEN you do, and WHEN you find a place that you can reach out 500+ yards, it's going to be all you want to do.

But a good thing about you holding off on it now for money reasons, is that maybe you can get a 22lr bolt action now, and really get your basics covered. The best way to improve (for me anyway) is getting back to basics with something light and easy, i.e. 22lr. muscle memory, breathing, keeping eyes open, etc...

That being said, you need a long range rifle, yes. it's a law of nature. Hell, my next long gun will (hopefully) be in .338 lapua :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: