hardlife_nef

Union City app process changed

I just got off the phone with the chief of police. He was calling to inform me that effective immediately UCPD will be following state law and dropping its additional paperwork requirements. A small victory, but shows that it can be done. I usually like to keep a low profile but am glad I rocked the boat in this case. Hope other towns follow suit. Dont be discouraged. It happened here and our mayor who is a member of mayors against illegal guns helped.

It was all rather simple. I called the mayor and asked why was it that the city was not following state law. This was late Jan of last year. He had the chief call me and I explained what was going on. He seemed surprised andtook copious notes during our conversation. He had just been appointed chief and told me he would look into it, but as he had just taken over it might be a while. I gave him 3 months to settle in before following up. I never heard bac from him even though I would call and leave my info with his secretary several times a week. As many of you know the fbi served the city with a warrant over some construction irregularities recently, well yesterday I got a letter from the mayor about how his administration would always help in any investigation and that any employee found to be engaged in illegal ctivities would have termination proceedings begun. So I called the mayor and asked how it was that his letter stated one thing yet the city did not follow state law for application of fid. Again he had the chief call me. He apolgized for not having followed up and that he would speak with council on how to proceed, to which my comment was that I did not have the luxury of consulting with counsel on what laws I would or wouldn't follow, that the law well at least that specific part was very clear. He assured me he would look into it. A couple hours later he called to inform me that the city would follow the state law. He had discovered that the additional paperwork policy had been unilateraly instated by a clerk ome time ago (no longer around). He had spoken with the state police on how they handled it and what their advice was. He was told they followed the state law and recommended he do they same. So since the city policy was unilaterally changed against the state law he would unilaterally change it to follow state law.

I'm not going to tell you that a simple conversation will work in your town, but that should not stop you from having it. Who knows, that might be all it takes. Our mayor told me he personally didnt think just anyone should have a gun, but he also did his job and kept his oath of office by supporting the constitution. So props on that account. Its not every politician that will encourage a policy change that goes against his beliefs. While that is how it should be it doesnt always work that way.

<rant> The way things are going in this country we all need to stop making excuses and stand up for our rights. They will take them if you let them. Just because you are a member of NJ2AS, the NRA or any other org doesnt mean youve done all you can. Dont get me wrong we should all support as many of these pro 2A groups as we can, but dont just leave it at that. Talk to your friends, neighbors, local cop, fed hell anyone that will listen. Help them understand that while their beliefs might preclude them from owning a gun that its not right to deny a god given right to someone else. Keep beating that horse. If your tired of making the same points write them down or record yourself and pass it along that way. YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. You just have to try.</rant>

Congrats on help making some changes in the UC process. I live in UC also and went through the extensive paperwork process a couple of years ago. I never thought about questioning it at the time because to be completely honest I didn't know any better, but have learned alot since then . It took me MONTHs to get the purchase permits. I have to admit though the officiers and clerks were always pleasant and answered all of my questions. .....the wife is thinking about getting her FID now, I'm glad the process is a little easier because of people like hardlife_nef.

With your permission I'd like to use your explanation as an example in another forum's topic about Pissing and moaning and people not doing anything about it, simply because you've done something and got back results.

Dont me my permission. Have at it. As for the 30 days thing... We'll see. I hadnt applied for my permit cause I refused to go through an illegal process. Now that it has changed... Well I should have enough funds for the prints in another week or so. I will be a pest at 30 days after they have the prints. Will update with results.