Sign in to follow this  
TheDon

NJ Machine Gun Definition

Hypothetically, if someone owned a M1A and knew it to be prone to slamfire and knew to expect the rifle to double-fire at least 2 or 3 times for any 10-round magazine, could some persecutor construe that to be a machine gun?

Isn't there case law on someone who was prosecuted for a malfunctioning AR? I don't think it was as cut and dried as the scenario presented above - there was some contention about modification knowingly done to the gun, but I believ the decision to convict hinged on the simple fact that it fired more than one round with one pull of the trigger - not what caused that. So, yes, I believe you could be prosecuted.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Isn't there case law on someone who was prosecuted for a malfunctioning AR? I don't think it was as cut and dried as the scenario presented above - there was some contention about modification knowingly done to the gun, but I believ the decision to convict hinged on the simple fact that it fired more than one round with one pull of the trigger - not what caused that. So, yes, I believe you could be prosecuted.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Yes, but there were M16 fire control group parts installed IIRC. Under ATF regs, anything that fires more than one round with a single manipulation of a trigger (I think some shotguns exempted) could be a MG

Not a legal question, but I know there are some gunsmith on here too:

Are there any correction/adjustments that can be made to the firing pin that will lessen this behavior?

Not a legal question, but I know there are some gunsmith on here too:

Are there any correction/adjustments that can be made to the firing pin that will lessen this behavior?

it sounds like that rifle needs to be inspected IMMEDIATELY, while it could be something as simple as soft primers/sh!tty ammo, it could also be indicative of bad sear/trigger engagement. Have whoever owns that rifle get it checked, before they have an Out-of-Battery issue and hurt themselves or someone else.

it sounds like that rifle needs to be inspected IMMEDIATELY, while it could be something as simple as soft primers/sh!tty ammo, it could also be indicative of bad sear/trigger engagement. Have whoever owns that rifle get it checked, before they have an Out-of-Battery issue and hurt themselves or someone else.

NATO M80 Ball. Not match quality but certainly not junk.

Good advice. Better safe than sorry.

NATO M80 Ball. Not match quality but certainly not junk.

Good advice. Better safe than sorry.

That's what I was afraid you'd say. if it's doing that with Surplus Ammo, then that gun needs to go to the Gun Doc RTFN

Is it slam firing, or are you bump firing it with a light trigger? That's a MUCH more common scenario I ahve found with .308 and above semi autos. Bump firing like that is jsut poor technique (or a a matter of a specific kind of flinch).

Is it slam firing, or are you bump firing it with a light trigger? That's a MUCH more common scenario I ahve found with .308 and above semi autos. Bump firing like that is jsut poor technique (or a a matter of a specific kind of flinch).

Could be. It has a match trigger that breaks like glass and has a very short reset.

I send 100 rounds throug each of my AR and my AK for every round I send through my M1A. I might just have a heavy finger and be un-worthy of the Springfield.

Could be. It has a match trigger that breaks like glass and has a very short reset.

I send 100 rounds throug each of my AR and my AK for every round I send through my M1A. I might just have a heavy finger and be un-worthy of the Springfield.

For a test, just run through some ammo and make sure you follow through an keep the trigger pinned back. Don't worry about shooting well, just keeping it pinned.